Grand Theft America speculation (Ultimates 2 spoilers)

Re: The Afhganistan map

Only in the wildest dreams of arrogant westerners would such a map even be thought to be funny, possible or desired.

Not that many people in the WEST (particularly the USA) could find Afhanistan on a map of the world.

Furthermore - Afghanistan? NOT in the Middle East.

Are we all off subject again?

Re: Afghansitan map

Yeah, well I'm a South Asian and didn't think the map was at all funny. Good thing democracy allows all sorts of opinions. A pity, though, that the implied disappearance of a whole country (with a far longer and nobler history than many other countries of the world) is considered funny.

No doubt if someone posted a map showing an extinct or destroyed USA they would end up on some CIA/FBI list - that is if the map was allowed to be posted.

I guess patriotism isn't just for American ccitizens. We South Asians can be patriotic too - about our nations and our region.

As for the GTA storyline - I guess an invasion is as likely a plot them as anything - wonder how the superhero Ultimates would react to becoming agents of the State?

By the way Bass - love your posts.

ranaj said:
Yeah, well I'm a South Asian and didn't think the map was at all funny. Good thing democracy allows all sorts of opinions. A pity, though, that the implied disappearance of a whole country (with a far longer and nobler history than many other countries of the world) is considered funny.

I think you're missing the point. The picture is supposed to be ironic, not malicious. It's not that Afhganistan no longer exists, but rather that a huge force would sink Afghanistan, a force that is implied to be of the same origins as the makers of the map (American - the map is in English) and that to circumvent the tragedy of the situation, the map labels it as a "Lake", as if this is a desirable, and natural piece of the region's geography.

It's not funny because Afghanistan has been destroyed, it's funny because it's been destroyed and "replaced" with a large lake.

ranaj said:
By the way Bass - love your posts.

You better. *shakes fist*

Afghanistan

Bass you are way too reasonable.

I can go with the irony idea - but do you think the Americans will get it?

Nice town, Folkstone.

You are the second person on the boards to tell me that I'm reasonable.

Perhaps I should change...

Also, I think some Americans will get it. Others won't. Just like some Arabs will and some won't. Some Europeans will and some won't. And some South Asian's will, and some won't. We're more alike than we are different. :D

ranaj said:
Furthermore - Afghanistan? NOT in the Middle East.

ranaj said:
Yeah, well I'm a South Asian and didn't think the map was at all funny.

It's not in South Asia either...

ranaj said:
I can go with the irony idea - but do you think the Americans will get it?

Wow - that's the post of the year. Do you not see the "irony" that you didn't "get it" yourself?

ranaj said:
No doubt if someone posted a map showing an extinct or destroyed USA they would end up on some CIA/FBI list - that is if the map was allowed to be posted.

You'll get over it.

I hope.

For your sake.

Ha

You guys are HILARIOUS, in your own right. Which by the way does not belong to me. Also I would think a map of Lake USA would be funny. Depending on the situation that is. But does anyone have a clue about Fury? I don't want him a bad guy 'cause he's like awesome. And black. But do think Loki is pulling his strings or what?

Latari'sFighter said:
You guys are HILARIOUS, in your own right. Which by the way does not belong to me. Also I would think a map of Lake USA would be funny. Depending on the situation that is. But does anyone have a clue about Fury? I don't want him a bad guy 'cause he's like awesome. And black. But do think Loki is pulling his strings or what?

Oh yeah, "The Ultimates". Forgot about them.

You know, I just realised Lake America wouldn't work. All the water would run out the sides

I don't think I've contributed a single useful thing to this thread to expiate that post. Oh well.

Caduceus said:
You know, I just realised Lake America wouldn't work. All the water would run out the sides

I don't think I've contributed a single useful thing to this thread to expiate that post. Oh well.

You're right. America wouldn't be a lake anyway, it would be an ocean.

moonmaster said:
You're right. America wouldn't be a lake anyway, it would be an ocean.
Exactly. The American Ocean. My lack of contribution is now rectified.

Don't fear the stupifying, just embrace it.............

:shock:

Geez, an Ultimate geography thread. Allow me to get back to some the speculation. Recall that Banner gave Pym all his super-soldier research when the two seemingly reconciled? Perhaps the key to Ultron is that he's the outgrowth of the marriage of Banner and Pym's individual work.

Add to that the fact that Pym has everything he needs to know about the Wasp's mutant powers -- to the point where he was able to replicate them in himself. Maybe all these ingredients -- mutant power, super-soldier serum, even enhanced suits--figure into the Ultimate Ultron makeup.

I like the idea raised earlier that he's humanoid. Maybe "Grand Theft America" is Ultron hijacking the Ultimates (and maybe masquerading as Captain America) while he builds an army of replicants. Maybe those folks we see on the cover of #7 are an army of Ultrons, perhaps even meant to replace the original Ultimates (also harkening back to the Banner-Pym final conversation.

And then they go haywire and try to conquer the world, or at least Lake Afghanistan.

Parthuman said:
Geez, an Ultimate geography thread. Allow me to get back to some the speculation.

Thank you. You just saved this thread from being locktivated.

Latest posts

Back