Grand Theft Auto Online

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
I figured this deserves a thread distinct from GTA V.

Anyway, the game went live this morning. I tried dicking around with it a bit this afternoon but R* is currently having server issues, which make it (as far as I can tell) impossible to play.

I did get through the character creation system and the introductory mission. Character creation is weird. You choose from a variety of preset grandparents to determine your appearance, and then toggle it by choosing how much you resemble either of your parents. Or you can choose James Marston as your daddy, for some reason. R* said they chose this option because the typical facial creation systems in other games didn't make much sense to them, but this strikes me as far more awkward and frustrating to utilize. I wouldn't be surprised to see the creation tools changing in later updates. I for one, was expecting the options to be dominated by established Rockstar universe characters and for those to have an effect on your stats but instead it's purely cosmetic and honestly pretty clunky.

After that, it dropped me in the city with an introductory cutscene involving Lamar and a street race to get me acclimated to the game. I'm impressed by the level of story they're trying to inject into a side project like this, but I didn't get much opportunity to explore. As soon as the race was over, the game froze up and my attempt to log back in was hindered by server overload.

I'm really excited for this but I think I'll wait until I hear it's all running smoothly before I even attempt to start it.

I'm really excited for this but I think I'll wait until I hear it's all running smoothly before I even attempt to start it.

I just played for about an hour. The server problems seem to be smoothed out. It took me a short time to load up, but once that was over, it was smooth sailing. I'm the only one out here repping the Dracs.

I'm out here slangin' and bangin' urreryday.

Last edited:
It looks like it's all sorted out for the PS3 - I did the tutorials and then joined a crew member to play tennis, rob some stores and steal some cars and meth. While I was robbing a store I saw another player sneak behind my car, clearly planning on killing me and taking my money, but I popped her in the head as I exited the store and drove off with my loot.

I'm looking forward to a bunch of us playing together.

While I was robbing a store I saw another player sneak behind my car, clearly planning on killing me and taking my money, but I popped her in the head as I exited the store and drove off with my loot

Wow. That's awesome.

Dudes like to camp out and pounce on robberies in progress.... which is silly, because as far as I can tell, robbing a player only nets you a hundred bucks.

I can't imagine wasting time camping out waiting for a robbery. So, so. so much stuff you can do.

Project and I played last night. There where some moments where I was set back into the main game, but for the most part it worked well. We played a little bit of tennis, got an entire golf session in, and robbed a store and a half. I say a half because he accidentally hit me with his shotgun trying to hit the clerk and killed me. Then I was sent to heaven! There was a heaven cut scene!!

Project and I played last night. There where some moments where I was set back into the main game, but for the most part it worked well. We played a little bit of tennis, got an entire golf session in, and robbed a store and a half. I say a half because he accidentally hit me with his shotgun trying to hit the clerk and killed me. Then I was sent to heaven! There was a heaven cut scene!!

newb

Houses are so expensive...

I'm at lvl 10 and only about a fifth to the quarter of the way to being able to buy a decently priced house with a 6 car garage.

Sure, "accidentally."

I was really intimidated by this game when I first started but once you get into it and you actually find other players who want to do the missions and stuff instead of just shooting you in the face it's really great. I won a few races last night and ranked up to level 11 or 12 and just got a call from Lester so I'm excited to see if heists are going to be available soon.

Houses are so expensive...

I'm at lvl 10 and only about a fifth to the quarter of the way to being able to buy a decently priced house with a 6 car garage.

It would be neat if crew members could pool their money to buy and share homes, garages etc.

Last edited:
Sure, "accidentally."

I was really intimidated by this game when I first started but once you get into it and you actually find other players who want to do the missions and stuff instead of just shooting you in the face it's really great. I won a few races last night and ranked up to level 11 or 12 and just got a call from Lester so I'm excited to see if heists are going to be available soon.

Word from R* is heists haven't been implemented yet. They're going to be a future update, but they aren't on the list of planned updates yet, so it might be a little while. Also, you need a house to plan a heist. I've been doing mostly races and deathmatches, but the few missions I've been able to get a good team with have been fantastic.

ProjectX2 said:
It would be neat if crew members could pool their money to buy and share homes, garages etc.

I approve of this. Crew owned businesses would be fantastic too. Pool your resources together to buy an Ammu*Nation and crew members get discounts on guns and ammo. Or buy an airstrip and the crew gets a weekly income that can be distributed by the crew leader, and members running drug and gun deals out of the airstrip increase that income.

Oh, and I went to go see Lester. All he does is tell you you should buy a house and unlock the ability to put bounties on the heads of other players.

Stupid Lester, I can't afford a house yet!

So, this is kind of cool and all, but I don't get what makes it all bold and revolutionary from Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer which I recall being more or less the same.

So, this is kind of cool and all, but I don't get what makes it all bold and revolutionary from Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer which I recall being more or less the same.

It has cars.

Latest posts

Back