Green Arrow/Super Max

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
Super Max

FROM FLASH TO GREEN ARROW
'Super Max' film to focus on DCU villains

By Mike Cotton
Posted April 7, 2007 10:25 AM

Maybe it was giving up the gig writing and directing "The Flash" for Warner Bros., but it seems like David Goyer's a little bit more into villains these days.

Just weeks after he and Warners envisioned very different takes on the Flash, Goyer sold the studio on an idea that focused on the more villainous side of the DC Universe.

"Super Max" is Goyer's take on supervillain incarceration in the DCU. Revolving around a wrongly convicted Green Arrow being whisked away to the super max prison for out-of-control heroes and villains (where he's forced to face a number of inmates he put there), Goyer says the flick—which he's developing with writer Justin Marx—isn't just a Green Arrow film.

"He's Green Arrow for the first 10 minutes of the movie, and then he's arrested and his secret identity is revealed," says Goyer, who also has plans to do a graphic novel or miniseries that would tie in to the possible film. "They shave his goatee and they take his costume and send him to prison for life, and he has to escape. It's like 'Alcatraz,' and he has to team up with, in some cases, some of the very same villains he is responsible for incarcerating in order to get out and clear his name. Of course, tons of people try to kill him while he's in there. We've populated the prison with all sorts of B and C villains from the DC Universe. For the fans, there will be all sorts of characters the hardcore comic book junkies will know, but they're all going to be there under their human names and no one is wearing a costume, but there will be a lot of characters with powers and things like that."

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING.

Re: Super Max

Didn't some one came up with this idea here kinda like an Oz of the Ultimate Universe, are DC's spywatching us? :shifty:

Last edited:

Didn't some one came up with this idea here kinda like an Oz of the Ultimate Universe, are DC's spywatching us? :shifty:

Well, DC had their Hard Time book, which was like Superman in Oz or something. And Marvel just did Daredevil in prison. And those are just two recent examples. Super-heroes being thrown in captivity with their mortal enemies is a pretty common theme.

Well, DC had their Hard Time book, which was like Superman in Oz or something. And Marvel just did Daredevil in prison. And those are just two recent examples. Super-heroes being thrown in captivity with their mortal enemies is a pretty common theme.

Well I was thinking actual comic series, but that wont apply here since I now realize this is a film

Wow. This would be all kinds of marvelous.

Unfortunately, this also means it will probably never get made.:(

In the meantime, casting choices for Oliver Queen?

Well I think this may go more along the lines of a fan film, now a big box office thing since it requires prior knowledge about the DCU.

also: they might be considering it to be a set up for a Justice League movie with GA involved...

I don't know how I feel about this. He's Green Arrow for ten minutes, then he's put in jail and nobody has costumes. So it's basically Green Arrow without a bow and arrow and the Injustice League without costumes.

I like it. I feel like there's very few situations you can put Green Arrow that will work in film. But this is one of them. I think the thing that separates him from Batman and all the other vigilantes and carves out his niche is how clever and resourceful he is. The only real way to make him work in film is to put him in a situation where he's forced out of his element and to take advantage of that resourcefulness. Plus, it sort of parallels the situation that turned him into Green Arrow in the first place.

I don't know how I feel about this. He's Green Arrow for ten minutes, then he's put in jail and nobody has costumes. So it's basically Green Arrow without a bow and arrow and the Injustice League without costumes.

I think that's a gross oversimplification. This is the writer of Batman Begins, I trust him to get the feel of the characters right and make it less hokey.

Imagine a world where we discovered that Bill Gates or Hillary Clinton had been going around shooting arrows into people they thought were the Bad Guys... It would raise a lot of eyebrows.

And Personally I love the idea of him being in there dealing with the people he put away... Him teaming up with some villain to escape the prison setting to put whomever framed him behind bars.

What villains would you like to see in the movie?

First and foremost for yours truly would be Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke, the Terminator.

They have to have Deathstroke. That's a no-brainer.

I'd like to see villains from all rogues galleries, not just B and C listers. I wanna' see maybe Metallo in there, Killer Croc, Clayface...I want to see the people that would never be in a Batman or Superman movie because of the serious approach they're going with it. This movie should be the DC playground.

Doc Comic brings up a good point. There are so many odd looking mutant/robot/whatever villains that they don't even need costumes.

Doc Comic brings up a good point. There are so many odd looking mutant/robot/whatever villains that they don't even need costumes.

It depends on how they go with it. If they have Ollie as the main character, with B and C list villains, I'm afraid we're going to see losers like Captain Cold and KGBeast.

I'm sure Brick will show up. And Deathstroke had better be in there.

I'd love to see characters like Croc and all that, but I doubt they'll go that garish with the villains. It'll be fairly believable characters with powers that aren't too ostentatious.

I'm afraid that if they go with the low to no powered villains, it'll get confusing and we're going to see a list identifying everybody on Wikipedia or something.

I'm sure Brick will show up. And Deathstroke had better be in there.

I'd love to see characters like Croc and all that, but I doubt they'll go that garish with the villains. It'll be fairly believable characters with powers that aren't too ostentatious.

Then really, what's the point of making it a Green Arrow movie at all? You could just put any ex-military schlub in there and it would be the same movie.

Latest posts

Back