Guardians of the Galaxy film discussion (SPOILERS)

How would you rate Guardians of the Galaxy?

• Total voters
And wyokid, has there been any hint that the scepter is an Infinity Stone (I'm assuming you refer to Loki's scepter in The Avengers)? Surely Thanos wouldn't simply hand over a Stone to Loki like that?

During The Avengers while Loki is on the Helicarrier and when the arguing reaches a fever pitch the camera zooms in on the scepter and it's almost pulsating. Then it was at the end of The Winter Soldier (personally I think Strucker is using it to mind-wash the twins and that's why Quicksilver looked like he was in so much pain but I'm sure we'll get some answers in Age of Ultron) and it was on the showroom floor at SDCC this year. Something is definitely up with it.

Last edited:
Huh nice, James Gunn confirms that it is Adam Warlock's cocoon in the background in the Collectors museum. I hope this means he will be in GotG 2.

"There is the Slither creatures from my movie Slither behind the Collector; those guys are pretty obvious," said Gunn when asked to give a guide to The Collector's museum. "You have Adam Warlock's cocoon.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=105173

Last edited:
So Fillion's cameo role was the big inmate who threatened Quill? Completely missed that.

The only gripe I have is the Nova Corps, they were pretty much just the police force for one planet, rather than intergalactic peacekeepers, like they were in the comics.

I'm pretty sure Fillion's cameo was only in the after credits scene. I hear he voiced Cosmo the Dog. I didn't stay after to see it though.

Yeah, I was a bit unclear about if the Nova Corps was only the peacekeepers on that planet, or if they were simply based there but had a larger jurisdiction.

I do wonder about the infinity gauntlet in Odin's vault in Thor. At the time it seemed the gems were in the gauntlet. Which would make sense otherwise why save an empty gauntlet? But if they are there, were they somehow scattered during Thor? I am wondering if that was a bit if a tactical error on the part of the director putting that in there.

I'm pretty sure that there aren't any stones in the gauntlet when it is in Odin's vault. I seem to remember this being discussed before. There are white holes where the stones usually are...some people thought that this was simply light reflecting off the stones, and others said the stones weren't in it. Perhaps they are keep the gauntlet locked up because it's the only way to harness the power of the infinity stones. I don't know. It would probably be worth protecting in it's own right.

But yeah, I'm betting the stone in Loki's staff is an infinity stone. So we have 4 so far: the tesseract, the purple one in GOTG, the red thing in Thor 2, and the one in Loki's staff.

I think it's way too big a leap to assume that Loki's staff contained an infinity stone. Not every powerful object in the MCU is powered by an infinity stone (see: almost everything in Odin's treasure room). If we take the pulsating light emitting from the staff to connote an infinity stone's power, it's still more likely that it was powered by the Tesseract, like everything else in The First Avenger and The Avengers. It has the exact same color as the Tesseract, after all.

That said, I would have expected them to introduce more than three stones by now if they intend to bring them all out in Age of Ultron. So it's possible.

I'm pretty sure Fillion's cameo was only in the after credits scene. I hear he voiced Cosmo the Dog. I didn't stay after to see it though.

James Gunn confirms that Fillion played the big blue inmate who gets jacked up by the nostrils. Cosmo doesn't talk in the movie.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41815

I'm pretty sure that there aren't any stones in the gauntlet when it is in Odin's vault. I seem to remember this being discussed before. There are white holes where the stones usually are...some people thought that this was simply light reflecting off the stones, and others said the stones weren't in it. Perhaps they are keep the gauntlet locked up because it's the only way to harness the power of the infinity stones. I don't know. It would probably be worth protecting in it's own right.

Hmmm yeah I thought that at first also but when you look up pics of it from the movie the stones seem to be in it. But I suppose that since it is literally just flashed on the screen it could be possible it is "empty".

But yeah, I'm betting the stone in Loki's staff is an infinity stone. So we have 4 so far: the tesseract, the purple one in GOTG, the red thing in Thor 2, and the one in Loki's staff.

I have seen differing opinions on how many gems have appeared thus far. Most say we have only seen 3, one source I found says 4 (saying it was the soul gem in Loki's staff) I think I fall on the side of just 3 since they have been explicitly mentioned. If that was the soul gem in the staff I think they would have made sure that we knew that was another infinity gem.

Last edited:
I think it's way too big a leap to assume that Loki's staff contained an infinity stone. Not every powerful object in the MCU is powered by an infinity stone (see: almost everything in Odin's treasure room). If we take the pulsating light emitting from the staff to connote an infinity stone's power, it's still more likely that it was powered by the Tesseract, like everything else in The First Avenger and The Avengers. It has the exact same color as the Tesseract, after all.

That said, I would have expected them to introduce more than three stones by now if they intend to bring them all out in Age of Ultron. So it's possible.

And it being in The Winter Soldier and at SDCC means what exactly? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that there's obviously something important about it

And it being in The Winter Soldier and at SDCC means what exactly? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that there's obviously something important about it

No idea! But I'll tell you I cannot wait to find out.

Hmmm yeah I thought that at first also but when you look up pics of it from the movie the stones seem to be in it. But I suppose that since it is literally just flashed on the screen it could be possible it is "empty".

You might be right. I looked up images, and I think I was confused. There's a pic of the gauntlet that seems to be missing a big stone on the back of the gauntlet's hand, so it wasn't all of the stones missing, as I thought.

I have seen differing opinions on how many gems have appeared thus far. Most say we have only seen 3, one source I found says 4 (saying it was the soul gem in Loki's staff) I think I fall on the side of just 3 since they have been explicitly mentioned. If that was the soul gem in the staff I think they would have made sure that we knew that was another infinity gem.

I'm not sure why they would have made sure that we knew it was an infinity gem. I may be mistaken, but isn't GOTG the first film to actually mention the infinity gems?

Yes, as confirmed by James Gunn on Twitter.

This was a phenomenal movie. Easily the best Marvel movie yet, no question. It was extremely funny, and while other Marvel movies have had funny moments in the past this one fully embraced it and was almost a comedy. That's not a knock on the other movies because they AREN'T comedies, but the humor in them is a little bit...forced? I didn't feel like that with this and it was genuinely hilarious.

On top of that the action sequences were original and well done; nothing seemed cliche or like it was something we'd seen 500 times before.

Best yet - there's no dumb comic book science in it. All of the sci-fi stuff is relatable and none of it seemed contrived.

It was a complete story that left doors open all over the place for sequels. I'd love to see this treated like a Star-Wars-esque franchise. There are tons of possibilities - J'son, the Nova Corps, the Infinity Gems, Howard The Duck... :)

I'm probably going back to take my son to see it this weekend.

GREAT movie. Loved every second of it.

So I liked it a lot, but one of my minor gripes was that it DID feel a little cliche in parts. "We're a bunch of big tough guys/girls but really we're just hurting and misunderstood and when we band together, we become a family and find we can do more than we ever thought we could when we were on our own." That's pretty formulaic. It was done well, but it was a bit cliche. Particularly the part where they all hold hands so they can handle the gem.

But yeah, I really liked it. Still liked Cap 2 more, though.

Tessaract H Aether N Orb Scepter?

I'm not sure why they would have made sure that we knew it was an infinity gem. I may be mistaken, but isn't GOTG the first film to actually mention the infinity gems?

Thor: The Dark World was

Nope. Cosmo didn't talk in the post credit scene (or anywhere else in the film), so he didn't voice him unless he did dog lick noises for when he licks Collector's face.

Fillion did voice (and maybe mocapped/stood in) for the big blue alien that messes with them in prison and who Groot took care of.

I think it's way too big a leap to assume that Loki's staff contained an infinity stone. Not every powerful object in the MCU is powered by an infinity stone (see: almost everything in Odin's treasure room). If we take the pulsating light emitting from the staff to connote an infinity stone's power, it's still more likely that it was powered by the Tesseract, like everything else in The First Avenger and The Avengers. It has the exact same color as the Tesseract, after all. That said, I would have expected them to introduce more than three stones by now if they intend to bring them all out in Age of Ultron. So it's possible.

But, they're not bringing them all out in Age of Ultron. In fact the stones will likely play no role in Avengers 2 (or at most an extremely small one, tying into the powers that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have and maybe a post credit scene). The Infinity Stone/Gauntlet/Thanos thing is obviously the plot for Avengers 3, and all the Infinity Stone appearances so far and until then are merely build up for it.

It's import could merely be the fact it's what grants Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch their powers. Doesn't mean it's a stone, and as said I find it hard to believe Thanos would give Loki one of the Stones after we've seen how far he'll go to obtain them in both Avengers and GotG. I don't see Thanos letting them out of his grasp for any reason, even as a loan to one of his lackeys (Loki).

In Thor TDW Odin explains a little about them.

Odin makes specific reference to "stones" when describing the Dark Elves and the Aether to Jane and Thor. "While the other relics often appear as stones" and in the post credits scene when asked why they don't keep the Aether in the Asgardian Vaults, their exact line is: "The Tesseract is already on Asgard. It is not wise to keep two Infinity Stones together."

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/43748/infinity-gems-in-the-marvel-cinematic-universe

So I am pretty sure they want us to know that Thano's game is to gather the stones. That being said, it helps if the audience knows what the stones are. They haven't exactly been coy abut it. So my thinking is that Loki's staff is not powered by another stone entirely but is simply powered by the tesseract stone. I could be wrong but that is how I interpret it anyway.

Seen this twice now: 3D and not. 3D was definitely a better experience. I'm glad that Marvel entrusted James Gunn with this. My only gripe was the unnecessary romance between Quill and Gamora. Groot and Rocket were frickin' amazing. Drax was even great. Bautista's delivery and performance were hilarious in the best way possible. That said, I have to say my favorite part was when Drax comforted Rocket at the end. Sure, it was a small quiet scene but it was just so heartwarming.

Wish the Collector's museum was shown more. Saw a dark elf from Thor: TDW and a Chitauri opposite of Cosmo. It's no Winter Soldier but it's a fun movie worth seeing.

Nova concept art:

10501803_10152596006561469_5679143044436646048_n.jpg

Just got back from seeing it again with my parents. Was so much better without the two Tumblr girls next to me. I knew my dad was going to like it (he even talked to me about how he remembered the Infinity Gems from Ultimates Disassembled! (in his age he doesn't really remember much from stuff he reads and watches so it's always great when he does)) but my mom loved it. They both really dug the soundtrack and my mom really liked how flawed the characters were and how even though they were aliens she liked how she could sympathize and relate to them. She can't wait for Avengers 2 though. She's such a huge Robert Downey Jr. fan.

Just got back from seeing it again with my parents. Was so much better without the two Tumblr girls next to me. I knew my dad was going to like it (he even talked to me about how he remembered the Infinity Gems from Ultimates Disassembled! (in his age he doesn't really remember much from stuff he reads and watches so it's always great when he does)) but my mom loved it. They both really dug the soundtrack and my mom really liked how flawed the characters were and how even though they were aliens she liked how she could sympathize and relate to them. She can't wait for Avengers 2 though. She's such a huge Robert Downey Jr. fan.

Your parents are apparently awesome.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=105865

According to Gunn, Star Lord's father won't be J'Son in the sequel, like in the comics.

Now, that could be a complete lie and he's pulling some JJ Abrams blatantly obvious misdirection ("he's not Khan!"), or they're going to do this to connect Quill to a better known Marvel character. Wondering if this may not tie into the recent news of the Inhumans film happening, though not sure that'll work given the statements about Quill's DNA showing signs of his father being a part of an extremely ancient race of aliens.

Latest posts

Back