Halo 3 - ODST

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
It deserves its own thread.

So picked this up last week and played through the campaign on normal within about 4 hours. Started to re-play the campaign on Legendary (just in case there's a "secret" ending).

Its Halo, but no drastic changes other than your slight equipment differences from Master Chief. Its nice to play as someone else besides MC, and the fact the Nathan Fillion's voice and likeness were used so extensively makes it all the better.

But the real gem is the Firefight mode. Much like Batman AA's Challenge maps (though much more difficult and time consuming), you basically take on wave after wave of enemies to build up points. Its tough. And it takes awhile (to build up to the 200,000 point par, it took me 1:30 on one level). Its a hell of a lot of fun, though, and very challenging, even for veteran Halo players.

Meh, from what I have read, it is way too short to warrant the $60 price tag. Shame too, since if it were longer, I'd probably get it. No recharging health? A film noir atmosphere? Seems like an incline for Halo.

Meh, from what I have read, it is way too short to warrant the $60 price tag. Shame too, since if it were longer, I'd probably get it. No recharging health? A film noir atmosphere? Seems like an incline for Halo.

This game isn't about the galaxy-shattering epic of the main Halo storyline. It's in the background, sure, but the focus here is on the regular ODST soldiers fighting the Covenant while Master Chief is off doing that. You don't get recharging health because you're not a super soldier, you're just a soldier. This doesn't mean you can't do some badass things, you just can't do some of the more ludicrous stuff Master Chief can do.

As for the film noir aspects, I think it helps to humanize the ODSTs to contrast from the supernatural Master Chief.

Please note: I don't have an Xbox, I just watched a playthrough on Youtube because I like the Halo storyline. Yeah, I need a life.

This game isn't about the galaxy-shattering epic of the main Halo storyline. It's in the background, sure, but the focus here is on the regular ODST soldiers fighting the Covenant while Master Chief is off doing that. You don't get recharging health because you're not a super soldier, you're just a soldier. This doesn't mean you can't do some badass things, you just can't do some of the more ludicrous stuff Master Chief can do.

As for the film noir aspects, I think it helps to humanize the ODSTs to contrast from the supernatural Master Chief.

Please note: I don't have an Xbox, I just watched a playthrough on Youtube because I like the Halo storyline. Yeah, I need a life.

...I was in agreements with you. I thought Halo 2 and 3 was rather mediocre. ODST actually looked somewhat good, but the ridiculously short campaign length was not enough for 60 dollars.

I'm somewhat confused as to the meaning of your post. :?:

...I was in agreements with you. I thought Halo 2 and 3 was rather mediocre. ODST actually looked somewhat good, but the ridiculously short campaign length was not enough for 60 dollars.

I'm somewhat confused as to the meaning of your post. :?:

Yeah, from what I hear ODST was originally just going to be downloadable content, but they decided to make it a full game. They just didn't make full enough to warrant the $60 price.

Meh, from what I have read, it is way too short to warrant the $60 price tag.

Yeah, from what I hear ODST was originally just going to be downloadable content, but they decided to make it a full game. They just didn't make full enough to warrant the $60 price.

The Firefight challenges offer about 2 hours of gamelplay EACH! Even if the campaign only takes 4-5 hours, the Firefight boards are challenging enough to offer a large amount of extra gameplay time. And its similar enough to multi-player to stay fun, but different enough to not get old. I've only managed to get the par on normal for 2 out of the ten or so Firefight levels.

Granted, some people might not be interested in that aspect of the game. Personally, I was always more into Halo for the story, thus preferred the campaign over multi-player aspects, and thats true even in this game. However, I'm still interested enough to want to beat all the Firefight levels.

Its definitly a worthwhile gameplay addition to the Halo games.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back