Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire Movie Discussion *Spoilers*

Planet-man said:
So....what was your favourite scene(s) in the movie?

Mine were:
The sight and sound of Cedric's corpse hitting the ground, immeadiately followed by cheers and laughter, which slowly disapate as people realize Harry is crying and Cedric is dead.

I DEFINITELY Agree there...

Not so much about your other one

Dr.Strangefate said:
o_O *twitch*

Um... What the ****?? How is -arguing- gay? and right now I'm just pissed off at the flag thing. That's just infantile, and flat out insulting.

I wasn't insinuating that they are gay....I was merely mocking the gay tension between the 2. 2 guys argue.....nothing gay about that. But when you let it linger on and then try to have someone else pass your messages onto one another because you're not speaking??? Come on.......that's what people in relationships do (.......when they're on a sitcom :lol: ).

As far as the flag thing goes.......it's a joke..........on the internet. It's not supposed to be taken seriously. It'd be totally different if it was a swastika or something like that. But it's not.......so..................

Dr.Strangefate said:
If anything was mildly homoerotic it was Cedric asking Harry to take a bath to pay him back for letting him know about the dragons....

Yeah....that was pretty gay.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ooooh Doom you tread in dangerous waters....

It's what I do.... :wink:

cmdrjanjalani said:
.....and I'm a little pissed at Victor for that comment since I just had a recent "male to male tension" and I'm straight.

Did you guys kiss and make up??? :p

Seriously---see my comments above and it's just a joke.

Planet-man said:
One of my favourite things about this movie was that it's the only one in the series where Fred and George actually have real roles and act how they do in the book. I would've liked some talk about Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, though.

So....what was your favourite scene(s) in the movie?

Mine were:
The sight and sound of Cedric's corpse hitting the ground, immeadiately followed by cheers and laughter, which slowly disapate as people realize Harry is crying and Cedric is dead.

Also, Harry vs the Dragon on the roof of the castle.
No spoiler marks needed in a spoilers thread.

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
As far as the flag thing goes.......it's a joke..........on the internet. It's not supposed to be taken seriously. It'd be totally different if it was a swastika or something like that. But it's not.......so..................

I know its not supposed to be taken seriously, that's one of the things about it that pisses me off. I hate that people like you just degrade an entire group of people into a joke and simply think that it's okay because its funny.

Im not opposed to joking around, and I hate political correctness in almost every situation. But you were making a comment about two people and making an assumption, and using the "gay-ness" of it as the punchline.

That's not funny.

And I know you weren't insinuating that they were Gay. You just called them gay because you thought it was funny to do so, and here I am telling you that it's not.

And yes I get to say that its not, because i'm ****ing gay, and I found that ****ing offensive!

Stop making excuses, admit you're wrong and apologize.

Grah...

Back on Topic.

sorry. i'm angry.

What did you guys think of the Dragon scene?

I would have preferred them to keep that short and lengthen some other areas... It dragged on too long (despite it being beautifully done)

Guys. This is easily the best of the Potter films. EASILY. There were noticeable crops to both the plot and to the source book, but, boy, did they come up with a well-crafted movie. I am by no means saying that the movie is able to stand next to the excellence of the book, but this movie was the first of the four to prepare for future events. I thought the first three movies were just making movies for the individual book... There was very little continuity beside the characters. There were no underlying plot threads dangling by either of the first or third as we so read in the books, which is why I say so. This time around, however, it seems they've prepared themselves. When Snape told Dumbledore that he thought it might be better if Harry contested in the tournament and when Karkaroff bellowed that once you're a Death Eater, you're always a Death Eater, it reaked of admitting Snape was a bad guy. Outting him now in the movies, subtly, will make the sixth movie ever stronger. Personally, if this is any indication of what the movies will be like later, I doubt the remaining three movies will be bad.

I was peeved that the Dragon scene was too long and they added things to lighten the movie in the middle, however, there was a lot to goggle at in this one. The mer-people, the dragon, Voldemort (EXACTLY how I imagined him), and actual tension between the characters this time made me realize how strong the characters actually are in this series. Great.

9/10.

Planet-man said:
Does anyone know if Mike Newell is Directing Order of the Phoenix(I sure hope so)?
Didn't each movie have a different director?

The first two were directed by Chris Colombus, the third was a different guy, and the most recent was directed by Mike Newell. If I were him, I'd stick with the series... He seems to know what he's doing.

Goodwill said:
and when Karkaroff bellowed that once you're a Death Eater, you're always a Death Eater, it reaked of admitting Snape was a bad guy. Outting him now in the movies, subtly, will make the sixth movie ever stronger.QUOTE]

i, personally, don't think he's evil for a # of reasons:

1. dumbledore put him in a position he knew was cursed

2. the two stared in eachothers eyes befor snape killed dd, "cough" legillimancy "cough"

3. he seemed extremely distraugt afterwards

4. no matter what he did, dd was a dead man walking

ps. 9/10

pss. it's a different director

psss. the name of the poa director is alfonso cuaron

Last edited:
don't forget that if
Snape hadn't killed Voldemort, He would have died himself. And even if he was looking evil when he did it, remember that you have to WANT the person you're killing dead to kill them.

So yeah...

Seriously, for those who believe Snape is a good guy still, you're in denial. He's a villain and now that he's killed Dumbledore the bets are off and Harry and him will have to throw it down before Harry throws down with Voldemort.

Personally, I hope he's a villain. I think that would be a stronger choice.

But JK likes him far too much as a character to do that, and having been established as a Backstabber, I can't see him staying loyal to Voldemort for all of that time...

And there's too much evidence pointing to the fact that he's still a good guy.

...yeah.

Hmm, as usual I seem to be on the opposite side of this from most of the posters - just came back from seeing this in a crowded, partisan house (the audience started clapping as the film started rolling) and in several parts of the movie you could hear and FEEL the audience shifting and talking as their attention wandered.

The good - like the fact that the quidditch match is just a blip in the beginning. I was prepared for an hour plus of quidditch and then a bit of plot thrown in, so that was pleasant. The kids aren't great actors but they seemed more like actual kids in this, comfortable with their roles and with kidding around with each other and it gave their interactions a good feel.

What was missing - the sense of wonder from the first few movies. Of course, the problem is that it's not possible to keep that going once the audience has had several movies to "get used" to it, so it WAS time to move on. Almost nothing ties the quidditch match in to the rest of the movie, except for it being the first appearance of Voldemort's mark. But was that worth the screen time? I'm thinking not. The last third of the movie is awfully dark, between the murky underwater scenes and the out-of-focus hedgerows and the dark graveyard. I realize it keeps the special effects budget low(er) but I like to SEE what's going on rather than peer at the scene and try to figure out what's happening.

It did seem like the movie was trying to stand on its own rather than be just an adaptation of the books and you have to give them points for that. Much of this movie feels like set-up for what comes next

And the trailers? Gah. Jurassic Kong? No thanks. Superman as Christ? No thanks. The penguin cartoon, where Robin Williams seems to be doing all the voices? That looks like a very LONG music video, not a movie.

The cartoon house that eats things? Yeah, okay, that looks interesting. Narnia? Oooooo, coooooooool.

I saw it last night and really liked it. Voldemort kicks ***.

Oh moony, you and your oppinions.

hrm.

And Rhyo, please tell me you're joking that out of King Kong (whose original film DID have dinosaurs in it, but since people would rather say that they saw the original than See it, they try to blame Jackson for ripping off Juraissic Park), Superman (which looks utterly fantastic), the adorable penguin dance movie, and the monster house... you think the monster house looks interesting.... o_O

I saw it on my birthday. It was okay, but they missed too much stuff out (I know, I know, they didn't have time to fit it in, but my dad caught stuff, and he's only read the first book).

I summon up a good hearty meh for this.

Dr.Strangefate said:
don't forget that if
Snape hadn't killed Voldemort, He would have died himself. And even if he was looking evil when he did it, remember that you have to WANT the person you're killing dead to kill them.

So yeah...

I was thinking just the same. I think snape is just taking care of himself. He might be the guy that kills voldemort in the end.

Over the weekend in the U.S., GoF became the 2nd most moneymaking Potter flick (Stone being the first), with 262.4 million. It's worldwide total is something like 718 million.

On a side note, here's how I'd rank the films from best to worst:
1. Azkaban
2. Goblet
3. Stone
4. Chamber

Latest posts

Back