Hawkeye's Family (minor Ultimates 2 #4 spoilers)

I actually was thinking of kind of an illustrated fan fiction in which we see & hear everything from Hawkeye's perspective since he's like the guy there that we barely ever see or anything. It's quite humorous and opens with him waking up in the morning and getting ready for work. I hope he's actually married though because that's what I had in mind the whole time. I suspect he is and that girlfriend reference was just Natasha being Russian.

Ultimate Travis said:
I actually was thinking of kind of an illustrated fan fiction in which we see & hear everything from Hawkeye's perspective since he's like the guy there that we barely ever see or anything. It's quite humorous and opens with him waking up in the morning and getting ready for work. I hope he's actually married though because that's what I had in mind the whole time. I suspect he is and that girlfriend reference was just Natasha being Russian.
Cool thoughts you have there.

And WELCOME! :D

Ultimate Travis said:
I hope he's actually married though because that's what I had in mind the whole time. I suspect he is and that friend reference was just Natasha being Russian.
I'm under the impression that Hawkeye is indeed married, at least by the time Ultimates 2 begins. Anyone else see that bit of information? I think I read it in either an interview or article somewhere. Can't remember the exact place.... (I hate getting old.... :x )

I actually was thinking of kind of an illustrated fan fiction in which we see & hear everything from Hawkeye's perspective since he's like the guy there that we barely ever see or anything. It's quite humorous and opens with him waking up in the morning and getting ready for work.
If and when you get it started (or finished), post it or a link to it in our fanfiction section, please. :)

Okay, Ice, I'll ask -- what powers does our mutant librarian "Book" have?

Seldes Katne said:
Has anyone seen any kind of background information on Hawkeye's children? I'm aware of Natasha's comment that he calls them before each mission, and I think we see them pictured in a couple of panels during the White House celebration at the end of the Chituri arc, but I haven't seen any indication of their names, ages, or other vital statistics. If the children surrounding him in those panels are all his, then he appears to have two boys and a girl, and they all seem to be early elementary aged. Has anything about them come up on websites, in interviews, or anywhere else?

Hmm, there is nothing to indicate that all three of those kids are all his, though why he would be amusing someone else's kids at a Presidential dinner, I have no idea -- and he's pretty clearly telling them a story or otherwise keeping them entertained.

I'm positive I've read interviews with Millar where he discussed all the characters in detail, including Hawkeye, and his comments specifically said that Hawkeye was married (though it does say "girlfriend" in V1) and mentioned his wife in an oblique way (ie not by name, just by title). Millar's comments were probably up on the late lamented MillarWorld.

And, ooo, look, due to the wonder of Google search and cached pages, here is the exact quote:

Apr 1 2004, 04:58 PM
Anyway, as you'll see in Vol 2, Hawkeye COMMUTES to the superhero world. He's got a wife and kids and lives in the suburbs. He's cool when he can control the situation, but the Hulk was going to kill him. There was no way out and he freaked. Vol 2 has him as the everyman in that sense.

MM

Rhyo said:
Hmm, there is nothing to indicate that all three of those kids are all his, though why he would be amusing someone else's kids at a Presidential dinner, I have no idea -- and he's pretty clearly telling them a story or otherwise keeping them entertained.

I'm positive I've read interviews with Millar where he discussed all the characters in detail, including Hawkeye, and his comments specifically said that Hawkeye was married (though it does say "girlfriend" in V1) and mentioned his wife in an oblique way (ie not by name, just by title). Millar's comments were probably up on the late lamented MillarWorld.

And, ooo, look, due to the wonder of Google search and cached pages, here is the exact quote:

Anyway, as you'll see in Vol 2, Hawkeye COMMUTES to the superhero world. He's got a wife and kids and lives in the suburbs. He's cool when he can control the situation, but the Hulk was going to kill him. There was no way out and he freaked. Vol 2 has him as the everyman in that sense.

MM
Wow man!

Anyways, WELCOME DUDE! :D

Rhyo said:

MM

Nice - welcome to the UC. :D

Thanks for the welcome, icemastertron and UltimateE -- and it's not like I would normally know the answer to that question off of the top of my head, but I DID get a copy of the hard cover Ultimates V1 last week and re-read it AND google is my close, personal friend. :wink:

To me, Hawkeye is a very vague character that needs to defining. He can be one of the more interesting characters, but we've got Pym, Captain America, and Thor overshadowing and taking away from the limelight that he should be getting...

I think Hawkeye's vagueness just adds to his character more. I really don't want them to make such a big deal about him as they have w/ Thor, Cap, Banner, or Stark for that matter. He's just kind of like that guy whose just there and it works pretty well IMO.

Rhyo said:

MM
Hm, it seems that Millar has really thought out his Ultimate Hawkeye. Also interesting considering that the multiple throwaway scenes used to sketch out his character have been remarkably consistent: He's a family man, and a panicky individual who wigs out when things go out of control like during the office attack and when he's fighting off the Chitauri.

I'd tell Ultimate Travis not to worry, I doubt Millar or anybody is really planning to make a big deal out of Hawkeye's extra details. It's not like Millar has chosen to add superfluous details to his Ultimatizations of Cap, Banner and Thor either.

I mean, they chose to keep Peter David's psychoanalytical clap trap of Hulk (which is absolute greatness, btw) but I'm sure they'll keep it in 616 where it matters. Likewise, Hawkeye is fleshed out in a space that exists outside of the comics and that's pretty much a fine way to handle things.

ourchair said:
Hm, it seems that Millar has really thought out his Ultimate Hawkeye. Also interesting considering that the multiple throwaway scenes used to sketch out his character have been remarkably consistent: He's a family man, and a panicky individual who wigs out when things go out of control like during the office attack and when he's fighting off the Chitauri.

Not sure I agree with the concept of "wigs out" -- in the first instance he's hanging by one arm off the remnants of a twisted girder, at least 20 floors above the ground, holding on to another man to keep him from falling, and he shouts into his headset for help from the Widow. In the other case, (as Millar says), the Hulk is furious, coming directly toward him and he has no weapons left, so he's somewhat SOL. Not sure I'd call that "panicky" exactly.

Comparatively speaking, Hawkeye is the "everyman" character that Millar uses to show how far the Ultimates have come and for reactions to the rest of the characters -- though in this case "everyman" seems to have been a black ops agent, and in V1 some sort of field unit commander, which is certainly a fairly advanced version of "everyman". So the character has gone from career military to a whole new level of op, where he's having to learn to cope with a new level of action and threat. He's the only non-super-powered character (much like 616 Hawkeye) in the middle of some very heavily powered characters, attempting to pull his weight on the team, but without most of the ego and self-promotion that the 616 version had -- this version is much more a soldier and far less of a wild card.

Given that Millar has some very interesting and larger-than-life characters to play with in this series, I can't see the character moving up from his back-up or supporting role, but for all that he IS a background character, he seems to be fairly well-developed.

Caduceus said:
Since i missed welcoming you before, welcome! Nice avatar too!
Why thank you. And I love my "Lenore the Cranky Dead Girl" icon, which fits me perfectly, except for the a) being dead and b) being young parts.

Well they did finally show Hawkeye's family in Ultimates #4 and it seems he has a pair of twin boys and a little girl (not one look a day over six)

ultimatebatman said:
Well they did finally show Hawkeye's family in Ultimates #4 and it seems he has a pair of twin boys and a little girl (not one look a day over six)

Seldes when i saw that I thought of you first thing. Of course they wouldn't tell us whether he was married or not though. :lol:

UltimateE said:
Seldes when i saw that I thought of you first thing. Of course they wouldn't tell us whether he was married or not though. :lol:

And, awwwwww, Hitch draws cute kids. I'm not sure the boys are supposed to be twins, just look a lot alike. The one in the purple t-shirt looks like he might be a bit bigger and older (slightly less round, less full face), but it's hard to tell.

And SHIELD must pay VERY well, that or the combat pay is spectacular. That house, in Brooklyn? Somewhere between $800k and $1.8 mil, easy.

Rhyo said:
Not sure I agree with the concept of "wigs out" -- in the first instance he's hanging by one arm off the remnants of a twisted girder, at least 20 floors above the ground, holding on to another man to keep him from falling, and he shouts into his headset for help from the Widow. In the other case, (as Millar says), the Hulk is furious, coming directly toward him and he has no weapons left, so he's somewhat SOL. Not sure I'd call that "panicky" exactly.

Comparatively speaking, Hawkeye is the "everyman" character that Millar uses to show how far the Ultimates have come and for reactions to the rest of the characters -- though in this case "everyman" seems to have been a black ops agent, and in V1 some sort of field unit commander, which is certainly a fairly advanced version of "everyman". So the character has gone from career military to a whole new level of op, where he's having to learn to cope with a new level of action and threat. He's the only non-super-powered character (much like 616 Hawkeye) in the middle of some very heavily powered characters, attempting to pull his weight on the team, but without most of the ego and self-promotion that the 616 version had -- this version is much more a soldier and far less of a wild card.

Given that Millar has some very interesting and larger-than-life characters to play with in this series, I can't see the character moving up from his back-up or supporting role, but for all that he IS a background character, he seems to be fairly well-developed.
Hm, great thoughts. But I'd like to elaborate calling him "panicky" in that I don't think he's necessarily a coward. I take your suggestion that he's an "everyman" of courage, an "everyman" attempting to pull his weight, and an "everyman" without ego or delusional self-concept and pull that further by suggesting that this is exactly why he can get a little "panicky": Being in such a team made of heavyweights fighting heavyweights is EXACTLY why this "everyman" can get overwhelmed.

I liken him to Ultimate Peter who often finds the complexities of the modern world to large for his young mind to really take very well, and as such, is often as overwhelmed as Ultimate Hawkeye is.

UltimateE said:
And I suspect the kids don't care if the parents are married or not, so who I am to quibble? :)

Still not a lot of info on them, and here they actually look younger than in those White House party drawings. A little too young for the story I had in mind, unfortunately. Oh, well.

And SHIELD must pay VERY well, that or the combat pay is spectacular. That house, in Brooklyn? Somewhere between $800k and $1.8 mil, easy.
I get the impression that working for the Ultimates in particular does pay well, although I don't think I'd want to have to live with 24/7 security on my house and family.... :?

Latest posts

Back