Helping Me Expand My Roots

roguefan

helping myself to your chocolate biscuits
I need your help.

Each week, I buy the same comic series' and I want a change - maybe less Marvel, maybe more. What I do want is books that are good. Basically, all you have to do is give some reccomendations for new books and I'll buy one new one each week if I can find it.

Pandrio said:
With the few threads coming up recently asking for comic recomendations, maybe we should make one thread for this?
The indomitable spirit of egomania says that everyone believes they are entiteld to their own thread of recommendations, ostensibly tailor-made to their tastes and preferences... but instead it just devolves into everyone talking about their favorite book and how it must be bought regardless of taste. :D

roguefan said:
I need your help.

Each week, I buy the same comic series' and I want a change - maybe less Marvel, maybe more. What I do want is books that are good. Basically, all you have to do is give some reccomendations for new books and I'll buy one new one each week if I can find it.

Tell us what draws you to the X-titles first. The characters? the character interaction? The tone of the stories? The team aspect?

For teams: Runaways (Marvel), Young Avengers (Marvel), Noble Causes (Image). The first two are teams of relatively young characters, the last is a superhero "family."

The character interaction: a lot of the X-titles have always struck me as somewhat soap-opera-ish, in that they have convoluted, emotional plotlines. The three teams mentioned above are somewhat like that, too.

I buy the X-Men books because, I am literally adicted to them. I know it sounds bad, but it's like a drug. I've stopped buying New X-Men, and I'm gonna buy X-Factor and Son of M in trades now, which means I'm starting to build bridges across the pit of X-Men death.

I buy X-Men because Rogue is in it. My favourite character needs some time in my hands (no dirtiness intended), so I buy X-Men. I also like the soap opera-esque style of the book.

I buy Uncanny X-Men to show my support for Claremont. He is a good writer in my eyes (sometimes) and I love the way he writes some of the characters. Rachel Grey is excellently written by him.

I buy Generation M because Paul Jenkins is an excellent writer, and I love his wrok on this book.

Ultimate X-Men I buy because I've collected since Issue 1 and I've loved it. There haven't been many down issues, and I'm looking forward to Kirkman.

I buy Runaways in the HC's, same with Young Avengers.

Last edited:
Being a Marvel-only guy, i can only suggest Marvel books...but I would say try The Ultimates, my favorite book out there, shame its bi-monthly tho. also, i know its X-related but...Cable and Deadpool man!

You had one of these threads before.

Wait for Crisis to be over if you want DC stuff. Then pick up all the OYL stuff.

Next time you are in the store pick up a Y-the last man. That's my favorite book right now. You should really pick up the first trade though because it's one of those books that are probably hard to start reading in the middle of a series.

Oh yes. You must get Y The Last Man and Ex Machina.

Since you like your X-Men, i would DEFINATELY recommend Exiles. Collect the trades before the issues tho so you get whats going on.

I'm not going to pimp my normal titles here (The Walking Dead, Desolation Jones, Fell...) since you can find my rants about them anywhere on the board. I will suggest Cable Deadpool and Teen Titans, one for the X-Aspect and another since its probably one of the best Team Books on the market.

Noble Causes is a good one too. I've gota few issues and am planning to catch up in TPB. It's a giant super-hero soap opera that hits on some consistantly good twists and turns

roguefan said:
I need your help.

I'm assuming you want a title you can just jump onto.

Y the Last Man I don't think it's worth it. I really like it, but I'd suggest getting the first trade first. Same with 100 Bullets

If you want something you can pick off the rack - The latest issue of Gotham Central just began a new arc that looks really exciting. Jonah Hex is fun too.

Bass said:
If you want something you can pick off the rack - The latest issue of Gotham Central just began a new arc that looks really exciting. Jonah Hex is fun too.

Lol, nice try, Bass, but Gotham Central is cancelled with #40 (issue after next). There will be a new OYL title involving, I THINK, some of the same characters, but not quite the same situations. Hopefully the cancellation will mean that they speed up on trading the issue, as the last trade was only up to #12.

I'm going to try some of the DC titles after the OYL jump ("One Year Later" - all the main DC titles are jumping forward a year, I think starting with the March issues).

:shock:

Gotham Central is cancelled?

I just started picking this thing up! :(

PS - Ice is right; Punisher. It's on part 5 of 6, but it's one to get if you'r eokay with a lot of violence. It's top stuff.

EDIT - Just read Tog's post. If you're too young, just get older. :)

Last edited:
Dan Slott's The THING is my new favorite 616 title. That's right: this coming from the guy who hypes Marvel Team-Up all of the time. But you would be doing yourself a huge favor by picking up Thing #1 and 2 (haha! Dr. Seuss). It's the funnest comic around. One of the characters even morphs into Charlie from LOST! And the best part is that Slott already has everything up to #25 planned out.

Latest posts

Back