HeroesCon 2008

Right - to hype up HeroesCon a bit:

HeroesCon is very cheap - it's only $20 for a 3-day pass (if I recall). The cost will be in flights and hotel rooms. The Westin Hotel has an expensive $17 breakfast buffet (which is very nice though). However, breakfast each day, and a shared room from Thursday night to Sunday morning cost me under $300. Plus, it's the same hotel everyone stays in, like the artists.

Which brings me to my next point - HeroesCon is very friendly and very comic art focused. The con is run by a guy called Shelton Drum, who owns a comic shop, and 2007 was the con's 25th anniversary. He's a pleasant chap. Also, the artists are ridiculously easy to talk to, very open and enjoyable.

All the pros at Heroes Con I met point out that this is their favourite con, the one they think is best. San Diego is too crowded, too busy, and nice for the pros and dealers as there's a lot of money to be made. Wizard cons generally aren't nice in comparison either. Bear in mind, I've been to Heroes Con twice, and that's it. Baltimore Con is supposed to be another Heroes Con, in that it too is a friendly, easily enjoyable con. But yes, I'm continually told how great Heroes Con is.

I will be going there 2008, and I hope to see as many of you as I can, but I don't want anyone breaking the bank on this. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But if you can, come over, because we should have fun.

Also, while I'm quite friendly with a few artists there, if there's a **** load of us, I may be caught between the two groups. If there's two dozen UCers there, I can't expect us all to fit into one person's room. What I'm trying to say is this - yes, I went to a 'sketch party' in Adam Hughes' room. There was lots of Gaijin guys, Mark Brooks, and others. The room was at capacity. If there's a sketch party next year and there's like a dozen UCers there, I can't necessarily "get you in". It doesn't also mean that I won't do both (see you guys, and see them). I'm trying to explain that the two groups of people I intend to see, you guys and the other friends I've made at the con, are too big to share the same space, my time will be divided. I'm trying to be as open about this because if people come on my recommendation, I don't want disappointed faces. :(

That said, if you come, we will be hanging out at the con the whole day. I get so bored at the con. The first day, I shop. The next two, I find things to do because I get so bored. So if you're there, we'll be together more time than we'll be apart (aw, doesn't that sound nice?).

I hope I make myself clear on my plans. Any questions let me know!

TALES FROM HEROES CON 2007!​

I had a great ol' time! I got into Atlanta and stayed with Adam and Allison for a couple of days and we drove up to Charlotte for Heroes Con.

Amusingly, on the way, there was a car accident (luckily we were not in it). We were in a dead-stop gridlock situation for an hour. We got on the phone, got people to google the news (it was like a ****ing spy movie, I tell you) to find out how much longer we'd be there - another hour. And on our left, is the exit ramp. Allison wonders, "Should we take a detour?" Adam's against it - we'll just end up lost. I think the detour will take an hour, thus, we may as just well wait. The detour will only give us the illusion of progress. Stephanie wants to take the detour. As does Cat. Josh abstains. We take the detour. We don't get lost. It takes an hour. Once again, events conspire to prove how unbelievably correct I am at everything.

Allison, Adam and the rest all went to great lengths to give the British Arab a lot of Southern hospitality. When I got back to their place, and put down my bags, Allison suggested I get changed before we went out for a bite, since I was all in black. I pointed out that black reflects heat, not absorbs it. Allison points out that I'm factually incorrect. I denounce science. Adam then says, "Allison, it's okay. They like the heat."

I knew my place.

At Charlotte I met up with a whole bunch of people I knew, who if I named, I'd be (rightfully) accused of name-dropping. But I had a great time. Laura Martin gave me a tutorial on colouring (I posed for Thor's hand! In all yo' faces!) and validated my brain-thoughts in a way I probably shouldn't say in public.

Many other amusing things happened, pretty much all involving Mark Brooks.

But yes, I had an even greater time than last year. It was a lot of fun. The AH fan yahoo group members were lots of fun, Drunken Randy was particularly funny during the Saturday night auction, especially when he realised he didn't have his bid card, but his wife did, and everyone was egging his wife to bid far too much on art. Oh, the hilarity as he whimpered, "Patty, don't do it!"

The main change however, was last year, I was treated with love and respect, but this year, they had become to familiar and thus, I was the brunt of many terrorist jokes. Indeed, I was continually being accused of many crimes, from stalking, to bombing. This is a disturbing trend.

But yes, I had fun. I shall tell more tales, later.

For now, one last thing; !annataZ htiw gnicnad m'I !em ta kooL

zatannaandbassfc5.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Sounds like fun...I'm not so worried about not being able to get into a sketch party anyway, because I would feel out of place.

But if we all can swing it, I think it would be a cool place to meet up.

Awesome. Sounds like fun...I'm not so worried about not being able to get into a sketch party anyway, because I would feel out of place.

Man, you wouldn't. Seriously. They're so welcoming. I mean, we'd probably all be going to dinner together without any hassle at all. That's right. Dinner. With Brandon Peterson. And Laura Martin. And Mark Brooks. The thing with the sketch party is it's in a hotel room, so space would be at a premium. But we'd all be hanging out at the Westin bar and the con. :D (Well... maybe. That's how it's been for the last two years. It might change. But that's my after-con plans next year at the moment. So I'd expect you lot to be there with me.)

Last edited:
To continue the drumming up of support for HeroesCon 2008, I shall explain this picture:

englandvsusguitarherogd9.jpg

That's me dueling Mark Brooks at Guitar Hero. In the background, the spectacled woman in the green laughing on the bed is Laura Martin.

Now that you have had time to pick up the names I've so casually dropped on to the floor, let me explain the journey....

In October '06, Adam Hughes and his girlfriend, Allison Sohn, came to London for a few days - and I took them on a walking tour of Central London - from Charing Cross to Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Oxford Circus, and if we had time, Covent Gardens.

So, in Oxford Circus, there is Hamley's. Now, for those of you who don't know, Hamely's is a big toy store. Toys R Us is a market stall in comparison. Hamley's is HUGE - 5 floors, a basement, everything packed with toys and games, and it's in Oxford Circus - so it looks like this is where Royalty shops for toys. And as a kid, I loved it there. They even used to sell comics. So, knowing Adam and Allison like their toys, I took them to Hamley's. And in the basement was Guitar Hero. Temporarily, Adam was replaced with a statue of himself as he stood their, frozen in place by the allure of Guitar Hero. I'd played it a couple of times, and understood that it was a great game, but I was told the story of how they got into Guitar Hero.

Mark Brooks is a relatively competitive chap. And when he discovered Guitar Hero he introduced everyone to it - and kept beating everyone. Then Laura Martin, who can actually play a real guitar beat him first time. Laura is their 'dark lord'.

And so a plan formulated into my head - by Heroes Con 2007, I would be a Guitar Hero legend.

I borrowed a PS2 and Guitar Hero I and II from a friend. And I played the game. At first, I thought it would just be a laugh - oh how wrong I was. I fell in LOVE with the game. I played it every day. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played ever. I stopped caring about beating other people - I just wanted to rock. And rock I did, for six months.

So, when I get into Atlanta, I decide to enact 'the plan'. I start mentioning Guitar Hero to people, but in a way that makes it seem I didn't bring it up. "Isn't that what Guitar Hero is like?" I'd say (or something to that effect) and they'd respond and talk Guitar Hero then I'd pop up, "Is this Guitar Hero? I've never played it?" The result was Laura Martin bringing a PS2, two guitars, and, Guitar Hero I and II to Charlotte for Heroes Con, all the while thinking I'm a n00b.

Oh, the joy when Mark entered the Westin Hote lobby with a plastic guitar around his neck.

Friday night - after the Con, we're in the Jackson Suite. We have to get a new TV up their so we can hook up Guitar Hero.

We do. We play.

I play the first game right-handed (I'm left-handed) - and bass (much easier than lead) - on Easy.

I still sucked.

And, as I discovered doing this is half the fun of knowing me, people ripped the piss out of me for being ****. I seem to be one of those guys where, even if I don't try, I somehow become the center of attention. Sometimes this is good, and sometimes this results in people bashing the **** out of me. And I took it all. "You're **** at Guitar Hero, you Bass-Tard!" they'd say. "Bollocks!" in poor English accents they'd yell. And other people played.

And I saw everyone playing on Medium difficulty.

Mark Brooks was trashtalking up a storm. So eventually, I yelled - "You! Me! Ace of Spades! HARD!"

Mark thinks, "I play on Medium - Bass is a n00b who can't play Easy. Should be fun."

So we get up, we put on the axes and before we start I say - "Hey... um.. can I... is it possible to play this left-handed?" Everyone is unsure, everyone plays right-handed. So I say, "Is it in the options?" and surreptitiously guide them there and switch on "Lefty Flip".

As the song loads, Mark states many facts, "You're going down, Bass." "Terrorists can't play guitar." The usual slurs against my impeachable wonder. Then someone says, "Oh boy Mark - last time you talked to someone like this, you got trashed." Everyone laughed. I said, "Maybe history will repeat itself?"

And the song began.

Mark gets his little section of Ace of Spades - doesn't hit many. It's Hard after all. Then my section arrives - I hit every note.

There is... a bewilderment. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Mark gets another section - does okay. My section - I hit every note.

Have I been hustling everyone?

I then take the guitar and put it behind my head, get down on one knee, and continue to hit every note.

And to Mark's infinite brilliance he did the one thing he could - he kicked me in the back.

IT WAS ON! FULL-CONTACT GUITAR HERO!

Mark continually pushing me and shoving his way in front of the tv so that I couldn't see the notes. I kept running around him, twisting and turning, still hitting as many notes as I could. Strumming as fast as we could, hammering on and pulling off, jumping and twisting and turning as everyone kept yelling and laughing and cheering!

Eventually the end of the song came into view, and it's a long held note with a bit of a solo - Mark blocked the tv so I turned around, my back to Mark and the tv, got down on my knees, eyes closed, and played the solo. Mark also dropped to his knees, the two of us folding on top of one another, and the song ended - the two of us panting and sweating amidst applause.

Mark, laughing his *** off, "You BASTARD!" To wit I calmly said, "Ah, but I knew something you did not know - I am not right-handed." And one of the guys there yelled, "HE PRINCESS BRIDED YOU!"

Poor Mark. He then started realizing how I'd totally planned all this - "'CAN I play this left-handed' - you bastard!"

So then, of course, I had to play Laura Martin. The Dark Lord. On her favourite song - Heart Full of Black. On hard. Which is one of the songs I never play. Whilst exhausted from wrestling Mark. And everyone in the room is chanting, "Beat him Laura! For AMERICA! AMERICA AMERICA!" (Ah, who says the South is racist?) All Laura had to say - "Finally. A challenge."

I play her.

She beats me. She used the Star Power better. She knew the song better. I was just too tired. But I still got only 1% less accuracy on her.

I didn't have the heart to tell everyone that I was too used to Expert... :wink:

Last edited:
Haha - that's great.

Latest posts

Back