HeroesCon 2008

At least the Stormtroopers are wearing helmets.
After a long damn search, all I have to ask is:

O RLY?

HelmetlessTrooper.jpg

Dude !!! I saw that guy at dragoncon I never knew he had his own site very cool.

Here's a question for everyone Where do you guys buy your costumes for conventions?

With my build the only costume I'd concider is The Kingpin. Not really a whole lot to buy for that. White Jacket, Black pants with purple stripes, purple neckerchief thing. Easy as pie.

And he rocks.

I'm game for Heroscon next year.

I've decided to share with you all an amusing story of my first night in Charlotte, NC at HeroesCon.

I arrived at the Westin hotel, and put my stuff up in my room and went back down to the bar to hang out with the guys from the Adam Hughes Yahoo group.

Now, I went to the con because Allison Sohn, Adam Hughes' significant other, and I are friends and she convinced me to come up to (in her words) the best con. I told her I had this irrational fear that I would show up and that would be the one year they couldn't make it. She said they always make Heroes Con because they drive in from Atlanta. So she hooks me up with some fantastic guys on the AH yahoo group who have a spare bed going in the hotel rooms they've booked.

So, I go down to the bar to catch up with these guys, Jason, Randy and his wife Patty. Terrific people. And then they tell me, "Did you hear the news? Adam and Allison were in a car accident!" "You're joking." I said. "No, seriously." Half of me was concerned for their safety. The other half did this:

"I KNEW IT!"

Apparently though, they were still coming down. And eventually, they came into the Westin, where they were staying (in fact, they were only a few doors down from my room, and Brandon Peterson was in the room next to mine), and Allison went to bed early and I stayed up into the night talking to people.

Jason was kind enough to introduce me around, which was a surreal experience. Meeting Mark Brooks was particularly odd. It seems that on the AH yahoo group (like here) I am something of a known personality. When I met Mark he responded with, very loudly, "You're BASS?! DUDE! You're AWESOME!" I, oddly enough, got that A LOT a Heroes Con. A strange number of people knew who I was and that I was "awesome". That was definately an ego boost.

I shook hands with people, and one guy in particular, with a brilliant accent said, "Hey, I'm Jeff Jones", "Hi, I'm Bass". Then, I ask, "And what do you do?"

Such embarrasment on a man, you've never seen. Sheepishly, his head turned into his chest, he said, "I... draw comic books..." I'm drawing a blank. "Under the name J.G. Jones?" "DUDE! ****! You're awesome!" My hand shaking became vigorous. I then amused him with a tale that happened to me earlier that day.

Because I decided to go to Heroes Con at the 11th hour, I did not have a direct flight. No. I went from Heathrow (a 2-hour drive for me) to Paris, changed and went to Atlanta, changed and went to Charlotte.

Now, here I am in Atlanta, in a long customs queue, panicking because I have to make the flight to Charlotte. I'm tired from a full day's of travelling and still a good two hours of travelling ahead of me. And what happens? The one customs guy is crazy.

This woman, in a Eastern European accent goes up to him and he asks, "What's your purpose in Atlanta?" "I come to see Atlanta" she responds. He looks at her, as though she's said, "I like bombs".

"That does not make sense!" he yelled. "I come to see Atlanta?" "That does not make sense! If you were here illegally. If you were smuggling illegal substances. THAT I understand. But just to 'see' Atlanta? That does not make sense."

He grilled this woman, who seemed to know no other English words and seemed to be completey taken aback at this line of questioning, he grilled her for TWENTY MINUTES.

Eventually, he got a translator and the truth of the matter was this - she had come to Atlanta to look at schools so she could send her son to the USA to learn.

Hardcore.

So, after her, he goes, "Next" and I'm next. And I'm thinking back to ALL THE GODDAMN JOKES MY FRIENDS HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR THE LAST WEEK ABOUT HOW I'M AN ARAB GOING TO AMERICA AND THAT I'M NEVER GOING TO SEE ANYONE EVER AGAIN. And I walk up to the booth. Normally, I'm a jovial and playful sort, but here I'm smiling, sweating going, "Don't give this guy an in. He thinks he's on CSI."

"Purpose of visit?" "I've come to see a comic convention." "Comics?!" he says in disgust. "You mean comic books?" Terrified I respond, "Yes. ... Is that a problem?" "No no." And he processed me with an obvious disgruntled disappointment that his metamorphosis into Jack Bauer would have to wait.

So, considering JG Jones has just been sheepishly admitting he draws comics, I told him the crazy customs man story.

(It should be said this was the one, and ONLY incident I had in the US. It was wonderfully polite, the whole affair.)

Anyhow, time clicked on at it's about 2.30am and the bar is shut, except for one table, and that's Adam, Mark, Tom (Raney), and myself being loud and what not. The amusing thing is that Mark has noticeably become more and more Southern with each drink. So come 2.30am he's yelling at us, demanding to know our favourite sexual positions.

Apparently Mark is embarrassed by this story, but I think it's mythmaking.

Mark was looking through Adam's latest sketch book called "Greatest ****" with the 't' crossed out and an 'H' plastered over it. It's a good gag. Anyhow, Mark says, "Adam, you do draw the boobies well. But I prefer heinies, I'm an *** man." He then pointed out that, "75% of men are ***-men. They prefer doggy-style. I read it in Maxim." I, foolishly, challenged Mark's point of view.

Mark has an amusing way of conducting arguments: 1) Yell a lot. 2) Point at someone. 3) Yell at them. 4) Proclaim victory.

Mark demanded, immediately, to be told by all of us at the table our favourite sexual positions. He proclaimed his was "doggy style". There was one agreement, one statement of another style, and I said "doggy style" because Mark scared me. The dude wears cowboy boots. With spurs. Anyway, with three of us having said "doggy style" he proclaimed he had scientifically proven why Adam needs to draw more asses.

It was a wonderful first night.

(It should be noted that this story has been retold by Allison with the words, "Bass was holding Mark and Adam hostage". This is not true. She was high on painkillers. I'm just thankful the customs guy never heard that.)

Last edited:
I have just booked my room (which I'm sharing with someone) for the Westin from Thursday night to Monday morning.

It's $269 each, which is a lot more than last year. Basically, it's $89 for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, but Sunday night is $269. On it's own. They are milking it.

This is the Westin hotel.

Hopefully, this won't be the case next year. Thought I'd let you all know well in advance.

Yoyoyo.

I am heading off to Atlanta tomorrow morning to spend the next about ten days in holiday fun. As such, I may not sign in until I'm back home on the 21st.

Catch youse later.

It's all about HeroesCon next year people.

Seriously.

I know that barring some kind of deployment....I'm gonna be putting all my efforts into going. Hell....I might even volunteer for a deployment later this year just to earn the mad duckets it'll take to finance this trip.

So yeah.....HeroesCon next year people. Be there. Bass and Doom will.

When will it be next year? Because I'm not even sure I will be going to even WWP. I graduate next year, my youngest brother graduates high school, so if anything, I might just hit the NYCC.

The next year's dates are announced straight after the con's finished. So we'll know by the time I get back.

And Doom is totally up for it. It will be Bass-Doom-tastic.

I might just hit the NYCC.

Woot! Then you could meet up with the Good Doctor Strangefate!

Also, next summer I'll be taking an internship in NYC (either with TV people or with Comic People), and I DEFINITELY plan on driving out to Philly for that weekend, and if Heroes Con isn't the same weekend, I'll totally try to make it down there too.

Bass had me convinced this is where to be in the '08 convention circuit, but this would be a pretty major trip for me and I'm not sure I could swing it.

I have to check on somethings here, but I'll do everything possible to come, seriosuly, I'll get the money and make my first flight to America :D

It'll be my first trip alone, kinda scary if you think about it, but It'll be worth it.

W00T!

It's all about HeroesCon next year people.

Seriously.

I know that barring some kind of deployment....I'm gonna be putting all my efforts into going. Hell....I might even volunteer for a deployment later this year just to earn the mad duckets it'll take to finance this trip.

So yeah.....HeroesCon next year people. Be there. Bass and Doom will.

Add Houde to the list

But only if I get along wiht Doom this weekend.

Latest posts

Back