Hobgoblin

Goodwill

After the super hero hubbub in the title, we see Ultimate Spider-Man fight with the most anticipated hero since Venom, or so that goes in my opinion. There is so much potential with this character, especially after the death of Gwen and Peter's willingness to hang up his costume. Tensions are already strung high and, if this is a personal villain, which I am really hoping it turns out to be, Peter will put the kabosh on Spider-Man again.

Harry anyone? Real demon? Norman returns? What of the HOB GOBLIN?!

Personally, Hobgoblin is my most anticipated character to receive the ultimate treatment - bar none. He´s my favourite spidey-villain!

Back when I first started reading Spider-man, the big deal was who Hobgoblin really was. Flash Thompson was falsely accused, and became a fugitive for a while. Ah, those fond memories...you remember? Anyway, I would love it if Hobgoblins identity became a mystery in USM too.. at least for a while. And i also, like Goodwill, hopes he´s a personal villain. Maybe it´s Harry Osborne, although it somehow seems "to easy" an answer...

I can´t wait!

As I've said before, I would prefer a non-personal villian, we have enough of those already. And the Harry thing should be saved up for later. Like supermusli I have to say the best part of the Hobgoblin was the ouzzle around his identity. While I didn't read teh old stuff, I did pick up Hobgoblin Lives, where the true identity of the original Hobgoblin was finally revealed by the original writer. It was only a three issue series but it was brilliant. The story had you guessing right to the end, and when you went back over it, all the indicators were there but only became obvious once you knew who it was. If Bendis can do something similar I'd be very happy.

Real demon?

I really hope not. Bendis is creative enough to not have to rehash that stuff. IMHO, demons and stuff like that don't have any place in a Spider-Man book.

Well, I write a Spider-Man fan fic and I had an idea for the Hob Goblin that may be suitable for all of those who are looking for something different... First, the Hob shows up only to bug the hell outta Spider-Man and he turns out to be good at it. Peter figures that this is something tied to the other Green Goblin but it turns out to be one of those guys again... Here's the catch, though. Peter is unable to catch him to find out who he really is and he becomes much more than just a rehashed Goblin. I don't know, but that follows what you guys have been asking for.

UltimateE, you're right. I was just trying to make things a little more dicey! :) lol.

I think Hobgoblin will turn out to be Harry. It's been too long since we last seen him in Ultimate Six. But if they bring Harry back, they have to tie up Green Goblin also. He's too cool to leave in a cryogenic freezer.

Well, maybe that'll be the case. I'd love to see a rehabilitated Norman Osborne and Harry reunite with Peter and everything. Like, I know that Peter wouldn't be the best of friends with Harry due to the fact that his father is the GG, but that would be something interesting to bring up in the title. A lot of people have complained that the supporting cast is thinning out and I can't say I disagree so maybe we outta bring in Harry... Like, Hobgoblin or not, I think he should be around.

Well, I write a Spider-Man fan fic and I had an idea for the Hob Goblin that may be suitable for all of those who are looking for something different... First, the Hob shows up only to bug the hell outta Spider-Man and he turns out to be good at it. Peter figures that this is something tied to the other Green Goblin but it turns out to be one of those guys again... Here's the catch, though. Peter is unable to catch him to find out who he really is and he becomes much more than just a rehashed Goblin. I don't know, but that follows what you guys have been asking for.

Now that is a HOT idea. You got one hellova imagination there!!

That's why I write fan fics.

Also, really, that's how all villains should start out. They should start small and work their way up to being classic. That's why you can't just force someone to be great, it just won't work. To develop characters you need to do so at a gradual pace, villains especially. That's why I am opposed to Bendis throwing away characters like the Green Goblin... Freezing him and shipping him off to SHIELD does not indicate any kind of return. Right now, I still don't see him as that big of a personal threat to Peter. Yes, he's made attacks, but he will forever be remembered, now, as a villain that tried to kill the president and infiltrate SHIELD.

Bendis hasn't thrown away Norman, he's (if you'll excuse the irony) preserving him. At the end of that arc eitehr the villians had to win or be defeated and incarcerated. That's what SHEILD and the Ultimates are for. At best Norman might have escaped, but that's not exactly in tune with his megalomania. Hef oungt it out to the end which was in character. Besides you can't have superpowered genetic monstrosities just running around. SHEILD would have to track him down. Ultimate Goblin isn't exactly the sort of character you can leave floating around.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think there's any monstrosity running rampant 'ecpt for maybe Venom that hasn't been captured or defeated with the help and knowledge of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Well, Norman Osborne was taken care of and stuff, but I'm saying that Bendis wrote his character into a corner. By making him such a powerful person so fast it took away from so much of the character that was there in 616. He struggled for power and achieved it whereas, here, he was pretty much given it. Two different Norman's and, honestly, the Green Goblin isn't Spider-Man's greatest nemesis in this Universe. I would give it to Venom or Doc Ock, really.

Gotta disagree with that. Ock isn't obsessed with Peter the way Norman is. Osborne considers Peter his property as well as his son. Getting Spidey wasn't one of Otto's priorities when he broke out of prison. He at least has some objectivity left. And Green Goblin is a lot more powerful than Doc Ock.

Venom has had next to nil in development so far, and really what has he done? Fight with Peter once then vanish. Osborne has almost killed Mary Jane, threatened Aunt May like it was going out of style, nearly killed Peter more than once, and terrorized him since day one. Ultimate Green Goblin is without a doubt Peter's number one foe.

Though I miss certain elements from 616, a guy who dresses up like a goblin, flies around on a rocket propelled glider that looks like a bat, throwing pumkin bombs doesn't exactly fit the Ultimate universe too well (though I ask equally how any kind of genetic alterations could give levitation powers and the ability to hurl fireballs). It's too out there.

Ock isn't obsessed with Peter the way Norman is.

I'll add to that by noting that Doc Oc didn't even care about Peter's name, he just wanted to "punish" him and get him out of the way.

Alright, who is the one that is constantly popping up inside of Spider-Man's head? Doc Ock.

Also, in terms of the personal level, Venom is spot on the number one person for that. He grew up with Spider-Man and he was created by Peter's father. It's almost like Spider-Man is fighting a part of his life.

It's a very tangible thing for Peter. His life and his father's failures. Same go for Carnage. I don't care who is most powerful or more obsessed than another, Venom and Carnage are very personal villains more so than Green Goblin because GG was also very bent on getting back at Fury... He wasn't giving his full to Peter.

Sure he was. His primary focus in the second Goblin arc was making Peter his son, re-educating him and owning him. Osborn made very few references to Fury in that story, his focus was almost solely on Peter. Revenge on Fury only became a dominant priority in Ultimate Six, but still Peter was his prioity. Revenge on Fury for the moment but Peter as his true son was his long term goal.

I'm sorry but there's been no underlining of Venom's importance at all. Reread all of the Spider-man related material and Venom seems like a footnote. More significant than Venom himself/itself was the tie into Peter's father and his role in the race for genetic weapons. The creation of Venom from Broack and the suit is more the punctuation mark of that story than its thrust. Seriously if we weren't aware of Venom's significance in 616 he would read as a peripheral character.

Norman is linked intimately to Peter becoming Spider-Man. No Osborn, no Spidey. Period. He's Spidey's first superpowered enemy and is Peter's enemy even before he becomes the Goblin. He's responsible for the creation of Doctor Octopus. He's also Peter's most dangerous enemey due to his brilliance and immensely powerful personality. He takes charge of the Six (all of which are either borderline or fullblown psychos and both Sandman and Elactro are powerful enough to stand up to Osborn) and within hours has the White House by it's short and curlies. He is a big enough threat to warrant the full team of Ultimates complete with full tactical support. No one tops Norman in terms of primacy at least at this moment.

Latest posts

Back