Homosexuality in Comics

Well, hopefully you'll be hearing a lot more about him after Nov 08.

Seriously, there are wonderful characters who are gay/les, they're just massively under utilized (case in point the previously mentioned Obsidian).

I'm not sure if DSF was saying he wanted to see straight characters "gayed" (and I'm pretty certain he wasn't). I feel that he, and myself included, wants to see not only the established homosexual characters to get more page time, or even new characters, and or monthly books.

Oh and about the bisexual characters, I can think of about 5 that have been outed in canon; Nico (Runaways), Zatanna, John Constantine, Ice (JLI) and Black Cat.

Seriously, there are wonderful characters who are gay/les, they're just massively under utilized (case in point the previously mentioned Obsidian).

I'm not sure if DSF was saying he wanted to see straight characters "gayed" (and I'm pretty certain he wasn't). I feel that he, and myself included, wants to see not only the established homosexual characters to get more page time, or even new characters, and or monthly books.

Oh and about the bisexual characters, I can think of about 5 that have been outed in canon; Nico (Runaways), Zatanna, John Constantine, Ice (JLI) and Black Cat.

Isn't poison Ivy bisexual ?

Last edited:

Wait--have those all been explicitly stated, or just blatantly obvious? I'm not saying subtext isn't enough (I read Runaways and I completely agree with you about Nico), but where were Black Cat, Zatanna or John bisexual?

Wait--have those all been explicitly stated, or just blatantly obvious? I'm not saying subtext isn't enough (I read Runaways and I completely agree with you about Nico), but where were Black Cat, Zatanna or John bisexual?

I know that John Constantine is. I've read about Zatanna linking a bit of both genders before, but Black Cat is news to me.

Black Cat was outed in the Kevin Smith mini (which sadly, is canon, because Smith is a hack)

Constantine in Hellblazer #50-ish

Zatanna = Everyday Magic

With Ivy, I know it was insinuated A LOT in the cartoon and in the Harley monthly, but I don't think it's been conclusively stated.

Last edited:
Haven't you heard? Bisexual characters are where it is izzat! That way, you can whack the taboo "gay" button like a whack-a-mole game, claim you're pushing 'boundaries', and yet, just go, "WHOOSH! I'MINVISIBIBLE!" whenever you want to! All the sensationalism! None of the insight! Gratuitous lesbo scenes whenever you want 'em!

Bisexuality. It's like being gay. But only when it's fashionable.

And let's not forget only about a year ago Joe Quesada said that if Marvel had a book starring a gay character it would automatically have to be MAX regardless of content. That's not exactly progress.

And if anyone can't, they will be banned. Not even infracted. I'm not going to have an intelligent, thought-provoking thread ruined again.

Homosexuality in comics is a horrific idea-what message is this sending to kids?

Please tell me this is a Ban.

Last edited:
Homosexuality in comics is a horrific idea-what message is this sending to kids?
I believe the messages it's sending is that even people we don't agree with have admirable qualities, that we should tolerate, if not actively like, people who aren't exactly like us, and that heroes can come in a variety of shapes, sizes, backgrounds, and appearances.

You are hereby forbidden from participating in this thread. Post in here again and you won't be back. Ever.

:shock: You haven't heard of Barack Obama?

On Moles behalf, right now Obama is just a candidate for the Democratic Nomination for President. He might not even get the Nomination, so if he hasn't heard of him in England I'm not surprised.

Zatanna? Really? And I never like Constantine as a bisexual character. Probably because the only place I've ever seen it mentioned was in Azzerello's run and it was just out of left field. It felt like he was just trying to make the one guy uncomfortable instead of having an interest, which seems like a Constantine thing to do, Bi or not.

On Moles behalf, right now Obama is just a candidate for the Democratic Nomination for President. He might not even get the Nomination, so if he hasn't heard of him in England I'm not surprised.

Also keep in mind Mole is a UKer.

Also keep in mind Mole is a UKer.

Not to criticise you or anything E but where do you think England is?

Latest posts

Back