Homosexuality in Comics

And let's not forget only about a year ago Joe Quesada said that if Marvel had a book starring a gay character it would automatically have to be MAX regardless of content. That's not exactly progress.
Seriously, is that for real? I can't find any reliable source confiriming this, with an exact quote. It may have been a misinterpretation of something he said, possibly? Does somebody have a relevant link, by any chance?

Last edited:
Also keep in mind Mole is a UKer.

Minus 500 awesome points.

Which now puts Mole in the hole -495 awesome points.

Tough luck....but thanks for playing. Ed....tell him what he's won....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to criticise you or anything E but where do you think England is?

California?

Amazingly, I missed that part of Baxter's post, even though I read enough of the first sentence to form a response in my mind.

Seriously, is that for real? I can't find any reliable source confiriming this, with an exact quote. It may have been a misinterpretation of something he said, possibly? Does somebody have a relevant link, by any chance?

It is real. I've seen it at Newsarama I think. I believe that it was not something he agreed with, but he would have to do it.... or something like that.

Minus 500 awesome points.

Which now puts Mole in the hole -495 awesome points.

Tough luck....but thanks for playing. Ed....tell him what he's won....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait I had 5 points! Woohoo!.

NRAMA: Going around the horn somewhat, last week Mark Paniccia gave us details on the new Western event in the summer. Noticeably absent in the sense of having a new story focused on him was the Rawhide Kid, arguably (though relatively speaking) your most high-profile Western character.

Why isn't he being featured in a new story and does it have any relation to the now infamous Rawhide Kid MAX series of a few years ago?

JQ: Well, we didn't want Chuck Dixon angry at us anymore.

I'm kidding, Chuck [laughs]...

Well, understand that if we were to go with the gay Kid we would have had to label the books MAX and that's not what we wanted for this event.

New Joe Fridays Week 36

If that's what it was, he is being taken horribly out of context. He said anymore Rawhide Kid comics would have to be Max, and I agree. There was a large amount of over-the-top adult humor in that book.

Actually I think the character being gay has little bearing on what he's saying.

It is real. I've seen it at Newsarama I think. I believe that it was not something he agreed with, but he would have to do it.... or something like that.
That's a bull**** cop-out. So basically, he's saying that Marvel share-holders -- the only people who an Editor-in-Chief like Joe Q is answerable to, with regards to "controversial" creative decisions, from a business perspective -- would not accept a non-MAX title with a non-straight protagonist. That just doesn't make any sense!

If it was a proposed title that was meant to be like The L Word or Queer As Folk, but with spandex and super-powers then maybe MAYBE I can understand the need for a MAX "rating". But if it were a well-written Marvel title, first and foremost, whose protagonist happened to be involved in a non-hetero relationship, no more or less flawed or human than any straight one, then why would it NEED to be published under a "mature readers" imprint (with all the stigma that implies)?

EDIT: Just read the actual quote. Okay, it was definitely taken out of context.

Last edited:
I'm a little offended that Mole would think I'm that stupid.

I ....... I should stay quiet right in stead of putting my foot in my mouth?

MMMMM foot

That's a bull**** cop-out. So basically, he's saying that Marvel share-holders -- the only people who an Editor-in-Chief like Joe Q is answerable to, with regards to "controversial" creative decisions, from a business perspective -- would not accept a non-MAX title with a non-straight protagonist. That just doesn't make any sense!

If it was a proposed title that was meant to be like The L Word or Queer As Folk, but with spandex and super-powers then maybe MAYBE I can understand the need for a MAX "rating". But if it were a well-written Marvel title, first and foremost, whose protagonist happened to be involved in a non-hetero relationship, no more or less flawed or human than any straight one, then why would it NEED to be published under a "mature readers" imprint (with all the stigma that implies)?

But...haven't we already proven that he was misquoted and being taken out of context?

Haven't you heard? Bisexual characters are where it is izzat! That way, you can whack the taboo "gay" button like a whack-a-mole game, claim you're pushing 'boundaries', and yet, just go, "WHOOSH! I'MINVISIBIBLE!" whenever you want to! All the sensationalism! None of the insight! Gratuitous lesbo scenes whenever you want 'em!

Bisexuality. It's like being gay. But only when it's fashionable.

See, my problem is the hype stuff like Batwoman being a lesbian got. I mean, as much as I love her, she wasn't the first by a far sight. Hell, I remember being a kid reading New Mutants and Xian (Karma) being a lesbian, and it got no fanfare.

But...haven't we already proven that he was misquoted and being taken out of context?
Yup, sorry -- I posted that rant BEFORE I read the actual quote. This thead moves damn quickly!

Not that i'm complaining -- it's brought up a number of very interesting related discussions :D

See, my problem is the hype stuff like Batwoman being a lesbian got. I mean, as much as I love her, she wasn't the first by a far sight. Hell, I remember being a kid reading New Mutants and Xian (Karma) being a lesbian, and it got no fanfare.

I thought she was

ANd it didn't affect my growing up

That's not the original quote though. The original quote was from regular Joe Fridays, before it became New Joe Fridays. You can't access those anymore.

Here's a reference to the statement, which he's backtracking from, in New Joe fridays 10:

Joe Quesada said:
NRAMA: Well, all projects are made up at one point…

Okay, so we're going to have to put you on the spot again about an issue that arose during your Chicago Cup 'O Joe panel, which was picked up by the gay press and sparked some debate.

Though you made it fairly clear the policy isn't of your making and that you're not happy about it yourself (correct us if we're wrong about that interpretation?), it's regarding the Marvel Comics policy about any solo series starring a gay or lesbian character would be published as a MAX title.

First of all, we have to ask, is it a true policy in the sense would your higher ups even truly consider publishing a solo series starring a homosexual character {and where his or her sexuality played a significant role), considering the negative publicity you cited Marvel as a company is apparently wary of?

It's one thing to cite a policy saying "this would happen if", but what is the true likelihood given the circumstances of any project actually being approved if this sensibility exists?

JQ: I'm glad you asked me this, fortunately this question has been raised again and it's given us the opportunity to spark some internal discussions and revisit this issue especially in light of the fact that we have characters like Freedom Ring (who is the current star of Marvel Team Up without much fanfare mind you) and that we've had more gay and lesbian characters appearing in Marvel comics than ever before. In many ways, the old policy over the last few years has just sort of faded away, so let me just say that there is no longer any policy.

NRAMA: Okay, just so we're clear about this – a character's sexual orientation is no longer a factor in determining the rating of a potential title starring that character? So Freedom Ring – to use your example – could star in a non-MAX/Marvel Universe title – even if the character's sexual orientation was a factor in the story?

JQ: Yes and Freedom Ring is already the star of Marvel Team Up.

NRAMA: And this is a new policy, or more accurately, the policy that may have prevented that the last few years is newly no longer in effect?

JQ: Correct.

NRAMA: Can you give interested parties any insight into the circumstances of this change?

JQ: It's pretty simple, the topic really hasn't come up in quite some time, we discussed it and decided it was no longer necessary.

Yeah. I mentioned the hype in my first post. No good cam from hyping a charracter based on sexual preference as that leads to what I said that is bad because
a) A huge milestone , That creates too much pressure for it to be great. or b) A gimmick , That pretty much dooms the character from the get go

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back