I just caved and got caught up on How I Met Your Mother. I actually just watched 13 episodes in a row (rough day).

The season got better since I gave up on the show back in October.

But I almost wish I hadn't watched them now…

The end of the last episode upset me so much. I am absolutely bummed right now.

Last edited:
The end of the last episode upset me so much. I am absolutely bummed right now.

Ok so is it that Ted's mom died or 'the mother' dies in the future (which is a theory as to why Ted tells his kids how he met their mom)?

I took it as them alluding to Ted's mom passing away.

There were three statements that seemed important.

1) The Mother says she worries about him and that she doesn't want him to get stuck in the past with his stories. Life only moves forward

2) When Ted was remembering them all being together for potentially the last time, he started to say that everyone felt it but that they didn't talk about it and the Mother finished the thought. She said something about how they didn't need to express what they're re feeling, I can't remember exactly the wording.

3) Then at the end, there was the part about a mother not being there for her daughter's wedding, at which point Ted started to cry.

So yeah, either the Mother is going to die or the writers of the show are completely misleading us because they're terrible people.

I mean, the idea that the mother dies and that's why Ted is telling his kids all about it is really soul-crushing, but it kind of works well for the show. I think a show like this is hard to end well. It will probably be a let down and anticlimactic when it finally happens, but if the twist ending is that she's dead in the future, it kind of makes the whole thing a whole lot more poignant.

Either way though, they've got me hooked again.

Last edited:
Ahh, I missed the part about a mother missing her daughter's wedding. I thought what was said was just a mother missing her kid's wedding.

Yeah. That definitely seems like it's leading to the mother having passed away at some point in the future.

Poor Ted if that's the case. :(

I hope it's not true, but of course she'd say that. True or not, she wouldn't just say "Yes, the mother dies."

The interview where she says that, she also didn't deny it.

Didn't know you were engaged. Congrats!
Thanks man, we got engaged last summer, but she goes to school in Scotland. So I haven't seen her since mid-January.

I missed it, will DL it and check it out. Only a few left. I'm admittedly happy it's ending, as after 9 years I've had my fill. Looking forward to seeing how it wraps up.
I should clarify, the story itself is kind of meh (read: filler) but the framing of it is Ted and the mother's first date. It's like three minutes of the actual episode, but it's really sweet… if unrealistic.

I liked how the last episode wrapped up the story for previous characters and even getting to learn Blah Blah's actual name, Carol!

Also, what was unrealistic, Cap?

Last edited:
I liked how the last episode wrapped up the story for previous characters and even getting to learn Blah Blah's actual name, Carol!

Also, what was unrealistic, Cap?

Mom JUST broke up with her long term bf (who btw played Doomsday in Smallville, I think) after he proposed. Like two days earlier. But with Ted, she just knows on the first date. You can connect with someone immediately, but no one is going to turn down a proposal from their boyfriend one day and then be sure you've found "the one" a few days later. Also, the fact that she's pretty much a female, musical Ted is a bit unreasonable too. People typically don't fall in love with someone just like them.

But it's minor. It was a sweet ending.

Sigh, I was afraid that would happen. Over all, I'm not a fan of the ending, but I suppose it makes sense as a finalé to the series.

I just feel like that last episode was a let down. Everything the show was supposed to be about was glossed over and was ultimately unimportant. I don't mind that she died, but that she died so Ted could end up with Robin at the end? It makes sense given how much of the story was about Ted loving her, but seriously?

EDIT: The show should be re-titled, 'How I Fell In Love With Your Aunt Robin and Wanted Her For Nine Years But One Of My Best Friends Married Her So I Met Your Mother, Which - Don't Get Me Wrong - Was Great And All, But Now She's Dead And Robin and Barney Didn't Work Out So I'd Like To Ultimately End Up With Her.'

EDIT AGAIN: Not to mention that Robin and Barney didn't get divorced because Of Barney, they got divorced b/c of Robin's career. So what's stopping the same thing from happening to Ted and Robin now?

But I did like how having a daughter changed Barney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How I Met Your Mother (discussion)

Here are some thoughts I had while watching season 1 on DVD:

• The Slutty pumpkin girl will actually appear for once sometime during one of the future seasons.
  • Victoria will come back again for another few episodes.
  • If not before then, we will actually find out what Barney does during the final episode.

I think I had something else, but I forgot.

Well done.

I just feel like that last episode was a let down. Everything the show was supposed to be about was glossed over and was ultimately unimportant. I don't mind that she died, but that she died so Ted could end up with Robin at the end? It makes sense given how much of the story was about Ted loving her, but seriously?

EDIT: The show should be re-titled, 'How I Fell In Love With Your Aunt Robin and Wanted Her For Nine Years But One Of My Best Friends Married Her So I Met Your Mother, Which - Don't Get Me Wrong - Was Great And All, But Now She's Dead And Robin and Barney Didn't Work Out So I'd Like To Ultimately End Up With Her.'

EDIT AGAIN: Not to mention that Robin and Barney didn't get divorced because Of Barney, they got divorced b/c of Robin's career. So what's stopping the same thing from happening to Ted and Robin now?

But I did like how having a daughter changed Barney.

I do have to agree, at least in part. The final episode (in relation to the rest of the series) made Robin seem like a selfish jerk. She and Barney divorce so she can focus on her career (which I understand), then Ted's wife dies and six years later he makes his umpteenth move on Robin and she (presumably) accepts. WTF? He's been trying for 9 years, and what, 17 years later you finally decide to get with Ted? What? I don't know, it just seemed unnecessary and untrue to how the character's had developed throughout the show.

There was some cool stuff in the finale, like Barney having his daughter and it changing his attitude/outlook on women. Predictable, but still nice. Marshall and Lily had the least interesting wrap-up, unfortunately, though I guess that was to be expected.

Decent finale, but it really could have been, and should have been, a more emotional and better developed ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
It SHOULD have focused more on the mother! The finale of the episode was about Robin and Barney. If the whole hour had mostly been about Ted and The mother (was her name Tracy?) and especially about her getting sick and dying, it would have been okay, but they focused on Robin and Barney and just sort of glanced over the fact that the mother DIED! Seriously, they spent less than a minute on it at the end of the episode. That should have been the point of the finale of the show. Mention in passing that Barney and Robin got divorced, that Barney had a daughter and that it changed him. Show, in emotionally excruciating detail how Ted loved Tracy and how much he was destroyed by her death. Show Robin being there for him as a friendin his darkest time. Show briefly the passage of time and the growth of that friendship again. THEN end the episode with the kids encouraging Ted to go for her and him going to get the blue French horn.

Honestly, I was in tears, heavily sobbing as soon as the empty apartment was shown all the way to the mother dying, but as soon as the "reveal" came about Ted's intentions behind telling the story I had to dry it all up because it was such a what the **** moment that I just couldn't believe it. The mother dying was already a small bit of a stretch, because let's face it, during the story Ted's kids were being disrespectful brats, which makes it just seem like they didn't care. How excited they were about him ending up with Robin hit the nail even harder on the "look dude, we don't care about our dead mom" aspect. I understand that yes, people do move on after things like that happen, but he's not moving on, he's backsliding a whole 25 years.

Barney and Robin's divorce was believable, Barney's backsliding was not. We saw him grow with Nora, Quinn, Patrice (to an extent), and Robin, and it just doesn't make sense to his character. I guess it was necessary in order to push Robin away from the group, but it felt very cheap.

This show became very important to me over the last five years, and I always loved it for it's "small pieces of a larger puzzle" type narrative (hell, my only tattoo is the yellow umbrella, as a way to symbolize that idea) but at the end of it all it just seems like the ending says "Well, the puzzles done, it's not important, what's going on over there!?"

I'm very bummed out /endrant

Last edited:
It SHOULD have focused more on the mother! The finale of the episode was about Robin and Barney. If the whole hour had mostly been about Ted and The mother (was her name Tracy?) and especially about her getting sick and dying, it would have been okay, but they focused on Robin and Barney and just sort of glanced over the fact that the mother DIED! Seriously, they spent less than a minute on it at the end of the episode. That should have been the point of the finale of the show. Mention in passing that Barney and Robin got divorced, that Barney had a daughter and that it changed him. Show, in emotionally excruciating detail how Ted loved Tracy and how much he was destroyed by her death. Show Robin being there for him as a friendin his darkest time. Show briefly the passage of time and the growth of that friendship again. THEN end the episode with the kids encouraging Ted to go for her and him going to get the blue French horn.

Couldn't have said it better. Completely agree.

Honestly, I was in tears, heavily sobbing as soon as the empty apartment was shown all the way to the mother dying, but as soon as the "reveal" came about Ted's intentions behind telling the story I had to dry it all up because it was such a what the **** moment that I just couldn't believe it. The mother dying was already a small bit of a stretch, because let's face it, during the story Ted's kids were being disrespectful brats, which makes it just seem like they didn't care. How excited they were about him ending up with Robin hit the nail even harder on the "look dude, we don't care about our dead mom" aspect. I understand that yes, people do move on after things like that happen, but he's not moving on, he's backsliding a whole 25 years. Barney and Robin's divorce was believable, Barney's backsliding was not. We saw him grow with Nora, Quinn, Patrice (to an extent), and Robin, and it just doesn't make sense to his character. I guess it was necessary in order to push Robin away from the group, but it felt very cheap. This show became very important to me over the last five years, and I always loved it for it's "small pieces of a larger puzzle" type narrative (hell, my only tattoo is the yellow umbrella, as a way to symbolize that idea) but at the end of it all it just seems like the ending says "Well, the puzzles done, it's not important, what's going on over there!?" I'm very bummed out /endrant

Yup.

I don't like this show and don't follow it (I think I mentioned here that I tried it by watching the first 5 episodes and had to give up on it because it was awful), but I did read a recap of the series finale and all I can say is - wow. I can't believe a network would allow such garbage writing on a show.

I couldn't believe it and thought it was an April Fool's Joke, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Here's the article in case anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back