How is Global Frequency? (no spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
I have been thinking about picking up Global Frequency by Warren Ellis. Anyone here read it? How is it?

I love Planetary, if that means anything.

I've read it (Big Supprise, Eh?) and its got some great issues. It basicly takes real world oddities and turns them into an adventure comic, sort of like a non-fiction planetary. Each issue is self contained with the exception of the final one (Bass, I know where you stole your stroy structure...). They follow a civillian run anti-terrorism team called The Global Frequency that operates off of Cell Phones. They employ various experts that they can contact immediatly thanks to said phones and a information dispatcher named Aelph (points to whomever gives the origin of that name) to disarm various emergency situations that goverments are unable or unwilling to handle. I'd say go for it E. Infact I think I might want ot go re-read it...

Baxter said:
I've read it (Big Supprise, Eh?) and its got some great issues. It basicly takes real world oddities and turns them into an adventure comic, sort of like a non-fiction planetary. Each issue is self contained with the exception of the final one (Bass, I know where you stole your stroy structure...). They follow a civillian run anti-terrorism team called The Global Frequency that operates off of Cell Phones. They employ various experts that they can contact immediatly thanks to said phones and a information dispatcher named Aelph (points to whomever gives the origin of that name) to disarm various emergency situations that goverments are unable or unwilling to handle. I'd say go for it E. Infact I think I might want ot go re-read it...

It's Aleph, and it's, amongst other things, the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and some kind of logical computer programming if I remember.

But yeah, the GF is a wonderful piece of work. A few issues are duds, in particular the ones featuring nothing supernatural or science fiction based. But overall, a great read.

My favourite issue is the one with the Japanese guy coming out of retirement. Good stuff.

Last edited:
i loved it...i read the tpb without having any idea what the crap it was about...freaking awesome...makes me wish that the global frequency television show really happened and that i was part of the global frequency...i want one of those sweet cell phones

There are 1001 people on the Global Frequency.

Are you on the Global Frequency?

That tagline hooked me. I thought it was a superhero thing, but it's much better.

Basically, the idea is that there are loads and loads of super secret organisations and black ops projects and what not in the world and none of them know what the others are up to.

So Miranda Zero creates the Global Frequency. A rapid deployment rescue organisation designed to keep track of all the other super secret organisations. The Global Frequency has 1001 people on it, and each of them is handpicked because of something they personally are good at. That can be anything from military strategy, forensic science, occult knowledge, computer programming - or even freerunning.

Each issue is self-contained and it works like this - something horrific is about to destroy the world. Some secret organisation has created something that will result in the destruction of many innocent lives. And it's going to happen NOW. Right. Now. It's up to Global Frequency to stop it, and they only have one chance.

It's brilliant, unbelievably exciting and I love it to death. Twelve issues is most certainly not enough.

Bass said:
There are 1001 people on the Global Frequency.

Are you on the Global Frequency?

That tagline hooked me. I thought it was a superhero thing, but it's much better.

Basically, the idea is that there are loads and loads of super secret organisations and black ops projects and what not in the world and none of them know what the others are up to.

So Miranda Zero creates the Global Frequency. A rapid deployment rescue organisation designed to keep track of all the other super secret organisations. The Global Frequency has 1001 people on it, and each of them is handpicked because of something they personally are good at. That can be anything from military strategy, forensic science, occult knowledge, computer programming - or even freerunning.

Each issue is self-contained and it works like this - something horrific is about to destroy the world. Some secret organisation has created something that will result in the destruction of many innocent lives. And it's going to happen NOW. Right. Now. It's up to Global Frequency to stop it, and they only have one chance.

It's brilliant, unbelievably exciting and I love it to death. Twelve issues is most certainly not enough.

Sold!

So it's done then? I noticed there are only 2 trades.

Did you manage to download the pilot TV episode? (450mb file, too big to send.) Aleph looks great, Miranda Zero is so stern as to be vaguely scary. I would like to kick all the TV execs who chose to pass on this - it actually looks, you know, GOOD.

I read some of it, but it didn't really interest me. What I saw of the pilot episode looked good though.

UltimateE said:
Sold!

So it's done then? I noticed there are only 2 trades.

That's all there is. Since each issue is self-contained, it's not like there's anything "unresolved", it's like Columbo. You just want another one is all.

Also, the pilot is actually very good. But it's a bit sci-fi and thus, cursed by the networks. It's strange as Forbes was sexy, the story had two other sexy women in it, a handsome male lead, it was full of action, very easy to understand, and had great production. It was an entire season of 24 in one hour. It was insanely sellable.

And they didn't pick it up. I can't even begin to think why.

The only problem I had with the pilot was that it was too long. I think that because it's an hour-long drama, it lost a lot of what the comic had - the sense of urgency and the fast pace. I maintain that Global Frequency as a 30 minute spy adventure series would be insanely good.

Bass said:
That's all there is. Since each issue is self-contained, it's not like there's anything "unresolved", it's like Columbo. You just want another one is all.

Also, the pilot is actually very good. But it's a bit sci-fi and thus, cursed by the networks. It's strange as Forbes was sexy, the story had two other sexy women in it, a handsome male lead, it was full of action, very easy to understand, and had great production. It was an entire season of 24 in one hour. It was insanely sellable.

And they didn't pick it up. I can't even begin to think why.

The only problem I had with the pilot was that it was too long. I think that because it's an hour-long drama, it lost a lot of what the comic had - the sense of urgency and the fast pace. I maintain that Global Frequency as a 30 minute spy adventure series would be insanely good.

Cool.

My local bookstore had vol. 2, and vol. 1 should be arriving by mail in about 2 days.

Thanks for the info.

This will probably evolve into a Global Freqency discussion thread...

I got Vol. 1 in the mail today. What a cool book! Every issue so far has been creative, unique, and fun. I need to get ahold of that pilot - I'd love to see how it translates.

Between this, Fell, and Planetary, Warren Ellis is a master at the single issue stories which contribute to a larger overall story.

Read it, loved it.

Loved the pilot also.

Highly recommended.

Whole post with no complete sentences.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

"Everybody knows that the agencies that are supposed to protect us, NEVER talk to each other. So, some of the best, scariest intelligence agents solved the problem.

"Now... they spy on the spies.

"They get all the pieces, they put them together and they stop whatever's coming, whatever the cost.

"Miranda knew with all the secret horrors out there, no ONE group could solve every problem.

So if you are the best at what you do... No matter how strange, or obscure, or mundane... one day, Miranda Zero appears on your door and hands you the phone. That means what you do, will save lives.

"You are needed.

"I'm needed."

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

My comic guy got me hooked on it by telling me Jason Pearson did the art to one part. I read the first trade and couldn't put it down. Got the second and literally holed up and turned off my cell to read it.

Ellis needs to write more of the Global Frequency.

What is the story behind the end of the series? Was it always intended to be 12 issues, did he run out of ideas, has he ever mentioned bringing it back, etc.?

What is the story behind the end of the series? Was it always intended to be 12 issues, did he run out of ideas, has he ever mentioned bringing it back, etc.?
Yes, no, no.

Also, Miranda Zero says, "Don't eat the kung pao chicken, E. It's MINE."

Latest posts

Back