How long does it take for a comic book or GN to decompose (rot away etc)

a fan

I want to know how long it takes a comic book to decompose. In 40 years I want to take out a comic book and show it to my grandson. I don't want him to say: grandpa why are the pages breaking or something like that I want my comic in a good readable condition.
Is the comic book industry leaning towards making comics availble on the computer or is this just a marvel comics thing? because if you did that you could save all of the comics on flash drvies and not have to worry about them decomposing or whatever

Last edited:
Well, as someone who still has FORTRAN punch cards and 5 and 1/4 floppy disks, I'm not sure that your faith in the longevity of digital format is entirely justified.

Certainly with a little effort and updating it'll outlast paper, though - I've got some comics from the 50s and 60s that weren't bagged, boarded and all the other stuff and they are in very poor condition. Comics and trades aren't being printed on archival-type paper (of course, almost nothing is these days) and I wouldn't expect to get 40 years out of them without some fairly careful preservation.

I don't know, but I'd be more than happy to toss my UIM issues out the window and find out.

E said:
I don't know, but I'd be more than happy to toss my UIM issues out the window and find out.

They'll never make it to the ground. Someone will recognize them instantly and immediately fire flame-tipped arrows at them.

Victor Von Doom said:
They'll never make it to the ground. Someone will recognize them instantly and immediately fire flame-tipped arrows at them.
Ted Nugent?

I would be honored if The Nuge destroyed my UIM issues with a flame-tipped arrow.

I spoke to the owner at my local comic book shop and he said that since the mid 80's comic books have used higher quality paper then newsprint and it won't turn yellow like newsprint does

About as long as the half-life of nostalgia.

I don't think this is true, because if it were, we'd basically be able to will comics out of existence, wouldn't we? And try as I may, Ultimates 3 is still here.

I don't think this is true, because if it were, we'd basically be able to will comics out of existence, wouldn't we? And try as I may, Ultimates 3 is still here.
Willing things out of existence never works. NEVER.

Imagine:

Scarlet Witch: "No more Ultimates 3..."

*world turns white*

Hank Pym: "All this suckage... the suckage of thousands of copies of Ultimates 3... it didn't all just disappear. I'm asking, 'Where did it go?' It's Sir Isaac Newton's third law of physics... Everyone knows it: 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So I'm asking, 'What will be the reaction?'"

Ultimates 198!!!

Imagine:

*world turns white*

Hank Pym: "All this suckage... the suckage of thousands of copies of Ultimates 3... it didn't all just disappear. I'm asking, 'Where did it go?' It's Sir Isaac Newton's third law of physics... Everyone knows it: 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So I'm asking, 'What will be the reaction?'"

much rejoicing?

Last edited:

Imagine:

*world turns white*

Ultimates 198!!!

or worse....

Bands of Jeph Loebs wandering the wastelands of the DC and Marvel universes, writing at will and having complete control over both universes.

The decomposition rate is directly proportional to the quality.

Alan Moore's MIRACLEMAN (MARVELMAN) disintegrates as soon as it's read, which is why there's so few copies around.

Whereas ULTIMATES 3 is kinda like styrofoam. It's an environmental pollutant that will never die. In fact, it may even cause the extinction of our species.

The decomposition rate is directly proportional to the quality.

Alan Moore's MIRACLEMAN (MARVELMAN) disintegrates as soon as it's read, which is why there's so few copies around.

Whereas ULTIMATES 3 is kinda like styrofoam. It's an environmental pollutant that will never die. In fact, it may even cause the extinction of our species.
No wonder Watchmen ****ing sucks so much.

Latest posts

Back