How many viewings did it take....

Hmm... this is a difficult question.

I think my favourite movie is The Shawshank Redemption. I remember watching it Christmas night and really liking it. I think the second and third time I saw it was due to a class assignment about a year later. From studying and watching the movie at a deeper level, I came to understand how powerful it was, how great all of its components were and how filmmaking leads to a masterpiece.

I also ended up directing a scene from it in one of my classes. It is odd how this movie keeps recurring in my life.

I think you definitely need to see a movie a couple of times, normally in a different context and different situation and probably a good amount of time apart, especially if there is a lot of hype surrounding your first viewing (someone choosing The Dark Knight or Inglourious Basterds as their favourite movie ever after seeing it once, for example).

Silence of the Lambs. Probably once.

I didn't really document every moment of my viewing experience so it's hard to say.:D

It does seem like one of those movies where you have to watch it more than once in order for it to "settle in," so maybe it took two times.

Last edited:

I think my favourite movie is The Shawshank Redemption. I remember watching it Christmas night and really liking it. I think the second and third time I saw it was due to a class assignment about a year later. From studying and watching the movie at a deeper level, I came to understand how powerful it was, how great all of its components were and how filmmaking leads to a masterpiece.

I also ended up directing a scene from it in one of my classes. It is odd how this movie keeps recurring in my life.

I think you definitely need to see a movie a couple of times, normally in a different context and different situation and probably a good amount of time apart, especially if there is a lot of hype surrounding your first viewing (someone choosing The Dark Knight or Inglourious Basterds as their favourite movie ever after seeing it once, for example).

same movie 5 times to love. Definitely my #1

Kill Bill: Watched them continuously on two occasions, neither of which I care for anymore. I have seen the first one 5 times and the second one twice. The movie was great at first. Had a chance to meet him at a private screening. I worked overnights at the time and my manager wouldn't give me the night off. Apparently Paul Mitchell was there; the shampoo guy. Hibs met him though.

Hm.... Either Mulholland Dr. or Once Upon A Time In The West.

I loved both after the first viewing.

Hm.... Either Mulholland Dr. or Once Upon A Time In The West.

I loved both after the first viewing.

I've seen Once Upon A Time in the West and it didn't really do anything for me. I'd like to go back and watch it after seeing more of the Western genre though. The music was a highlight.

I had Mulholland Drive out from the library but ran out of time to watch it. I'm planning on watching all of David Lynch's movies in chronological order sometime though.

About a Boy.

About five or six times. I certainly don't consider it the greatest film ever made, but I empathise with the two protagonists hilariously in so many ways that I never really understood until recently.

It's what I imagine Planet-Man's relationship with Wet Hot American Summer to be.

Last edited:

I would also probably say The Shawshank Redemption, and it's hard to say how many times, because I couldn't even begin to guess how many times I saw bits and pieces of it on TV and thought it was OK, but once I got the DVD and watched it beginning to end I was floored at what an amazing film it was.

I can't start to watch a movie part way through because of this.

I would also probably say The Shawshank Redemption, and it's hard to say how many times, because I couldn't even begin to guess how many times I saw bits and pieces of it on TV and thought it was OK, but once I got the DVD and watched it beginning to end I was floored at what an amazing film it was.

I can't start to watch a movie part way through because of this.

I liked Shawshank. But I tend to shy away from movies based on books only because the movie is rarely as good. Especially King books. And Shawshank is no exception although it is very well done.

For me it is the Blues Brothers. And it only took 1 viewing. Def the best movie soundtrack ever also.

I liked Shawshank. But I tend to shy away from movies based on books only because the movie is rarely as good. Especially King books. And Shawshank is no exception although it is very well done.

For me it is the Blues Brothers. And it only took 1 viewing. Def the best movie soundtrack ever also.

I don't know how people can say that a movie is better than the book. Like in the case of Stephen King movies; they are rarely faithful to the books, but they're still great. And they're two completely different things, the book and the movie.

My standard answer for my favorite movie of all time is Clerks. I loved it the first time I saw it, but it wasn't until my second viewing years later that it became my favorite movie and partially inspired me to go to college and make something of myself.

I don't know how people can say that a movie is better than the book. Like in the case of Stephen King movies; they are rarely faithful to the books, but they're still great. And they're two completely different things, the book and the movie.

I agree that the movies are rarely as good as the books. Not sure that they are always great tho. If we stick with King's books/movies for minute, The Shining was a GREAT book and the movie was awful in comparison. I guess if you just saw the movie and never read the book the movie would be alright. Same for many of his books. They don't always translate well to movies although some do better than others. Shawshank happened to be one that translated well.

My biggest problem is if I see a movie before I read the book it ruins the book. I saw the Shining before I read it and when I read it I kept picturing Shelly what's her name as the wife and in the book she is not described that way at all. (in the book she is a pretty blond)

Honestly I have never seen a movie based on a book where I liked the movie better than the book. Maybe I just prefer the images I create in my head when I read a book vs seeing a directors interpretation of the same thing which often times conflicts with how I imagined it.

Agreed.

I agree that the movies are rarely as good as the books. Not sure that they are always great tho. If we stick with King's books/movies for minute, The Shining was a GREAT book and the movie was awful in comparison. I guess if you just saw the movie and never read the book the movie would be alright. Same for many of his books. They don't always translate well to movies although some do better than others. Shawshank happened to be one that translated well.

My biggest problem is if I see a movie before I read the book it ruins the book. I saw the Shining before I read it and when I read it I kept picturing Shelly what's her name as the wife and in the book she is not described that way at all. (in the book she is a pretty blond)

Honestly I have never seen a movie based on a book where I liked the movie better than the book. Maybe I just prefer the images I create in my head when I read a book vs seeing a directors interpretation of the same thing which often times conflicts with how I imagined it.

But The Shining's completely different from the book. And it's still one of my favorite movies. Like, even though it's based on King's work, so much of it is Kubrick's vision so it's not fair to say it's not as good as the book.

You can say that about ANY two completely different things though. Sometimes one of them is only okay and the other is great. Or sometimes one has basic ideas and the other does something really original with them.

But The Shining's completely different from the book. And it's still one of my favorite movies. Like, even though it's based on King's work, so much of it is Kubrick's vision so it's not fair to say it's not as good as the book.

I guess but how do you not compare it to the book? I can't help it. If I see a movie based on a book my first reaction is "how does it compare to the book?"

Kind of similar to what we all do with comic movies. (ie did the movie stay true to the characters and the story etc)

Latest posts

Back