How would you rate Brian K. Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men?

How would you rate Brian Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men?

• Total voters
Re: Rate BKV's run on UXM

UltimateE said:
Great poll, Pollmaster. :D

5 Stars. He was infinitely better than Millar and created some of the best Ultimizations in the UU. Team dynamics were great like MwoF said, and everything flowed nicely as a whole, not seeming like "villain of the week" stories like Bendis falls into so often, yet still standing strong as stories on their own.

I'm definitely going to miss him on this book.
:twisted: Sometimes.. when UltimateE agrees and gives me props just gives me the tinglies.... :twisted:

BKV's run kicked ***... anyone who thinks otherwise... I'm in a mood.... let's go... :?

Mark Millar was definately Better in my opinion, deserves five stars! I gave Brian 3, just for the fact that he doesnt give his stories that real gritty feel that Mark gave it, I mean Cry Wolf captured it but after that it was a bit iffy, still enjoy his stories though.

Widdle Wade said:
Mark Millar was definately Better in my opinion, deserves five stars! I gave Brian 3, just for the fact that he doesnt give his stories that real gritty feel that Mark gave it, I mean Cry Wolf captured it but after that it was a bit iffy, still enjoy his stories though.
BKV was definetly better, especially since he actually *knew about* the characters before writing his run. :wink:

icemastertron said:
BKV was definetly better, especially since he actually *knew about* the characters before writing his run. :wink:

Now, I wonder what it would be like if BKV started UXM and Mark Millar did a run...

ProjectX2 said:
Now, I wonder what it would be like if BKV started UXM and Mark Millar did a run...
I'd be a lot happier. The sentinels being dropped into the first story and the Magneto 'dead or alive?' stuff bugged me. As did Mags already having this huge following and floating islands and so many silly things I didn't like in Millar's run.

Widdle Wade said:

See what I don't understand is why, since Watchmen, people think all comics have to feel "gritty". It depends on the story. "The Most Dangerous Game" wasn't a gritty story that's why it didn't feel that way. Tempest and Cry Wolf were very gritty so you get what I'm sayin'. I like Vaughan cause if he wants to capture a certain mood in his titles, he can adapt to that kind of storytelling.

Re: Rate BKV's run on UXM

RUFUS! said:
good, could be better though...better than Bendis run though :wink: i say 3/5

200 POST!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Anything can be better.

ProjectX2 said:
I've read up to Most Dangerous Game, and so far I'd say he's the best writer we've had on this title. However, Cry Wolf bored me. Probably because I dislike Kubert's art.

Cry Wolf was the most uninteresting Vaughan arc in my opinion, but Tempest and, even moreso Magnetic North, have rocked all kinds of ***. He definitly went out with a bang, though I still need to read the last issue. Vaughn definitly did the job he set out to do amazingly, and the fans responded accordingly.

TheManWithoutFear said:
How'd BKV do?

Probably the most entertained I've been since I picked it up. He's a writer who actually put noticeable time into UXM and for that I applaud him. Shame he had to go, too.

Guijllons said:
I'd be a lot happier. The sentinels being dropped into the first story and the Magneto 'dead or alive?' stuff bugged me. As did Mags already having this huge following and floating islands and so many silly things I didn't like in Millar's run.
Well, someone asked him on his board and this was his reply:

BKV said:
How would you have done Ult. X-men if you had started the title?
***I have no idea, honestly. I'd have to think about that. Despite being an *******, I think Millar did a pretty incredible job.

TheManWithoutFear said:
See what I don't understand is why, since Watchmen, people think all comics have to feel "gritty". It depends on the story. "The Most Dangerous Game" wasn't a gritty story that's why it didn't feel that way. Tempest and Cry Wolf were very gritty so you get what I'm sayin'. I like Vaughan cause if he wants to capture a certain mood in his titles, he can adapt to that kind of storytelling.

I say that because the gritty feel, gave it a more realistic approach to the X-Men, I mean there not superheroes, there after one thing, saving the reuptation of the Mutant race, and protecting Humans from Mutants, like i once heard Wolvie say "we police our own". I think the whole Ultimate Universe deserves the gritty feel save maybe Fantastic Four, but X-Men and Ultimates need to be gritty and Spier-man should be half gritty, half super-heroy, but FF should be pure Superheroy!"

Widdle Wade said:
I say that because the gritty feel, gave it a more realistic approach to the X-Men, I mean there not superheroes, there after one thing, saving the reuptation of the Mutant race, and protecting Humans from Mutants, like i once heard Wolvie say "we police our own". I think the whole Ultimate Universe deserves the gritty feel save maybe Fantastic Four, but X-Men and Ultimates need to be gritty and Spier-man should be half gritty, half super-heroy, but FF should be pure Superheroy!"
You're talking like gritty is something diametrically opposed to superheroey. In any case, gritty isn't realistic, it's merely a method in which realism can manifest itself.

Well I think the realistic aspect of comics is something thats starting to dissapear, and I wont lie im a big fan of the old school super hero stuff, but when Morrision was on X-Men i loved the direction he was taking, with the X-Corporation and stuff it made sense, just little tid bits, so i guess your right its just a genre in which realism can manifest itself, but gritty sells...I know girtty always attracts me to a comic.

Widdle Wade said:
Well I think the realistic aspect of comics is something thats starting to dissapear, and I wont lie im a big fan of the old school super hero stuff, but when Morrision was on X-Men i loved the direction he was taking, with the X-Corporation and stuff it made sense, just little tid bits, so i guess your right its just a genre in which realism can manifest itself, but gritty sells...I know girtty always attracts me to a comic.

I have to disagree about realism disappearing in comics, I think its just the opposite. Realism seems to be growing in comics, not disappearing. The Ultimate titles are sort of a testament to that. Not that the basic aspects of the books are believable, but they are set in a much more real world setting, with more realisitic character types (though the super powers are of course unrealistic).

Well, I've probably read two, maybe three of Vaughn's X-Men. Accidentally freezing Cap and then somebody (Widow or Wasp) says we'll thaw him out later, blah blah. Stupid. Sounds like a guy who's treating his fan club like morons (evidence mounts that they are).

And, Ex Machina is getting lamer by the month. I think the X-Men are tools, Vaughn is distracted by other projects, so I vote this a double-thumbs down. Vaughn is becoming the 'tarded Finch among writers.

The fact that he's decided to join Card in creator-owned comix (check it out) is disturbing.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/about.shtml

John Q. Public said:
Well, I've probably read two, maybe three of Vaughn's X-Men. Accidentally freezing Cap and then somebody (Widow or Wasp) says we'll thaw him out later, blah blah. Stupid. Sounds like a guy who's treating his fan club like morons (evidence mounts that they are).
So you don't think he writes good battle-banter. I fail to see how that means he's treating his fan club like morons.

John Q. Public said:
And, Ex Machina is getting lamer by the month.
Relevant how? Ex Machina is not, as I understand it, a basic superhero comic. Ultimate X-men is. An opinion of one should not be the opinion of the other automatically, because they aren't the same, nor are they meant to be the same.

John Q. Public said:
I think the X-Men are tools, Vaughn is distracted by other projects, so I vote this a double-thumbs down. Vaughn is becoming the 'tarded Finch among writers.
So...you hate Ex Machina. Meaning he's distracted by Y and Runaways?

John Q. Public said:
The fact that he's decided to join Card in creator-owned comix (check it out) is disturbing.

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/about.shtml
I don't see what the link has to do with anything, again. But since my brain's entirely asleep, what exactly do you mean by creator-owned comix?

Caduceus said:
So you don't think he writes good battle-banter. I fail to see how that means he's treating his fan club like morons.

Relevant how? Ex Machina is not, as I understand it, a basic superhero comic. Ultimate X-men is. An opinion of one should not be the opinion of the other automatically, because they aren't the same, nor are they meant to be the same.

So...you hate Ex Machina. Meaning he's distracted by Y and Runaways?

I don't see what the link has to do with anything, again. But since my brain's entirely asleep, what exactly do you mean by creator-owned comix?

Nothing. Disregard my post. I was just pissed off that the Giants lost in overtime today.

John Q. Public said:
Nothing. Disregard my post. I was just pissed off that the Giants lost in overtime today.
How about not voting if you didn't read any of it. Calling Vaughan fanboys stupid is a direct attack on me because I'm proud to say I'd read anything with his name on it.

Yeah, sucks the Giants lost. I was pissed. But that has nothing to do with comicbooks.

TheManWithoutFear said:
How about not voting if you didn't read any of it. Calling Vaughan fanboys stupid is a direct attack on me because I'm proud to say I'd read anything with his name on it.

Ditto. But I don't really care what John says, as he spends all his time talking out of his proverbial *** it seems.

Yeah, sucks the Giants lost. I was pissed. But that has nothing to do with comicbooks.

I like when the Giants lose. :)

Latest posts

Back