How would you rate ORSON SCOTT CARD'S Ultimate Iron-Man Mini

How would you rate OSC's Ultimate Iron-Man

• Total voters
Two stars, and that's being generous. Some of it was ok (I liked the characterizations of Obidiah, Jim and Tony), but it was the stupid sci-fi that was forced into the title that ruined the series. If he didn't have the absolutley nonsensical BRAIN BODY or the healing factor (Does Card know the difference between Wolverine and Iron Man?), I may have given it three stars.

Did anyone see the hardcover for the title? It looks exactly like his novels, which doesn't make a damn bit of sense. I don't even think Kubert is even mentioned on the cover, which is a shame since that was obviosuly the highlight of the book.

Last edited:
UIM #5 solit said:
The government discovers young Tony Stark and sees how valuable he can be to them. They want him to come be part of the Baxter Building think-tank. But what will they do if Tony refuses?
Who saw this happen? I didn't.

Lynx said:
Two stars, and that's being generous.

Hey, thats my line.

Some of it was ok (I liked the characterizations of Obidiah, Jim and Tony), but it was the stupid sci-fi that was forced into the title that ruined the series. If he didn't have the absolutley nonsensical BRAIN BODY or the healing factor (Does Card know the difference between Wolverine and Iron Man?), I may have given it three stars.

Did anyone see the hardcover for the title? It looks exactly like a hardcover version of his books. I don't even think Kubert isn't even mentioned on the cover, which is a shame.

That is a shame if its true. The artist is just as important as the writer in a comic book, as they're responsible for a large portion of the story-telling and emotional impact and responses of the characters.

icemastertron said:
Who saw this happen? I didn't.

The solicits are written months before. Often the script changes, and that differs to the solicit. The same thing happened for Y The Last Man.

You guys are still complaining about the healing factor and everything when they set up a very reasonable out for it, and for the brain cancer. What happens to a normal person who consumes too much alcohol? Liver Cancer. What happens to someone who's brian is distributed throughout his body who drinks too much alcohol? Brain Cancer. Part of the problem with cancer is that your body doesn't think something is wrong, and so it can't fix it. Its not like Tony has control over his healing factor, and so he can't make it cure his brain cancer. Anyway, I thought the story was fun and interesting, and that it did a lot to set up the Tony Stark we all know from Ultimates, not ruin him. 4/5

Shi_Vral said:
You guys are still complaining about the healing factor and everything when they set up a very reasonable out for it, and for the brain cancer. What happens to a normal person who consumes too much alcohol? Liver Cancer. What happens to someone who's brian is distributed throughout his body who drinks too much alcohol? Brain Cancer. Part of the problem with cancer is that your body doesn't think something is wrong, and so it can't fix it. Its not like Tony has control over his healing factor, and so he can't make it cure his brain cancer. Anyway, I thought the story was fun and interesting, and that it did a lot to set up the Tony Stark we all know from Ultimates, not ruin him. 4/5

I've never heard of alcoholism causing liver cancer. It ruins your liver, sure, but doesn't cause cancer.

I would think a healing factor would be useless against cancer. Doesn't a healing factor regrow lost tissue? Cancer is a growth. It wouldn't cut it away, surely? :?

Bass said:
I would think a healing factor would be useless against cancer. Doesn't a healing factor regrow lost tissue? Cancer is a growth. It wouldn't cut it away, surely? :?

I would assume that a healing factor *heals* and doesn't just regenerate tissue. If it can regenerate an arm I don't see why it couldn't generate tons of white blood cells.

I gave it 3/5. That's my score for UIM alone. My rating for it having seen who Tony Stark is supposed to become would be lower, but I tried to ignore that, since sometime in the next five issues I'm still hoping we see Tony Stark wake up in a cold sweat and say "What a dream! Brain body? WTF?"

What I liked:
- The art. It was good enough, and it seemed appropriate.
- The first and last issues, if you ignore certain things (see below)
- The "skin armour" and the regenerative origins (NOT on Tony stark, just thought it was cool to hear a new take on an old ability, as opposed to He's a mutant, we can make him do whatever we want)
- The lettering? ummmmm...I could easily make out all the words (after having such a hard time finding things I liked I kind of wish I voted 2/5)

What I thought was completely stupid:
- The ending. Anyone walking into a comic shop wouldn't know this is only half the story, until the last page of the last issue. Why did they split it up? why not just say it's a 10-issue mini? There was absolutley no conclusion to anything in the first five issues
- The Brain Body. Obviously. When he got his legs burnt off or his foot cut off, did he suddenly lose intelligence, or forget some things he knew, or lose some other functionality? No. It is an very complicated and silly way to explain something that could be explained by saying "He is a very smart guy."
- Regenerative abilities. Wouldn't this be mentioned to someone when he's joining a super-team to protect a country?
Fury: "This is Ironman. He's smart and has a cool suit. That is all"
Tony: "Hey, boss, what about the regeneration and skin armour?"
Fury: "Meh."
- Skin Armour. Shouldn't every soldier and superhero have this by now? They've had like 30 years to perfect it.

Basically, a sub-par story that is filled with wierd gimmicky plot elements that do nothing other than change it from a 6 issue mini to a ten issue one. I really hope the next five issues cancel out all the crap from the first five, even though it means we all wasted a lot of money and time for nothing.

PS - the alcohol thing? :noway:

I picked the "can't be bothered" option because I really haven't read much of it. Now, before all you UIM supporters get into a tizzy (did I just say tizzy?), you should know that the times I criticized UIM I was criticizing the brain body idea, which I found ridiculous and stupid. UIM could be beautifully written with a terrible plot, I don't know.

TheManWithoutFear said:
so people who voted the last two options, what are you gonna do when you do get around to reading it?
I don't think I will get around to reading it. I've got a whole, loooong list of tpbs that I've wanted to get for ages, and I'd rather spend my money on those than a mini that the majority of people on this site tell me is crap.

Latest posts

Back