Hulk: What works, and what doesn't work?

??? Huh? What dog? Hulk raped a dog?

Haven't you been on tv tropes? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralEventHorizon?from=Main.RapeTheDog

Rape the dog means when a character crosses a moral line that makes truly unlikable, like what Joker does all the time. Hulk did that, when he killed 800 people and engaged in cannibalism and Banner taking that formula and knowing that was possibility but did so anyway, because his girlfriend was cheating on him, well he crossed that line too.

Last edited:
Haven't you been on tv tropes? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralEventHorizon?from=Main.RapeTheDog

Rape the dog means when a character crosses a moral line that makes truly unlikable, like what Joker does all the time. Hulk did that, when he killed 800 people and engaged in cannibalism and Banner taking that formula and knowing that was possibility but did so anyway, because his girlfriend was cheating on him, well he crossed that line too.

OOOOOH...heh, No. Never been on tvtropes.

And here I was thinking I had somehow missed an actual "dog rape" scene. I was sure it had to be in Ult Hulk Annual. See how far Loeb has lowered my expectations? :lol::lol::lol:

But come on. Since when is killing 800 people and engaging in cannibalism so bad? Those people most likely had it coming.

Last edited:
OOOOOH...heh, No. Never been on tvtropes.

And here I was thinking I had somehow missed an actual "dog rape" scene. I was sure it had to be in Ult Hulk Annual. See how far Loeb has lowered my expectations? :lol::lol::lol:

But come on. Since when is killing 800 people and engaging in cannibalism so bad? Those people most likely had it coming.

How so? In vol 2 of Ultimates they showed the victims families morning their losses, really it just hammered home what tragic event it was, it certainly didn't make you feel sorry for the Hulk.

Last edited:
I never liked the whole 'And the Avengers battle Hulk in an abandoned town' story anyway. This was a Hulk rampage that actually had an impact...not really in the story but it set a mood and atmosphere that lent a great strength to the Ultimates.

And the 'screw the dog' thing? I've read too many comics to believe in that. Seen too many tv shows to believe it too. Look at the nasty things Angel and Spike did in Buffy and tell me you wrote the characters off based on those events.

How so? In vol 2 of Ultimates they showed the victims families morning their losses, really it just hammered home what tragic event it was, it certainly didn't make you feel sorry for the Hulk.

It was a joke.

Probably not in good taste but I will take my chances offending comic families who lost comic loved ones. :twisted:

But actually when they showed Hulk chasing after Betty on the copter and he is screaming for Betty not to leave Banner etc, that moment does actually evoke a certain amount of pity for Banner. Granted, not a lot, but you at least get a sense of how desperate and pathetic he is that he would do this to himself. Yes, he is a slimy, sweaty little man who is unlikable. But that plays into his pitiful existence.

I never liked the whole 'And the Avengers battle Hulk in an abandoned town' story anyway. This was a Hulk rampage that actually had an impact...not really in the story but it set a mood and atmosphere that lent a great strength to the Ultimates.

Me either. I always thought it was silly that Hulk would rampage through downtown or there would be a huge battle in the middle NYC and no civilians would get hurt.

What Ultimates did was lend a feeling of realism to the superhero battle in the heart of manhattan.

I'll tell you what doesn't work... Jeph Loeb writing Hulk. It's retarded. I see this, I'm sure most of you see this, but according to the latest issue of Wizard, it's at the top of the sales charts. Now, I'm wondering if this is because some people had Hulk on their pull lists during World War Hulk and just forgot to take them off. That's the case for me, but I quickly put a halt to that after the second Loeb issue. Of course, I still get Incredible Herc, formerly Incredible Hulk... so it's confusing, but at the same time I guess the guys who pull the books at my LCS figure if I was reading Hulk comics before that I'd want to keep reading Hulk comics. AND I DO. Just not Loeb's Hulk comics. DO NOT WANT.

What works for the Hulk in my opinion all depends on the creative team. Ultimate Hulk is a big yes, and Millar is probably one of the only writers out there with the balls to make Hulk more of a villain than a hero. Banner has more hero qualities than the Hulk, and you can easily separate the two, at least until we see the completion of the Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine story (coming soon! in 2015!) and then Banner will have some sort of control, as he apparently did at the end of Ultimates 2.

Ultimate Hulk aside, I like Bruce on the road trying to avoid becoming the Hulk and I like that particular type of Hulk as drawn by JRJR. I really enjoyed his work on the series when he was working with Paul Jenkins and Bruce Jones. It was far different from most Hulk stories, too, but I always liked Peter David's Hulk stories. Some of them fell flat, but he tried a lot of new and different things with the character and some of them were a lot of fun.

No matter what kind of Hulk I'm reading, I do like lots of SMASH. As long as it's not retarded Red Hulk-infused smash. That's like Diet Soda, and I hate Diet Soda.

But yeah, as long as Loeb's not writing it, I'd probably read it.

Latest posts

Back