I Am Legend (Spoilers)

Just got back from the showing. My thoughts

First and foremost, Will Smith MADE this movie. It might be the best performance of his career and I think the way he portrayed his character was spot on. I really felt for him, be it his interaction with the dog and the mannequins (the scene with Fred on the bridge might have been my favorite of the film) or the grief and despair he shows later on. I also think Will allowed for just the right amount of insanity in his character, showing that it WAS there and wanted to come out, but because of his work and personality, he was able to keep it restrained. In fact, as an apocalyptic character study the movie was terrific.

As a horror/action movie, it was great as well. The scene where Neville is going to save Sam in the building was one of the most intense scenes I've seen in a movie in a long time.

As an adaptation of one of my favorite books, it falls short. First, the situation is too different. I'm not complaining about it being set in New York, I was all for that change in fact. It gave a VERY eerie feel that I don't think Los Angeles or a suburban setting would have given. It's just the generic "infected" could have been made a little more unique, I think. I also wasn't too big of a fan of other survivors, but I understand the need of why it happened.

The ending was the only thing that disappointed on both fronts. First off, it wasn't the ending of the book which is, in my opinion, one of the most epic endings to a story ever written. It's the kind of ending that just resounds through you. However, I knew that ending wasn't going to make it to the screen, so I resigned myself too it long ago.

The problem being, the ending they did use was too conventional and Hollywood. I mean, I'm all for the phyrric victory, but I just couldn't get behind the survivors. It was too much like the ending of 28 Days Later and I wanted something else.

However, besides my complaints about the ending, it was terrific movie in the SPIRIT of the book. Hell, they even managed to work in Ben Cortman in a way (with the one dark stalker that was more intelligent than the rest). On it's own, it was just a good post-apocalyptic thriller. As an acting tour de force, Smith deserves at least some awards nominations. Overall, I was really impressed by a film that I thought was going to disappoint me horribly.

4.5/5

Just got back from the showing. My thoughts

First and foremost, Will Smith MADE this movie. It might be the best performance of his career and I think the way he portrayed his character was spot on. I really felt for him, be it his interaction with the dog and the mannequins (the scene with Fred on the bridge might have been my favorite of the film) or the grief and despair he shows later on. I also think Will allowed for just the right amount of insanity in his character, showing that it WAS there and wanted to come out, but because of his work and personality, he was able to keep it restrained. In fact, as an apocalyptic character study the movie was terrific.

As a horror/action movie, it was great as well. The scene where Neville is going to save Sam in the building was one of the most intense scenes I've seen in a movie in a long time.

As an adaptation of one of my favorite books, it falls short. First, the situation is too different. I'm not complaining about it being set in New York, I was all for that change in fact. It gave a VERY eerie feel that I don't think Los Angeles or a suburban setting would have given. It's just the generic "infected" could have been made a little more unique, I think. I also wasn't too big of a fan of other survivors, but I understand the need of why it happened.

The ending was the only thing that disappointed on both fronts. First off, it wasn't the ending of the book which is, in my opinion, one of the most epic endings to a story ever written. It's the kind of ending that just resounds through you. However, I knew that ending wasn't going to make it to the screen, so I resigned myself too it long ago.

The problem being, the ending they did use was too conventional and Hollywood. I mean, I'm all for the phyrric victory, but I just couldn't get behind the survivors. It was too much like the ending of 28 Days Later and I wanted something else.

However, besides my complaints about the ending, it was terrific movie in the SPIRIT of the book. Hell, they even managed to work in Ben Cortman in a way (with the one dark stalker that was more intelligent than the rest). On it's own, it was just a good post-apocalyptic thriller. As an acting tour de force, Smith deserves at least some awards nominations. Overall, I was really impressed by a film that I thought was going to disappoint me horribly.

4.5/5

My thoughts exactly.

Will Smith made the movie. When I try to think about other actors in Hollywood that have the presence and charisma to carry a film by themselves....I fall short. I think given the circumstance and "version" of the story---he nailed the character.

I think aside from the ending....my biggest complaint was the CGI. It wasn't bad......but it was just horribly obvious and could've been done a lot better.

4/5

I saw this the other day and enjoyed it. I thought the ending seemed kind of different though. Like it was part of another movie.

Now I'm reading the book... this is way better than the movie. In fact, they feel like two completely different stories. I wish the movie had Johnny Depp playing Ben Cortman. He's so creepy.

Well I just got back from seeing this with a few friends. I thought it was pretty good. And I got to agree with VVD, Will Smith was a great pick for this film.

Did anyone else get this on DVD???

I got the two disc. set. I haven't watched the Alternate Theatrical Version yet, or most of the Special features. I did how ever watched the Comic Animation videos, their about other servivors. The First two were dark as hell. The last two were kinda mem... to me. And of cource the last one was written by Orson Scott Card.

1.Death As A Gift :
Directed: Ian Kirby
Illustration: Jason Chan
Story: Dawn Thomas

2. Isolation:
Directed: Brooke Burgess
Illustration: David Levy
Story: Mark Protosench
Edited: Ian Kirby

3. Sacrifcing The Few For The Many:
Directed: Brooke Burgess
Illustration: Jason Chan
Story: Dawn Thomas

4. Shelter:
Directed: Ian Kirby
Illustration: Andrew West
Story: Orson Scott Card

Last edited:
There are reports that Warner Brothers is interested in developing a sequel --- with no reported details, director, stars or direction in mind --- which have gone so far as to culminate in an imdb page for an "I Am Legend 2"

Take note that an imdb page for a film in development is not, in any way, a measure of guarantee that a film gets made.

I got this free on bluray with my ps3 and still not watched it. When I put disc in I get an option "theatrical version" or "Alternate Ending." My question if anyones seen either is one is better?

I still want to know who the hell randomly keeps a grenade in their desk drawer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mole hasn't watched it yet. I was trying to be nice.

If you're now ordaining being mean to Mole, well, I can't control what you tell people.

Mole hasn't watched it yet. I was trying to be nice.

If you're now ordaining being mean to Mole, well, I can't control what you tell people.
Hey, he's walking into a thread talking about the movie. If he wants to walk into a mine field, who are we stop him? :D

I watched it just now. Not as good as I had hoped but hey it was free I can't complain. It was an ok film. Seen better seen worse.

One question, Was it based on a true story? :p

Latest posts

Back