IDW's Transformers Discussion (SPOILERS)

RID #33 was a nice quiet issue. It was all completely setup for Combiner Wars, but it was great getting to see a continuation of the Windblade miniseries (which was a continuation of RID anyway so it's gone full circle) and have it tie into last arc. Also Combiner Wars is going to be nuts!

Well, feminazis, obviously. ;)

I've been calling them misandrists and Tumblr users for so long I forgot the feminazi was a term lol

Also, it's millions of years, not billions, you n00b. 4 million years to be exact!

In one of the continuities it's billions. There are so many of them D:

Anyway, so I've read the first two arcs of both MtMtE and RiD. It's a major improvement over ALL the previous stuff.

MtMtE is a cool space opera adventure with decent humor throughout. Looking forward to seeing how that continues.

RiD is far more serious in tone, but also interesting. I like the political machinations and the challenge of rebuilding their society and infrastructure, all compounded by the three factions (Autobots, Decepticons, and Nails).

Each issue is pretty packed with story and dialogue, as well. These 22 page books take almost twice as long to read as your average comic, and that's a really good thing. I also like that there seems to be a generally smaller main cast in each book. Makes keeping track of who is who a lot easier.

I like that they have the two different titles with very different tones. Kind of bummed that they're going to end that and go back to a single title with various mini-series.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the Spotlights or mini-series overall. They just break the flow of the overall story and seem tacked on and largely unnecessary. Hoping some of the newer mini-series improve on that.

But yeah, I do see what you were saying, wyo. The two ongoings are a major improvement over the earlier stuff. It was admittedly quite a chore getting through the first 6 years worth of material to get to the current stuff, but glad I did since it helps explain a lot of the motivations of the characters and previous events that even the modern stories are built on.

YAY! :D

Good news then, they're going to THREE on-goings (Windblade, The Transformers, and More Than Meets the Eye) and a miniseries now and then (and possibly a spotlight here and there). I think after the next Drift miniseries we'll finally get Transformers: Punishment in print. I was REALLY close to upgrading to Windows 8 so I could read it. Thankfully I realized the repercussions to that.

I'm finding that Furman's stuff has a lot of cool ideas (I absolutely loved what he did with Headmasters (Hunter transforming into Sunstreaker's head) and it was cool seeing Beast Wars stuff bleed into G1) but it's really poorly written otherwise. You get broad character traits instead of really getting into who the character is (human and Cybertronian) and that really hurts it.

I hadn't heard about Transformers Punishment. Just read up on it and it does take place in IDW's continuity.

Also, don't think you need Windows 8 to read it. You can download it through the Madefire app on iOS, I think.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw its exclusive to Windows 8. I hate when they do that. Hopefully they'll release a print version later on.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about Transformers Punishment. Just read up on it and it does take place in IDW's continuity.

Yeah, due to story events it either has to happen right before or after Combiner Wars so I'd imagine we'll see it around then.

Also, don't think you need Windows 8 to read it. You can download it through the Madefire app on iOS, I think.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw its exclusive to Windows 8. I hate when they do that. Hopefully they'll release a print version later on.

It's supposed to be getting released in print and in other digital formats in the future. I would have upgraded my laptop but then I learned you have to buy Windows 8 (I don't know how I forgot you have to buy the thing) and it was +$100. +$100 just to read a free digital comic AND I'd have to use Windows 8. No thank you.

Just got a notice on my phone that Madefire have a new TF comic called "Cybertron - Before the War". Think that's what it's called, anyway. But I checked the Madefire app and don't see anything but IDW's Autocracy, Monstrosity, RiD, and MtMtE.

Yeah, I just saw it on my phone too. It was just an ad for Autocracy. I think they're giving it away free or something. Where you at in RID and MTMTE?

Yeah, I just saw it on my phone too. It was just an ad for Autocracy. I think they're giving it away free or something. Where you at in RID and MTMTE?

Ah, ok. I got all excited thinking it was a new series.

I've still only read through the second arcs of RiD and MtMtE. I'll knock out another arc or two on Wednesday (that's my comic reading day) after I read all the new releases. I'm trying to space it out a bit so I can read a complete arc or two over the next month while I wait on Primacy to finish releasing (none of which I've read yet, going to read that in one go).

Ah, ok. I got all excited thinking it was a new series.

Ah! See! You're digging Transformers!

I've still only read through the second arcs of RiD and MtMtE. I'll knock out another arc or two on Wednesday (that's my comic reading day) after I read all the new releases. I'm trying to space it out a bit so I can read a complete arc or two over the next month while I wait on Primacy to finish releasing (none of which I've read yet, going to read that in one go).

I'm really stoked for you to get to Remain in Light which starts in MTMTE #17. It's the arc that was nominated for a True Believer award. It's absolutely nuts! BEWARE THE BRIEFCASE!

Ah! See! You're digging Transformers!

Well, I wouldn't say that, but now that I've read as much as I have I've developed a completist mindset for it, as I do with most things I read/watch. Total OCD.

It's still not my cup of tea and never will be, but MtMtE and RiD I'm enjoying a lot more. The writing is much sharper, for one, and the fact that it's no longer set on Earth just sheds a lot of the hokier aspects that the early stuff had. Then again, it's more than that, since I didn't really like Autocracy, Monstrosity, etc, or any of Spotlights that were set pre-war.

Think it mainly has to do with the better writing. Works a lot better.

I'm really stoked for you to get to Remain in Light which starts in MTMTE #17. It's the arc that was nominated for a True Believer award. It's absolutely nuts! BEWARE THE BRIEFCASE!

Is that where you got that from? Is that some IDW Transformers reference akin to "Hail Hydra"? Guess I'll find out soon.

Well, I wouldn't say that, but now that I've read as much as I have I've developed a completist mindset for it, as I do with most things I read/watch. Total OCD.

It's still not my cup of tea and never will be, but MtMtE and RiD I'm enjoying a lot more. The writing is much sharper, for one, and the fact that it's no longer set on Earth just sheds a lot of the hokier aspects that the early stuff had. Then again, it's more than that, since I didn't really like Autocracy, Monstrosity, etc, or any of Spotlights that were set pre-war.

Think it mainly has to do with the better writing. Works a lot better.

Just wait. MTMTE gets better and better as it gets into some HEAVY sci-fi, horror, and some really emotional stuff. The current RID arc is on Earth and I was SO not looking forward to that but Barber has just done a terrific job. I think I said it before but Dark Cybertron ties up almost every single one of Furman's plots. It's not that great but it feels so good to have that all taken care of. I don't even care that much about Autocracy, Monstrosity, and Primacy. Too G1 for my taste. A lot of the older IDW stuff is pretty bad. I'm not sure why everyone loves Furman so much. I know he wrote some good comics in the past but all of his recent stuff (especially ReGeneration 1) has been just bad.

Is that where you got that from? Is that some IDW Transformers reference akin to "Hail Hydra"? Guess I'll find out soon.

It's a MTMTE thing. It was in the first issue (and Bullets) and it won't get opened until your past issue #30 and when it does it's amazing and totally went over my head until I read it again. Roberts is really good at subtlety.

Caught up on the last three months worth of issues except for The Transformers. Will get that done after work.

More Than Meets The Eye - The reveal that
Brainstorm is a time traveling Decepticon hell bent on killing Orion Pax to prevent the war from starting
absolutely blew my mind. Based on the first part Elegant Chaos should be pretty damn good. DIrishB you enjoying all the timeline stuff?

Drift: Empire of Stone - This is just okay. It's a bit shaky but I am curious to where this goes. Making Gigatron his own character is awesome too. It's not bad, just not up there with TT and MTMTE.

Primacy - This was pretty meh. Just felt like an older miniseries recapturing the 80s cartoon. I do hope that reference the Quintessons goes somewhere though.

I'm behind on the main books and am waiting for Combiner Wars to be over so I can storm through it all, but I just read the FCBD issue. I've been pretty lukewarm on the new Robots In Disguise cartoon. Prime was so great, emotionally driven, wasn't afraid to go to really dark and depressing places, and used so much of the Transformers lore that I can't help to be disappointed by what's basically the misadventures of Bumblebee and his new friends. It's light hearted, humorous, but it's also really fluffy and nothing feels important.

Then I read the FCBD comic. It felt JUST like the show which was cool and unfortunate, but then it gets to the final page and
it's Ultra Magnus, Bulkhead, and Arcee spying on them talking about how they had a plan and Bumblebee and his friends might have to be taken out.

So yeah, not really liking the show, but the comic has me very interested.

Last edited:
Finally caught up. Pre and post-Combiner Wars was good for the main book, but Combiner Wars and Windblade both sucked. I blame Mairghread Scott who wrote some good episodes of Transformers Prime, but her work her just wasn't good. More Than Meets the Eye was perfect as always

MTMTE%201_zpssujaphh9.jpg

MTMTE%202_zpsqbuxb6no.jpg

Latest posts

Back