IDW's Transformers Discussion (SPOILERS)

Ugh. Why in God's name would you read it in publication order instead of chronologically? That's just like spitting in Father Time's face.

;)

I'm an atheist. I've already spat in God's face, why not Father Time's as well :p

As meh as Infiltration is the references to pop culture and Transformers are cracking me up. It may not be great but man is it entertaining me.

What I love about RID and MTMTE so much is that after 28 years of cartoons and comics all rehashing Optimus versus Megatron they're FINALLY moving away from that. The war is over, there are new leaders, new stories, and things that haven't really been explored in the franchise (like romance (including the first gay romance)). That's also why I'm so excited for the upcoming Robots in Disguise cartoon (especially since the last RID cartoon Is so bleh).

What I love about RID and MTMTE so much is that after 28 years of cartoons and comics all rehashing Optimus versus Megatron they're FINALLY moving away from that. The war is over, there are new leaders, new stories, and things that haven't really been explored in the franchise (like romance (including the first gay romance)). That's also why I'm so excited for the upcoming Robots in Disguise cartoon (especially since the last RID cartoon Is so bleh).

Gay robots? That sounds like the plot of the penultimate Japanese hentai.

November solicitations (SPOILERS)

Transformers: Primacy #4 (of 4)
Chris Metzen & Flint Dille (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a & c)
END OF THE ROAD! The final secrets of war for CYBERTRON are revealed! Everything has been leading to this—war has engulfed OPTIMUS PRIME'S world, and MEGATRON stands on the verge of triumph! But can any survive the battle of the titans?!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Transformers: Primacy #4 (of 4)—Subscription Variant
Chris Metzen & Flint Dille (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a) • Sarah Stone (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• The explosive conclusion!
• 30th Anniversary Variant cover by Andrew Griffith!

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35: Days of Deception
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
Days of Deception begins with… PEACE AND HAPPINESS! To be honest, there's not much we can say about this issue without giving away the life-changing events of last issue. What we can say is this: everything's fine. There's no conflict, no sadness, no angst. Why is this a problem?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #35—Subscription Variant
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a) • Nick Roche (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• HOW FAR IS TOO FAR?
• The fires of change drag CYBERTRON's darkest secrets to light. Heroes become villains, enemies become allies, life becomes death… and history's revelations may tear the AUTOBOTS apart.

Transformers #35: Days of Deception
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a & c)
Days of Deception begins! PROWL and the CONSTRUCTICONS hunt the world's deadliest game—three humans with a history of fighting CYBERTRONIANS! Lines are drawn as human and machine alike are drawn into—the ONYX INTERFACE!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Transformers #35: Days of Deception—Subscription Variant
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a) • Casey W. Coller (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• One human knows the truth of CYBERTRON's first encounter with Earth… but will his ancient enigma mean war for the AUTOBOTS?

Transformers: Drift: Empire of Stone #1 (of 4)
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Alex Milne (c)
DRIFT RETURNS! Last year, TRANSFORMERS readers were shocked when DRIFT left the AUTOBOTS in disgrace… and now he's alone, on a mission to clean up the darkest depths of the galaxy—until RATCHET shows up to try to bring him home!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Transformers: Drift: Empire of Stone #1 (of 4)—Blank Sketch Special Order Variant
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Blank Sketch Variant (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• The creative team behind the classic—and best-selling—All Hail Megatron return to the character they introduced!
• Ties directly in to the ongoing MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE series!
• The fan-favorite character from the big screen returns to where he started—the comics page!
• Artist's Edition Variant cover by Guido Guidi!

Angry Birds/Transformers #1 (of 4)
John Barber (w) • Marcelo Ferreira & Livio Ramondelli (a) • Marcelo Ferreira (c)
You got TRANSFORMERS in my Angry Birds! No, you got Angry Birds in my TRANSFORMERS! ERGH, OOF, MPPHH!!! Hey! Waitaminit! This is actually pretty great! That's right, comic lovers, two of your favorite IDW comics have morphed into one amazing new comic! When the TRANSFORMERS lose their powerful ALLSPARK, it ends up on Piggie Island and the world of Angry Birds turns robotic! Prepare to meet… the AUTOBIRDS and DECEPTIHOGS!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Angry Birds/Transformers #1 (of 4)—Subscription Variant
John Barber (w) • Marcelo Ferreira & Livio Ramondelli (a) • Ramondelli (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• Angry Birds Transformers is the premiere Rovio game launch of 2014. Available for all mobile platforms on October 15th!
• Written by John Barber! (TRANSFORMERS, TRANSFORMERS vs G.I. JOE)
• Special TRANSFORMERS Guest Artist Livio Ramondelli provides a "framing" story in the TRANSFORMERS style!
• Variant Cover by Jorge Pachecho!

Looks like RID dropped it's subtitle already. I like that the next miniseries starts right after Primacy ends. I imagine after that Combiner Wars should be in the solicitations. It also appears Transformers vs G.I. Joe has been cancelled. No confirmation though.

Last edited:
RID #32 was awsomesauce as usual. Just when I think I've figured out the direction it was going in it turns everything on it's head. Lots of awesome reveals for the future. Fantastic issue.

Forgot to post this. Takes place before Last Stand of the Wreckers and is the only canon Mosaic.

Dead_Men__s_Boots_by_Transformers_Mosaic.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to post this. Takes place before Last Stand of the Wreckers and is the only canon Mosaic.

Is that confirmed as canon? I ask only because every other Mosaic is non-canon.

Also, I'm posting wyo's and my PM conversation about the TF series here, since it applies:

wyokid said:
Oh! You've started Chaos and Police Action! You're so freaking close to MTMTE and RID. You're finally going to see what I recommended from the start! :D So when Drift was introduced he was the first character to be created in the comics and the fans hated him. They thought he was just a fan created (the fan being the writer Shane McCarthy) Mary Sue. Personally I never saw it, but was wondering what you thought about him. Also Transformers: Prime won two more Daytime Emmys.

I just find Drift to be a pretty standard, everything wrong with 90's comics cliche. He's the troubled anti-hero trying to overcome his past as a Decepticon. He's pretty bland and uninteresting as a character; and he uses a frigging sword when everyone else has blasters. Also, the overwhelming samurai influence is pretty stupid. He's an alien robot, for Christ's sake!

I'm not a fan. It's interesting they used him in the recent Age of Extinction film, but it's not surprising, given the character is a perfect example of the shallow, prepubescent appeal of those films. Of course they'd use the ninja Transformer.

MTMTE #32 was so unsettling. Roberts is really good at getting a really creepy tone. The final page sent shivers down my spine.

Is that confirmed as canon? I ask only because every other Mosaic is non-canon.

Yeah, it showed up unexpectedly in the trade without a disclaimer so yeah, it's canon. There was another Mosaic that Simon Furman tried to make canon but IDW confirmed it wasn't which makes Dead Men's Boots the only canon Mosaic. The Mosaics are fun though. There's one that crosses over with Doctor Who lol

Also, I'm posting wyo's and my PM conversation about the TF series here, since it applies:
I just find Drift to be a pretty standard, everything wrong with 90's comics cliche. He's the troubled anti-hero trying to overcome his past as a Decepticon. He's pretty bland and uninteresting as a character; and he uses a frigging sword when everyone else has blasters. Also, the overwhelming samurai influence is pretty stupid. He's an alien robot, for Christ's sake!

I'm not a fan. It's interesting they used him in the recent Age of Extinction film, but it's not surprising, given the character is a perfect example of the shallow, prepubescent appeal of those films. Of course they'd use the ninja Transformer.

Hmm. Interesting. I never really thought about it like that. They already have dinosaur robots and ninja characters aren't uncommon in Transformers so I just went along with it. Also a lot of Transformers embrace Earth culture (Wreck-Gar in the original cartoon being a perfect example of this (his whole home planet received junk TV and all they do is quote it all the time)) but I can't remember if that's what Drift did. I want your opinion of him again when you're caught up completely. James Roberts does a lot of work with him. There's another miniseries for him coming up after Primacy which follows up on a pretty shocking moment in MTMTE.

[video=youtube_share;7lL_rOz2DUY]http://youtu.be/7lL_rOz2DUY[/video]

Last edited:
TBM

Not everything TF is good IDW is one of those

You clearly need to read More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. Best comics I'm reading. Especially MTMTE. ****'ll bring the feels yo. Unless you're homophobic, mysoginistic, or one of those Transfans who thinks alien robots should be genderless.

the Cybertron videogame series and Prime are great

ALIGNED CONTINUITY FTW!

Last edited:
You clearly need to read More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. Best comics I'm reading. Especially MTMTE. ****'ll bring the feels yo. Unless you're homophobic, mysoginistic, or one of those Transfans who thinks alien robots should be genderless. ALIGNED CONTINUITY FTW!

You clearly need to branch out more. Unless MtMtE and RiD are a major improvement over the earlier stuff in the IDW TF line, classifying them as "the best comics you're reading" is, well, tragic.

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Discussion (SPOILERS)

You clearly need to branch out more. Unless MtMtE and RiD are a major improvement over the earlier stuff in the IDW TF line, classifying them as "the best comics you're reading" is, well, tragic.

5b051589.jpg

You clearly need to read More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise. Best comics I'm reading. Especially MTMTE. ****'ll bring the feels yo. Unless you're homophobic, mysoginistic, or one of those Transfans who thinks alien robots should be genderless.

Read was not impressed. My favourite TF comics are the old UK ones. The ones that were so good the usa ones reprinted them and tried to duplicate.

Read was not impressed. My favourite TF comics are the old UK ones. The ones that were so good the usa ones reprinted them and tried to duplicate.

Ah. See, I'm one of those weird fans who is tired of Megatron vs Optimus so I never bothered with the old comics. Only reason I read IDW's is because I was already reading them from when the line started. I love that MTMTE and RID moved away from that and is telling new stories other than Megs bashes Prime and vice versa. I also love the horror, politics, romance, humor, and how both books are fueled more by the characters rather than the story. I also like the Aligned continuity is moving in that same direction.

I also find it hilarious that we keep jumping off topic rather than talk about this awful film lol

Last edited:

Well when the movie is unfocused and lacking in a coherent plot. Off-topic becomes the most on-topic you can be!

It's frigging Transformers, no matter how "good" it is in your mind, I promise you, it pales in comparison, and vastly so even without having gotten to those issues yet, to the better alternatives out there currently.

On that not, I have read it's predecessors, and I'm still waiting to be dazzled. I'm also still waiting for you to explain exactly what is so good about the two ongoings and how it improves on the earlier stuff that was so mediocre-at-best.

Ah. See, I'm one of those weird fans who is tired of Megatron vs Optimus so I never bothered with the old comics.

*raises hand*

Seriously, even as not a fan of the old stuff, I was tired of that as a noobie.

Only reason I read IDW's is because I was already reading them from when the line started. I love that MTMTE and RID moved away from that and is telling new stories other than Megs bashes Prime and vice versa. I also love the horror, politics, romance, humor, and how both books are fueled more by the characters rather than the story. I also like the Aligned continuity is moving in that same direction. I also find it hilarious that we keep jumping off topic rather than talk about this awful film lol[/QUOTE]

I'm still mystified and desperate to find anything worthwhile about any of it as I slowly catch up to MtMtE and RiD...

It's frigging Transformers, no matter how "good" it is in your mind, I promise you, it pales in comparison, and vastly so even without having gotten to those issues yet, to the better alternatives out there currently.

More Than Meets the Eye was nominated for three True Believer (formally known as Eagle) awards: Favorite American Comicbook: Colour, Favorite Single Story (#13), and Favorite Continued Story (Remain in Light). It lost to Saga, Hawkeye #11, and Saga again.

On that not, I have read it's predecessors, and I'm still waiting to be dazzled. I'm also still waiting for you to explain exactly what is so good about the two ongoings and how it improves on the earlier stuff that was so mediocre-at-best.

I am not saying much about them because they're spoilers and I don't want to ruin great moments.

I'm still mystified and desperate to find anything worthwhile about any of it as I slowly catch up to MtMtE and RiD...

More-Than-Meets-The-Eye-01-660x412.jpg

Last edited:
More Than Meets the Eye was nominated for three True Believer (formally known as Eagle) awards: Favorite American Comicbook: Colour, Favorite Single Story (#13), and Favorite Continued Story (Remain in Light). It lost to Saga, Hawkeye #11, and Saga again.

Doesn't that tell you that you should be reading Saga instead? Or at least in addition?

I am not saying much about them because they're spoilers and I don't want to ruin great moments.

Ok. That panel you posted was good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back