If Ultimate Hope existed...

jtg3885 said:
I have no desire to read part of a storyline that started back when my mother was going into high school.

Your loss.

XTFLyons said:
but these guys wouldn't even be written about if there were no powers...

That's not my naffin' argument.

I wanna know how these characters would benefit/lose out if they had their powers taken away!!! How many more times!!! :wink:

Well, I think that it would be different for them, first of all... :), LS, don't you think that's sort of a silly question to be asking? I mean, I don't even think that there powers are that big a deal. It's all in material to being a mutant, really.

Always wonderful having you provoke...discussion jtg. Just quickly. Powerless is a mini. Set in an alternate universe. No old plots there. Whedon has been good about not needing to have much or any knowledge of characters for Astonishing. You need to know about three things (Scotts with Emma not Jean, Kitty and Piotr had a thing, thats about it) so no outdated plots there

On the actual topic, how do you think it would affect (Ultimate) Xavier and Magneto is they took the cure???

A lot of their influence stems from how they lead factions of MUTANTS capable of influencing events and views through actions. If they were forced to rely on words then how do you think that would affect the characters???

Well, I see what you're saying with Xavier and Magneto... If they were to lose hope then the X-Men would most likely crumble. It would be interesting to see what would happen... I'm actually planning a big thing that's similar to this in my fan fic.

But would you say that Xavier and Magneto's appeal and usefullness as characters stems from their mutancy?

For all Mags is a mutant, he is still a powerful orator and someone that backed up by their convictions is still quite capable of influencing world events.

I've seen this speculation with almost any fandom. Would Neo be as important if he wasn't The One? Would Buffy be as important if she wasn't the Slayer? Harry Potter important without the wand? The fact of the matter is that when push comes to shove, these characters (and most of Marvel's characters) are important BECAUSE they're abnormal. If you take away that, then duhh, of course they won't be as important. Who'd want to read about Wolverine the County File Clerk?
*Raises hand*

Latest posts

Back