IGN Exclusive look at Ultmates Vol. 3.

I just ****ing love Mad, his art is great!

But this is not Ultimates... this is what would like if the UU and the 616 Marvel got drunk one night and had a bastard child. The only thing missing are a couple of pouches, more big guns, Cable and Mullets.

Umm...

I think this looks awesome.

I wasn't into Millar. Had nothing against the Ultimates, just not a Millar fan. I'm looking at Vol. 3 as a good point to jump onto. The characters look cool enough and the villains should look even more badass so... Should be tight.

So here's my 2 yen......

I kinda like it. The art at least. It's big-cheesy-pin up fun.

As far as the story goes....I'm really trying to be optimistic. I like a lot of Loeb's stuff. There's some stuff out there from him that is just bad. But there's a lot of stuff that's good as well.

And as far as the change in tone, I'm cool with it. To be honest, I'm kinda burnt out on the "superhero politics" theme nowadays. I read enough stuff with actual good character development, indie art, heavier-toned themes. Sometimes I just want a book where the heroes don't have to worry about the political or social consequences of their actions. They see the bad guy....they punch the bad guy. Boom. Done. Sometimes you need books like that in your collection to remind you of the black-and-white fun superhero comics used to be.

So yeah. I'm optimistic.....but I'm not expecting too much outta this.

See now I'm all for that, but in a book thats based around that concept, not a book thats already got an identity of a Widescreen Action comic with Politcal overtones. I read Invincible and JSA for my old fashioned superhero throwdowns.

See now I'm all for that, but in a book thats based around that concept, not a book thats already got an identity of a Widescreen Action comic with Politcal overtones.

But that's the thing....when it was created, Ultimates was a govt/military backed organization created for the protection against superpowers in America.

In Millar's final issue, he set things up for Loeb to take the team and book away from that. No more govt backing.....funded by Stark. No more protecting just America....protect the world.

So I can see how a lot of people are upset that the book is moving away from that tone...but that's just the way the story is progressing.

Last edited:
But that's the thing....when it was created, Ultimates was a govt/military backed organization created for the protection against superpowers in America.
In Millar's final issue, he set things up for Loeb to take the team and book away from that. No more govt backing.....funded by Stark. No more protecting just America....protect the world.

So I can see how a lot of people are upset that the book is moving away from that tone...but that's just the way the story is progressing.

See now I haven't read the last issue. So now its Captain Sparks and the Ulti-thority?

See now I haven't read the last issue. So now its Captain Sparks and the Ulti-thority?

Aw damn. My bad. I went back and editted my post to cover the spoilers for those who haven't read it yet. Do me a favor and change my quote in your sig to cover that up for others.

Thanks.

But yeah...it'll all make sense once you read the last issue.

Oh no... I'm not looking forward to this. The art looks pretty nice but I don't like where the story is heading.

Where IS the story going, though? Sure they are a team seperate of SHIELD, very unlike what we've been used to in the past, but what changes? Where are they going from here? We have no way of knowing from this cover.

I'm excited for this but I'm also scared of this. As the rest of the Ultimate Universe's titles are getting better, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Vision; I think that this can also be good. I like Mad's art, but it would have been terrible for Vol. 1 & 2. But this is Vo. 3, Loeb is making a point to turn the Ultimates into the Avengers. I liked Loeb's Batman and I liked his Superman/Batman, I have faith that he wants to keep this title great. But Loeb can get in over his head sometimes and turn a good idea into a mess. I think I'll like this mostly for the reason that I love the big superheroe-y books, which the Ultimate Universe needs right now. You have teenage angst in Spider-Man, outlandish science fiction in FF and political intrique and building plots in X-Men. I'm fine with super hero Ultimates.

I'm excited for this but I'm also scared of this. As the rest of the Ultimate Universe's titles are getting better, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Vision; I think that this can also be good. I like Mad's art, but it would have been terrible for Vol. 1 & 2. But this is Vo. 3, Loeb is making a point to turn the Ultimates into the Avengers. I liked Loeb's Batman and I liked his Superman/Batman, I have faith that he wants to keep this title great. But Loeb can get in over his head sometimes and turn a good idea into a mess. I think I'll like this mostly for the reason that I love the big superheroe-y books, which the Ultimate Universe needs right now. You have teenage angst in Spider-Man, outlandish science fiction in FF and political intrique and building plots in X-Men. I'm fine with super hero Ultimates.

This is a pretty realistic and open-minded post - Ultimates 1 and 2 were classics to me... and the reason I joined this site. To try something similar would be to fall short. SO - I am glad that the tone and direction are different. That being said, I too am anxious (well, as much as I would get over a comic :) ). Anyway, thanks for this post, bluebeast.

This is a pretty realistic and open-minded post - Ultimates 1 and 2 were classics to me... and the reason I joined this site. To try something similar would be to fall short. SO - I am glad that the tone and direction are different. That being said, I too am anxious (well, as much as I would get over a comic :) ). Anyway, thanks for this post, bluebeast.

Well thank you for the response.

I just don't understand why the shifting tone of the book means the characters have to look like 616 characters from the 90's.

i just hope loeb is practical.

like if they go international, spidey stays home as he has to go to high school still.

i just hope loeb is practical.

like if they go international, spidey stays home as he has to go to high school still.

OH!

HAHAHAHA!

Marvelman, since I know your not being serious this is great for a laugh

I hope your not serious

Loeb, rational?

I'm surprised Sabertooth and Pyscho Man aren't on the cover yet.

I just don't understand why the shifting tone of the book means the characters have to look like 616 characters from the 90's.

But, the costumes themselves, other than Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and maybe Black Panther, are pretty similar to their Ultimate costumes.

It looks... okay. Judging by the only thing I've ever read of Loeb (Wolverine), I h8 him. Madureira makes the muscley guys look incredibly unrealistic, but the rest looks good. Although... Spider-Man and Wolverine. Really, Marvel?

Grr, Black Panther. Maybe he'll actually be Ultimatized in a good way?! :0 When was the last time that happened outside of UXM?

Last edited:
There's so much to say I dont have the time to say it.

It ****ing sucks.

This is terrible. What the **** is this? I can't even tell who half of those characters are. **** you, Loeb. **** you, Mad. **** you, Queseda. And **** you Marvel.

I'll make my own Ultimates 3.
Seriously, we should all (by that I mean the members who can offer something intelligent) get together and write what Ultimate 3 should be, chip in money and have Skotti drawn it. And after each issue is released of the crappy official we will release ours on every message board we can find and basically say, **** you Marvel
So here's my 2 yen......

I kinda like it. The art at least. It's big-cheesy-pin up fun.

As far as the story goes....I'm really trying to be optimistic. I like a lot of Loeb's stuff. There's some stuff out there from him that is just bad. But there's a lot of stuff that's good as well.

And as far as the change in tone, I'm cool with it. To be honest, I'm kinda burnt out on the "superhero politics" theme nowadays. I read enough stuff with actual good character development, indie art, heavier-toned themes. Sometimes I just want a book where the heroes don't have to worry about the political or social consequences of their actions. They see the bad guy....they punch the bad guy. Boom. Done. Sometimes you need books like that in your collection to remind you of the black-and-white fun superhero comics used to be.

So yeah. I'm optimistic.....but I'm not expecting too much outta this.
I agree about the art, its cool but for the UU its crap. But the direction I will give a big fat no. The Ultimates has become the flagship of the UU, it shows everything that was great about the UU and has keep the realistic and reasonable tone that the other titles use to have and lost. I would not give Loeb enough room to do what ever he want, cause the UU is fragile. There was a great style and sense of realism that really drew me to the UU. Its way too easy to **** things up. Giving them the freedom to do a "Superhero just fights a bad guy" will just allow them to produce all the crappy stuff from the 90's. There needs to be strict boundaries on ALL titles in the UU

Latest posts

Back