IGN Exclusive look at Ultmates Vol. 3.

I'm happy for it.

Seriously, you guys are going to hate me, but this is good.

Magneto is a global threat, not just some stupid villains that those teenagers mutant can defeat. He is a strategist, the same plan won't work twice and all that bs about awesome villains.

Also, isn't that chick the one that could see the future? I don't think it's storm...

I'm happy for it.

Seriously, you guys are going to hate me, but this is good.

Magneto is a global threat, not just some stupid villains that those teenagers mutant can defeat. He is a strategist, the same plan won't work twice and all that bs about awesome villains.
I don't mind Mags being a villain, but he seems seriously outgunned here.
Also, isn't that chick the one that could see the future? I don't think it's storm...
Who can say? Not me. Maybe. Could be.

You know what pisses me off the most? The fact that this has essentially been turned into 616 New Avengers. I'm honestly surprised that Captain America doesn't have little wings on his head. Also, Thor is all wrong. ALL WRONG!!!! How are they going to justify Thor's hammer changing from the awesomeness of what it was to FREAKING 616 THOR'S HAMMER??!!?? Why are they changing nearly thirty issues of continuity to make it as bland as the regular Marvel Universe? Wasn't the point of the Ultimate Universe that it was different than the 616 universe? But, hey, we don't have the creative power to think about Ultimatizing characters even after we already have nearly thirty issues that have already done the job for us. It's just sheer laziness, no ifs ands or buts.

As for the art- it's pretty, but if every issue is like that, each issue will take just as long as (if not longer than) Bryan Hitch's issues to come out.

And don't even get me started on how they are now apparently fighting every villain in the Ultimate Marvel Universe. Can't they Ultimatize some characters we haven't seen before? Are they really that lazy (well actually, as we saw with Thor, they are)? I mean, I've already seen all these characters before! Where's the new stuff? Where's the interesting villains with new backrounds and cool powers? Are they just doing this so they don't have to have any character development from the villains, period? After all, other and obviously better writers have already delved into the complexities and backgrounds of these characters, so now Loeb doesn't have to bother!

In the end, I am utterly disappointed. I chalk it up to laziness- unwillingness to be creative, and to come up with new material. Loeb could have gone a hundred different directions with what Millar gave him, and he chose to write 616 Avengers. Disappointing.

And someone needs to tell Joe Madablabbityblabhowtheheckdoyouspellhislastname that this isn't 616 Marvel, and drawing a picture based on the first picture that comes up on a Google image search of Thor isn't going to cut it.

I thought there'd be more variety here. I mean, Brotherhood + Venom? Man... I wish we could've at least included Mole Man. Or someone other tha a mutant. Omega Red, perhaps? He could have been an awesome addition to the team, mutant or not.

Sure

Ultimatecentral obviously mean we only talk about the Ultimates.

WRONG

We are the Ultimate Source of EVERYTHING

Not just the Ultimate Line

We should just change the site motto. :lol:

What the **** is Marvel smoking?!?!?! You know, I was a little annoyed when I saw full-bearded Thor and then Spider-Man and Iron Man (both of whom look way too much like their 616 versions), but after seeing Scarlet Witch in 616 garb?!?! WTF?!?!?!?!?! Are they 616-izing the Ultimate universe or what? Hawkeye looks like **** (what the **** is the point of a face mask?), and the only reason they've got Valkyrie on this mother****er is because they're not creative enough to ultimize they're own characters (wow, I wonder where they got the idea of Black Panther from?). I'm betting a million dollars that the only reason they have Venom on here is so they can help Tony cure his cancer because they're lazy and they don't want to have to worry about that plotpoint. Captain America has no ****ing neck, and Quicksilver looks like his 616 version. I realize they're trying to make the Ultimates more like superheroes, but that doesn't mean making them look like their 616 counterparts. It makes me ****ing sick. Storm even looks like 616 Storm. I'm pretty sure the only time Ult. Storm had big wavy hair was in the first few arcs of Ult. X-Men.

What the **** is Marvel smoking?!?!?! You know, I was a little annoyed when I saw full-bearded Thor and then Spider-Man and Iron Man (both of whom look way too much like their 616 versions), but after seeing Scarlet Witch in 616 garb?!?! WTF?!?!?!?!?! Are they 616-izing the Ultimate universe or what? Hawkeye looks like **** (what the **** is the point of a face mask?), and the only reason they've got Valkyrie on this mother****er is because they're not creative enough to ultimize they're own characters (wow, I wonder where they got the idea of Black Panther from?). I'm betting a million dollars that the only reason they have Venom on here is so they can help Tony cure his cancer because they're lazy and they don't want to have to worry about that plotpoint. Captain America has no ****ing neck, and Quicksilver looks like his 616 version. I realize they're trying to make the Ultimates more like superheroes, but that doesn't mean making them look like their 616 counterparts. It makes me ****ing sick. Storm even looks like 616 Storm. I'm pretty sure the only time Ult. Storm had big wavy hair was in the first few arcs of Ult. X-Men.

Eloquently put.

Well, in defense of Mad, Scarlet Witch started in a very 616-ish costume during Millar's run on Ultimate X-men. I also like full-bearded Thor. Makes him look more like a Viking. I agree with everything else, though.

I also like full-bearded Thor. Makes him look more like a Viking. I agree with everything else, though.
I officially think you are cool, but I do believe he looks older. Maybe Odin excepted him into Valhalla and he came back changed but to that I have complaints:

Why the hell is Mjolnir so small? Why is it made of stone? Why isn't it an axe/hammer? Why is this 616!?

I hope Venom isn't black in this. He needs to be dark purple in the UU.

Jesus Christ, they are screwing with everything that made the UU so ultimate. I haven't given up all hope yet, and I will save my full judgement when the issues come out. Jesus Christ.....

Last edited:
I officially think you are cool.

Why the hell is Mjolnir so small? Why is it made of stone? Why isn't it an axe/hammer? Why is this 616!?

Why, thank you!

I also agree about Mjolnir. What the **** are these two thinking!?

Why, thank you!

I also agree about Mjolnir. What the **** are these two thinking!?

Scarlet Witch did have a similar costume to her 616 counterpart in Ult. X-Men, but after joining Ultimates, she trashed that thing. Then, in 2007, Jeph Loeb and Joe Mad took over the Ultimates and destroyed everything that made the Ultimate universe ultimate, reverting SW back to her 616 form.

Last edited:
Scarlet Witch did have a similar costume to her 616 counterpart in Ult. X-Men, but after joining Ultimates, she trashed that thing. Then, in 2007, Jeph Loeb and Joe Mad destroyed everything that made the Ultimate universe ultimate.

Yeah, why would they make a character that is so hot wear that thing?

I wonder if they will continue the seemingly incestuous relationship between Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch...

Ohhhhh second picture = Logo on chest :D excellent

Latest posts

Back