IGN Exclusive look at Ultmates Vol. 3.

I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere that the person you all are calling Hawkeye is really Ultimate Taskmaster. But, maybe it is Hawkeye. Who knows? And I'm going to reinforce this point: Where the **** is Hulk!?

Well he does have a bullseye painted on his forehead which implies accuracy. If it was TM then it would have been a brain glued to a camera, which implies photographic memory.

Oh god. There is a weapon being thrown away from the Ultimates and it has a leather wrapping around the handle and doesn't look like Ultimate Thor's hammer. If they make it a stone hammer, I am going to freak, man.

Other than that I will be mad about Scarlet Witch's costume, wonder if that is Hawkeye or not, and then wait for the issue. Hopefully it will be better than this.

Yep, it's old school Mjolnir and that just plain sucks.

Also, that is totally Hawkeye.

Look at the High Rez picture and look at the gun Hawkeye's holding.

The top gun barrel, see those "wings" hanging off of both sides? Looks a lot like a crossbow doesn't it?

Yeah...Joe Mad drew Hawkeye a crossbow-gun.

Last edited:
Yep, it's old school Mjolnir and that just plain sucks.

Also, that is totally Hawkeye.

Look at the High Rez picture and look at the gun Hawkeye's holding.

The top gun barrel, see those "wings" hanging off of both sides? Looks a lot like a crossbow doesn't it?

Yeah...Joe Mad grew Hawkeye a crossbow-gun.

. . .damn. What the ****!?

I want to state one more time...

A crossbow-gun.

Because it makes all the sense in the world. Me and a friend were looking at the high rez and both bemoaning the ugliness of it all and I noticed the shadow on the gun (we were making fun of having two barrels on the ugly gun) and it dawned on me.

Hawkeye has a crossbow-gun. The idea would be GREAT in Nextwave, but in Ultimates...Well E already said this reminded him of everything that was bad about the 90s.

So I'll say it's everything bad about the 90s plus a crossbow-gun.

And if I had a Strongbad image with him holding the nunchuck-gun I'd post it here.

The villains version of the cover is coming on Thursday. I'm guessing it will have Magneto, Venom and Dr. Doom on it. Maybe Ghost Rider, if Loeb was serious when he said he might make him a villain.

The villains version of the cover is coming on Thursday. I'm guessing it will have Magneto, Venom and Dr. Doom on it. Maybe Ghost Rider, if Loeb was serious when he said he might make him a villain.

Doesn't this sound like some mediocre fanfic?

The Ultimates plus Wolverine and Spider-Man vs Dr. Doom, Magneto, Venom, and Ghost Rider!

And the true horrid thing about it is, Ultimate X-Men is good again! And Kirkman just busted Magneto out and I want to see what Kirkman wanted to do with the character not see him take on the Ultimates by teaming up with Doom and Venom!

Most of Loeb's stories are fanfiction. He packs every character he can into a comic, regardless of story or continuity. Wolverine has every animal like character in it, and as far as I can tell, the only plot point so far has been that Wolverine was a werewolf.

Everyone here has voiced my opinion (except for that one dude who liked the art...in fact if you like this I disagree).

That said...look closely at Wasp and tell me she's Asian! That looks like just another white girl.

Honestly, I'm alright with the art in abstract, but in the context of The Ultimates its a pretty big no go. I was fine with mad when we were jsut getting character sketches. That Cap bust was pretty damn good, but this just looks... wrong. And really oddly colored. Its a muddy pallet. Nothing but a sea of brown and red. Not that its Mad's fault there...

I really just wish that McGuiness had done it all.

Jeph Loeb writes fanfics, and that's it

I have no idea why people praise him so much

His old Batman stuff was decent. Of course you need to keep in mind that its not proper continuity but set in the Miller Year One Batverse, but it was decent. Very open for new readers and baggage free. I'm still not sure why his Scarecrow talked in nursery rhyme though.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm alright with the art in abstract, but in the context of The Ultimates its a pretty big no go. I was fine with mad when we were jsut getting character sketches. That Cap bust was pretty damn good, but this just looks... wrong. And really oddly colored. Its a muddy pallet. Nothing but a sea of brown and red. Not that its Mad's fault there...

I really just wish that McGuiness had done it all.

I will give you that. It almost looks like it wasn't inked properly. In fact, you can see a button on Cap's chest which is in pencil and clearly not supposed to be seen in the high rez image.

So here's my 2 yen......

I kinda like it. The art at least. It's big-cheesy-pin up fun.

As far as the story goes....I'm really trying to be optimistic. I like a lot of Loeb's stuff. There's some stuff out there from him that is just bad. But there's a lot of stuff that's good as well.

And as far as the change in tone, I'm cool with it. To be honest, I'm kinda burnt out on the "superhero politics" theme nowadays. I read enough stuff with actual good character development, indie art, heavier-toned themes. Sometimes I just want a book where the heroes don't have to worry about the political or social consequences of their actions. They see the bad guy....they punch the bad guy. Boom. Done. Sometimes you need books like that in your collection to remind you of the black-and-white fun superhero comics used to be.

So yeah. I'm optimistic.....but I'm not expecting too much outta this.

Latest posts

Back