I'll miss Immonen

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Re: Ultimate X-Men #65 (Discussion/Spoilers)

This is great. I'll miss Immonen.

icemastertron said:

He's better than Raney and Dillion in my opinion.

ProjectX2 said:
Just like in mine, the latter two are better than him. Least when Raney drew Rogue realy young girl-ish (or however it was put) IT WAS A FREAKING GIRL!!

icemastertron said:
Just like in mine, the latter two are better than him. Least when Raney drew Rogue realy young girl-ish (or however it was put) IT WAS A FREAKING GIRL!!

Immonen's only drawn Rogue once, and she looked like a girl then. I like the cartoony style.

ProjectX2 said:
Immonen's only drawn Rogue once, and she looked like a girl then. I like the cartoony style.
Actually, what I meant was that when Raney drew a girl too girly or whatever, it was a girl, unlike Immonen, who when drew Bobby in human form during some issues, he drew him like a girl.

The cartoony style is alright, but I dont prefer it much. He has much to work on (as other artists, but Im talking about him specifically).

ProjectX2 said:
This is great. I'll miss Immonen.

I was never a fan of Immonen, but for some reason, at least to a degree after The Most Dangerous Game and up to Magnetic North, his art has grown on me. Maybe its just that it was paired with Vaughan's kick-*** writing so I didn't even notice as much, but at least its better than Bachalo.

I like him better than Dillon (he draws everyone to like a crack head), but I really like Raney much more than Immonen. Raney, along with Hitch and McNiven, are three of my favorite artists.

Guijllons said:
I really love Immonen's work, he's head and shoulders above most comic books artists out there. Certainly better than Raney anyway.

Agreed. People don't like him because he draws people too cartoony, but he makes them look fun, and they take them too serious.

ProjectX2 said:
Agreed. People don't like him because he draws people too cartoony, but he makes them look fun, and they take them too serious.
I think he just gives an amazing energy to his characters, the total opposite of Land. He's taken his pencils down to a really minimal line and everything has a real dynamic to it.

Raney's art is well laid out and there's consistency in face-to-face, body-to-body, but it lacks the energy of Immonen. Go read Superman: Secret Identity and you'll see how awesome this guy is.

Even Quesada declared him as the most under-rated talent at Marvel, and I sincerely believe him because in the context of the interview he gave it in, I would've expected him to choose someone whose ability is more 'contested' than 'overlooked', which is exactly what describes Immonen's status now.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Agreed. Way too Cartoony for me.
Raney is far more cartoony. I put immonen up there with Hitch in regards of storytelling ability, and creative talent.

Immonen and Raney rate about the same for me - meh. I'd probably give a slight edge to Immonen. But Raney is much more cartoony.

Dillon is a little better, but I'm not a big fan.

ourchair said:
You mean Tom Raney isnt cartoony?

Yeah, he's the cartooniest one of all of them.

I was really not a fan of Immonen's art, honestly. It wasn't eyebleedingly bad like Bachalo or Ribic, but it just didn't do it for me.

Caduceus said:
I was really not a fan of Immonen's art, honestly. It wasn't eyebleedingly bad like Bachalo or Ribic, but it just didn't do it for me.

And that's about how I feel about it. I won't miss Immonen on the book, but it's not like I'm ecstatic that he's gone.

Latest posts

Back