I'll miss Immonen

Re: Ultimate X-Men #65 (Discussion/Spoilers)

icemastertron said:
Actually, what I meant was that when Raney drew a girl too girly or whatever, it was a girl, unlike Immonen, who when drew Bobby in human form during some issues, he drew him like a girl.

The cartoony style is alright, but I dont prefer it much. He has much to work on (as other artists, but Im talking about him specifically).

Wasn't someone complaining that the cover with Bobby and Rogue featured an almost manly Rogue? C'mon...

Personally, I'm with PX2 on this one. I really liked what Immonen did on this title. There won't be any Kubert on this title for a while, so we've gotta accept that fact... Immonen, while approaching the characters differently than past artists, did well conveying that they were young, impressionable mutants. Awesome.

Goodwill said:
Wasn't someone complaining that the cover with Bobby and Rogue featured an almost manly Rogue? C'mon...
If someone was, there's a reason for that!

Immonen's been my favourite artist on this title so far.

Goodwill said:
Personally, I'm with PX2 on this one. I really liked what Immonen did on this title. There won't be any Kubert on this title for a while, so we've gotta accept that fact... Immonen, while approaching the characters differently than past artists, did well conveying that they were young, impressionable mutants. Awesome.
On that note, I'm going to miss Kubert as well. The unsettling change between creative teams was buoyed largely by the phenomenal talent of artists like Immonen and Kubert. Land is just bleh.

His art is functionally detailed but I can't have 'fun' with it the way I can with Kubert. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't really consider Kubert on his list of top Ultimate artists.

I think you're totally right with Land, OC. There's no fluidity there... Just stills of these characters, really. Photos. That's why when I found out he uses actual photos as references, I nearly died. That's not really creative. You've got guys like Kubert and Immonen that can draw, not realisitically, but appropriately and still get the same idea out of what Land is trying to do. It looks cool, but only for a moment.

I won't miss Immonen, but he did a good job on the title. At first, I really didn't like him on UXM (His UFF work was good). But, he grew on me. I like him about equally to Raney and Dillon now. But it's McNiven who's going to make the X-men shine. :D

Goodwill said:
I think you're totally right with Land, OC. There's no fluidity there... Just stills of these characters, really. Photos. That's why when I found out he uses actual photos as references, I nearly died. That's not really creative. You've got guys like Kubert and Immonen that can draw, not realisitically, but appropriately and still get the same idea out of what Land is trying to do. It looks cool, but only for a moment.
Land is the antithesis of Daredevil's Alex Maleev. The latter knows how to use photo reference in a good way.

Goodwill said:
That's why when I found out he uses actual photos as references, I nearly died.

I've never heard of an artist who DOESN'T use actual photos as reference. Alex Ross had a whole section on how he does it in the Marvels TPB.

UltimateE said:
I've never heard of an artist who DOESN'T use actual photos as reference. Alex Ross had a whole section on how he does it in the Marvels TPB.
He even showed/explained how he did the Superman/Batman piece for a cover for Wizard, too.

I'm pretty sure Immonen doesn't use reference, some artists do, some don't, it's really very clear who's who. But using reference isn't a slight on anyone's ability who does or an example of creativity if an artist doesn't.
It's the end result with comics, and that end result means a heckuva lot more than just pretty pictures.

Guijllons said:
But using reference isn't a slight on anyone's ability who does or an example of creativity if an artist doesn't.

Exactly.

I think looking off a photo slights creativity. The first issue of the Namor arc has some good examples of what I'm talking about. Some of the panels have Sue looking unnatural. Just look at the one where her and Thing are looking out the window of the sub. You see? Had it been someone else, I would bet it would look more natural. Land uses these photos as a crutch.

Goodwill said:
I think looking off a photo slights creativity. The first issue of the Namor arc has some good examples of what I'm talking about. Some of the panels have Sue looking unnatural. Just look at the one where her and Thing are looking out the window of the sub. You see? Had it been someone else, I would bet it would look more natural. Land uses these photos as a crutch.

Then maybe you mean over-relying on photos slights creativity.

I think the difference between how Land uses photo reference and others (like Hitch) who do it is Land looks almost like he just traces, while others are able to use a photo referenced face and make it fit the scene.

Lynx said:
I think the difference between how Land uses photo reference and others (like Hitch) who do it is Land looks almost like he just traces, while others are able to use a photo referenced face and make it fit the scene.

Right.

Guijllons said:
I'm pretty sure Immonen doesn't use reference, some artists do, some don't, it's really very clear who's who. But using reference isn't a slight on anyone's ability who does or an example of creativity if an artist doesn't.
It's the end result with comics, and that end result means a heckuva lot more than just pretty pictures.
Exactly.

Lynx said:
Exactly.

compound said:
I love your penis. It's wonderful.
Exactly.

Goodwill said:
The criticism of Land is valid, but that doesn't count for all artists. Hitch references just as much. Hell, da Vinchi didn't pluck la Gioconda out of thin air. He used a model.

compound said:
I love your penis. It's wonderful.
ty

Latest posts

Back