Important milestones in comics

E

Excelsior Club
What are some of the most important milestones in comics history? I don't mean anything specific to a character or story necessarily, but more for the industry and how it operates. A few I thought of...

The creation of the Comics Code Authority
Coming directly out of the events of the whole Fredric Wertham/Seduction of the Innocent mess, it was the industry's desperate attempt to self-regulate and avoid any outside meddling. Funnily enough, Wertham didn't think it was enough even though it led to the wholesale cancellation of most horror and crime titles and a general dumbing down of the industry as a whole. Up until 1989, homosexuality couldn't even be referred to, much less dealt with on any level.

Marvel's move away from the Comics Code Authority
Marvel dumped the CCA in 2001, allowing it to deal with darker themes and more "real-life' situations. DC followed suit soon after (mostly; it still submits a couple books).

The creation of the Vertigo imprint
Vertigo was created in 1993, right in the middle of the comic explosion and in stark contrast to the type of stories seen in superhero books of the time. Obviously not the first adult-centered line, but arguably the most important. The books released under the imprint at the time have affected mainstream books today. Without Vertigo, there would probably be no Ultimates.

The creation of Image
Nothing in the history of the medium is more important than the formation of Image for creator's rights.

More?

I'd say action comics 1# for the fact it introduced superman and had a trickle effect where more superheroes came along.

The introduction of the direct market/specialty comic book stores.

The waning influence of the Comics Code Authority.

The speculator boom and bust.

Not milestones, I know but historically important developments.

I'll elaborate when I'm not busy celebrating the new year. In my jet pack.

I'd say when the first Spider-Man movie came out (2001?), because it (re)ignited an interest in comic books for a lot of people and opened the door for big budget comic movies.

The introduction of graphic novels and collections?

The introduction of graphic novels and collections?

They've been around for a long time but it's been within the last few years they've begun to rival the issues in popularity. So maybe another would be the advent of deluxe editions like DC's Absolute editions.

I'd say when the first Spider-Man movie came out (2001?), because it (re)ignited an interest in comic books for a lot of people and opened the door for big budget comic movies.

I say the first X-men movie and than Spider-Man.

We wouldn't of had either if the first Blade didn't do so well.

Latest posts

Back