In-grown Toe Nail. What am I gonna do?

True story.

When I was in 8th grade I had a chronic problem with ingrown toenails on BOTH my big toes. I had them removed. Not by choice - only a sicko like Vic would do something like that willingly. ;)

It wasn't fun. The actual removal wasn't that bad, but having them scab over was the worst. I should add that I have a phobia kind of thing with fingernails, and can't stand to have any of my finger or toenails touched. It freaks me out. This stems from a dream I had when I was younger where I was being tortured by having extremely large pins (like knitting needles) slowly pushed into my fingernails.

So yeah, I had a really hard time with it.

As for what you should do - have them removed. By a doctor. If you don't they will never heal and they will just get worse and worse.

And thanks for bringing back bad memories.

Bass said:
I mean, Doom here is DOOM. He's evil. He probably wants your toe for his own nefarious purposes.

Also, Doom isn't a 'man'. You performing surgery on yourself isn't 'manning up'. Doom is a being of pure fist. :D

Awww....thanks. I try.

Bass said:
But seriously, Doom has done field surgery and stuff. If you know what you're doing, do it yourself. But if you have no idea what you're doing and you're just going on Doom's DIY course - no matter how adept Doom is, it's still operating on yourself and it's just not wise.

He's got a point. While I am no doctor....we get only the medical training we need to keep alive and keep moving.

Plus....I've seen the doctor do this procedure many times before so I had a very good idea on how to do it....just not the intricate details. Kinda like driving a stick.

MaxwellSmart said:
The awesomest stories line starts behind you! I guess that's what happens when you're a soldier though. I've also heard some great stories from parametics I've known.

Holy crap...you wouldn't beleive the stories I got. I already mentioned it....but I leave for deployment in a couple weeks and while I'm gone I'm gonna compile a list of "war" stories of mine and post them in a thread.

"Doom's War Journal"

I have a rather unique toenail story.

I've had toenail fungus since birth. Yes birth, they were black upon birth. As a result they're a pale green and about an eighth of an inch thick. I've seen podiatrist about it. They've said an long term regimen of anti-fungal meds that would help lighten the nails, but they would still look abnormal. The other solution is to have them permenantly removed and I would just have skin there.

As a result, I don't wear sandals. My long term plan is to have a plastic surgeon replace the nails with plastic nails.

VVD said:
Holy crap...you wouldn't beleive the stories I got. I already mentioned it....but I leave for deployment in a couple weeks and while I'm gone I'm gonna compile a list of "war" stories of mine and post them in a thread.

"Doom's War Journal"
I was thinking of requesting something like this, but I thought it might be asking a bit much. I hope you can still post on occasion while on active deployment. If not, we can wait.

Last edited:
I've only had an in-grown toenail once a couple years ago but here are a few of the best suggestions I can offer:

Solution #1 - The hot salt-water footbath every day works pretty well.

Solution #2 - Clamp down on the toe with your fist for about a minute until there are tears running down your face and you absolutely can't take it anymore. Then, let go and the normal level of pain doesn't seem so bad anymore.

And if those don't work, there's always Solution #3.

Vic is right, the best way of getting out an in grown toenail.
I did that once, but i didnt do the first step and couldn't get to the root, lots of blood, but i did take it off.

Until you get used to the difference in pressure on your toe(s), regular things like even just standing up can become unbearable. Because once you stand up and all the blood rushes to your toes, they throb. It's not even that it hurts, but for me it was probably the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever felt.

Showers are no fun either.

E said:
Until you get used to the difference in pressure on your toe(s), regular things like even just standing up can become unbearable. Because once you stand up and all the blood rushes to your toes, they throb. It's not even that it hurts, but for me it was probably the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever felt.

Showers are no fun either.

Yeah, my toe's turning black and blue from the inside out.

TheManWithoutFear said:

I meant AFTER they get pulled off.

I wish mine would've just been black & blue. Mine bled really bad. Got infected. It was grotesque.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Doctor's appointment set. 9:30 Thursday Morning.

Woman. I had to DIY an ingrown toenail at nine years old, two times after as well. Its really not that bad. Good for the pain threshold. Seriously as long as you have decent co-ordination and think about what you're doing its not that bad.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yeah, mine turned a really nice shade of purple...

I didn't have any problems when I stood or showered, but then I'm on my feet all day every day, so maybe I just got used to it.

I do have a wicked scar on my left toe...

Last edited:
E said:
It wasn't fun. The actual removal wasn't that bad, but having them scab over was the worst. I should add that I have a phobia kind of thing with fingernails, and can't stand to have any of my finger or toenails touched. It freaks me out. This stems from a dream I had when I was younger where I was being tortured by having extremely large pins (like knitting needles) slowly pushed into my fingernails.
We should start a support group.

Wow...

I haven't gone to a doctor in awhile and I was usually real good with but I punk'd out bad today.

My appointment was 9:30. I got in there. Doctor was cool. We talked for a while. I knew what would happen with the "surgery", it was pretty basic. As soon as he brought the needles out, I felt sick though. He kept asking if I was all right and he was nervous about it. When he started doing the cuttin he asked if I wanted a magazine. I told him I wasn't sure what was wrong with me but I needed to toughen up and watch. He gave me a magazine anyway. Then I just felt more sick and asked him for a glass of water. I started sweating. It was an ordeal. When it was all said and done, I was back to normal. But man, that was weird.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wow...

I haven't gone to a doctor in awhile and I was usually real good with but I punk'd out bad today.

My appointment was 9:30. I got in there. Doctor was cool. We talked for a while. I knew what would happen with the "surgery", it was pretty basic. As soon as he brought the needles out, I felt sick though. He kept asking if I was all right and he was nervous about it. When he started doing the cuttin he asked if I wanted a magazine. I told him I wasn't sure what was wrong with me but I needed to toughen up and watch. He gave me a magazine anyway. Then I just felt more sick and asked him for a glass of water. I started sweating. It was an ordeal. When it was all said and done, I was back to normal. But man, that was weird.

It's good that you "manned up" and at least watched. Did he use any kinda novacaine or anything to dull the pain? At least now you know what's involved and what to do in case it happens again (...and you decide not to go to the doctor).

The only reason I go to the doctor anymore is for the pills. Not that I'm some junkie mind you....but it's for self-medicating purposes and they really come in handy out in the field.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wow...

You were having a nervous reaction, nad I'm guessing you didn't eat before the surgery?

This amplifies the reaction, because of the anxiety, your stomach floods with acid, and if thee is no food to absorb it, your reaction doubles and you feel the need to puke

Latest posts

Back