Inception (spoilers!)

What would you give Inception?

• Total voters
Re: Inception

Honestly, the only conceivable reasons for giving this film a negative review are:
a) For the sake of dissenting
b) Because you didn't care to understand it
c) Because Christopher Nolan murdered your family and you seek revenge by giving every one of his films a bad review

I actually planted the idea for Inception into Chris Nolan's mind.

Mr. Nolan, if you are reading this feel free to send some $ my way.

That's usually how it works, yeah.

Shouldn't a review be based on how good the movie is, not so much about personal opinions? For example, I may enjoy Commando better than First Blood, but I'll give First Blood a better review because it's a much better movie.

Last edited:

WOW. So good. I don't eve know what else to say.
Oh my god... I can't even fully gather my thoughts on this film. Suffice to say, I think it blows away anything he's done before. I'm trying to wrap my mind around it completely and in the process I keep losing focus, vision-wise...
Really? I feel like this is the most straight-forward non-Batman Nolan film I've seen. I feel like I understood it completely and even found it predictable (not in a bad way). It was trippy and mind-blowing and awesome, but not really hard for me to wrap my mind around. Unless you just mean wrap your mind around how good it was.

Honestly, the only conceivable reasons for giving this film a negative review are:
a) For the sake of dissenting
b) Because you didn't care to understand it
c) Because Christopher Nolan murdered your family and you seek revenge by giving every one of his films a bad review

What about simply not liking it? Or is that not a good enough reason to give a film a bad review?

No, actually it's not. Just because you don't like a movie, you're going to give it a bad review?

That's usually how it works, yeah.

:lol:

Shouldn't a review be based on how good the movie is, not so much about personal opinions? For example, I may enjoy Commando better than First Blood, but I'll give First Blood a better review because it's a much better movie.

Except that movie quality is sort of intangible. It has to be based on personal opinion at some level.

There are obviously a few more reasons to give it a bad review than Langsta's listed, but I don't believe in "simply" disliking anything, really. If you think you simply don't like something(not counting sensory experiences etc), you should take a closer look and try and figure out why you really don't like it. Especially if you're, you know, a critic.

Have you guys honestly ever read a professional review that went "I just didn't like this film. No reason, really. I simply didn't like it"? I doubt its author wrote many more if you have.

My original post wasn't even meant to be taken that seriously (look at reason #3), the point of it was to say how amazing this movie is; I honestly don't understand why there are negative reviews because there's no reason to nitpick this movie when there are so much worse ones out there.

My original post wasn't even meant to be taken that seriously (look at reason #3), the point of it was to say how amazing this movie is; I honestly don't understand why there are negative reviews because there's no reason to nitpick this movie when there are so much worse ones out there.

agreed. I don't understand how anyone could dislike that movie either.

EDIT: Just read this review:

Andrew O'Hehir:
Inception may have been directed by Christopher Nolan, but Nolan's dreams are apparently directed by Michael Bay.

...:?

Last edited:

It was amazing. I stilll like TDK better but this is close.

If this was tweaked a bit, it could be a sequel to Shutter Island.

Saw it last night.

This is the closest thing to homework this site will give. It is required viewing. Multiple times. Just brilliant. Can't wait to see it again.

Interesting note: Cobb's wife's name is French for "bad."

PS - Awesome moment during the previews when everyone sat enrapt by the "Devil" preview...until "from the mind of M. Night Shyamalan" came on screen and everyone booed.

Last edited:

I was waiting for that.

I don't necessarily think it's one of the Top-5 films ever, but it's definitely one of the few films that deserves a temporary place in the IMDb Top-5, a la Toy Story 3, The Dark Knight, Incredibles, etc. Getting that temporary place in the top five or ten is kind of the true litmus test for an all-time classic in terms of internet rankings, way moreso than that constantly changing 250 list which usually has at least two Bourne films on it and has never ranked Ferris Bueller or Jurassic Park. And Inception totally is an all-time classic, I think. So.... yeah. Good.

Last edited:

Stunning. This was simply stunning.

I'm just waiting for Bass to explain to all of us why we're idiots.

I swear this is my biggest pet peeve with the critiques and thoughts of the film. Aside from one actor what does Shutter Island and Inception have in common?

I can see where comparisons could be made. Both are movies the mess with your mind and star Leonardo DiCaprio, that's true. But think about the subplot where
Leo sees visions of his sinister wife. In both movies he tries to block what his wife did out of his head and imagines a better version of her. In both movies his wife was insane, the difference being that his wife in Shutter Island killed their two kids and his wife in Inception neglected their real two kids and dreamed of new ones.

(I thought it would be appropriate to use spoiler tags in case some people haven't seen Shutter Island)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back