Inception (spoilers!)

What would you give Inception?

• Total voters
Re: Inception

I shared that diagram with some people (I know there has been a lot of debate already over its accuracy), but someone offered to me their interpretation of the movie (one of the possible explanations that Massawyrm described):

Is it a common assumption that the top kept spinning? Personally, I took the wobbling to mean that it was gonna fall (if he were in a dream, it wouldn't wobble at all, and would consistently and cleanly spin). I know it's open to interpretation, of course.

I want to know why DJF thought it was so disappointing.

I want to know why DJF thought it was so disappointing.

My full review is coming. I'm still just so... disappointed. I was ready to embrace this as one of the best films I'd ever seen. Now, I can think of plenty of films that dealt with dreams/dreaming that did it so much better.

I seen it again today and that chart is correct. It was even stated who was dreaming. The sound was so bad during the first showing.

I went to it in IMAX and the sound was really bad too. Everything was too loud and I could barely hear most of the dialogue.

I went to it in IMAX and the sound was really bad too. Everything was too loud and I could barely hear most of the dialogue.

So I should stick to seeing it in a conventional theater the second time around then?

I had the same problem and I only saw it in a traditional theater. Saito was especially hard to understand. For instance, I have no idea how
Saito figured out he was in a dream when he was laying on that carpet at the very beginning of the movie.

Last edited:

I had the same problem and I only saw it in a traditional theater. Saito was especially hard to understand.

Yes! I'm not insane!

As for how he figured out it was a dream, I think it was something to do with the fabric. The first architect talked about how he didn't know Saito would be rubbing his cheek up against it.

Last edited:
I had sound problems when I saw BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. It's a Nolan thing.

I agree. I didn't really notice it with Begins, but I did with TDK.

I'm seeing this again next weekend...hopefully that will help me decide just how I feel about this movie. On one hand I respect the uniqueness of the film, and the incredible cast, but... I can't help but feel there was just too much arbitrary structure to the whole dream world. I don't know how if that even makes sense, but it's my gut reaction.

I saw it in a regular theater and had no problems with the sound. Ken Watanabe's accent is always a little thick, but I'm pretty adept at that, at least in movies. I didn't have this problem with any other Nolan movie either.

I had the same problem and I only saw it in a traditional theater. Saito was especially hard to understand. For instance, I have no idea how
Saito figured out he was in a dream when he was laying on that carpet at the very beginning of the movie.

Saito'd always been bugged by the carpet in that apartment, which was really stained and frayed, but made of wool, and Nash had dreamed it up out of polyester.

The one thing that hindered my first viewing of Batman Begins was that yes, the sound was far too loud in the rough, aging cinema in which I saw it. I didn't have a problem with The Dark Knight or Inception though and both of those times, I was sitting right at the front row.

I had no problems understanding Saito and in a way, I couldn't believe it was Ken Watanabe, because he's so hard to understand in Batman Begins.

Last edited:
I have to add to the chorus, the IMAX theater here in Columbus is terrible, sound wise. It's indiscriminately loud, the background noise can, and usually does drown out the dialog. Saw it there (because friends insisted), then saw it in a local art house, Saito is much more easily understood when the audio isn't cranked to 11.

tumblr_l61pw0Kw5t1qcbjrjo1_1280.jpg

Latest posts

Back