Infinite Crisis - To get or not to get, thats the question.

UltimateTiger

Hello Everyone,
I collect all the ultimate titles and a few other non-marvel and non-dc titles. I haven't really gotten a main dc book for about 2 years but I know about most dc characters. I heard Infinite Crisis is really good. Is it worth getting it? Or will I be so totally lost that I will not like it. It looks intrigueing. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

UltimateTiger said:
Hello Everyone,
I collect all the ultimate titles and a few other non-marvel and non-dc titles. I haven't really gotten a main dc book for about 2 years but I know about most dc characters. I heard Infinite Crisis is really good. Is it worth getting it? Or will I be so totally lost that I will not like it. It looks intrigueing. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.
Its decent enough. Are you interested in just getting this, or just any DC comic to get you back into its universe?

Just this probably, and maybe the new 52 that they have planned. Don't want to spend a whole lot of extra $. I have been getting their new all-star line hoping that it will be good like the ultimate line is for Marvel. I just don't want to pay $4 for IC and not like it and be totally confused and lost and wish I never got it. =) We've all been there before I'm sure.

Also, if I would read the Crisis on Infinite Earths, would I be less lost too? I just kind of want to read that and IC and then go into the 52 week comic and not have to get every single dc title that they make enticing to sell me =)

Its well worth getting. Instead of all the Earth1-17 bull just subscribe to this version:

A load of bad stuff in the DCU came to a head, all at the same time. At the end of the original crisis some of the greatest pre-crisis heroes opted to live outside reality in order to give people the chance to start over with one world, but if they came back the crisis would unravel. So what we've got now is "They've made a balls of things down there" and they're coming back.......to save the day and damn the universe at the same time-exciting stuff!

As far as I can tell, Infinite Crisis is unreadable if you don't know the DC universe inside out.

There are better DC comics out there.

It's a few years old, but Grant Morrison's run on JLA is very good. The first 4 issues are collected in a tpb called "New World Order". Also, Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol ("Crawling from the Wreckage") is awesome.

Right now, Gotham Central is pretty cool. A story arc JUST finished with the latest issue that came out a week or two ago. So the next issue will be a new starting point. Also, The Seven Soldiers of Victory is a nice thing if you don't want to spend too much money as they're only seven 4-issue series, which can be read independently of the others if you want, but the climax to each series is in the Seven Soldiers of Victory #1 that comes out later - actually, may be it wouldn't be a good bet. Gotham Central is good. Very easy to get into and enjoyable.

All-Star Superman (also by Grant Morrison... jeez) is starting NEXT MONTH. It's 12 issues and it will be AWESOME. This is something worth getting as soon as it appears.

As for the rest of the DCU, I dunno. I'm not a big fan of what's available at the moment.

If you want good DC stuff, get the Batman: The Anmimated Series on DVD. The fourth volume is out December 6th. It was on in the 1990s and it's too good not to get. :D

Last edited:
If you're going to die, I would think it's something to do with that pesky artery you cut...

Bass said:
As far as I can tell, Infinite Crisis is unreadable if you don't know the DC universe inside out.

Not true. Its unreadable if you expect to find out every single detail of whats going on straight away, and you don't accept the fact that there has been two years of build-up for the event. Issue one takes the countdown to a climax, and uses it as a springboard. The subsequent springing and boarding is fine for newbies.

Bass said:

I agree, without reading it, because just the explanation on Newsarama made me dizzy.

UltimateE said:
I agree, without reading it, because just the explanation on Newsarama made me dizzy.
You know its really not that bad. As long as you've read Crisis on Infinate Earths, wich anyone intrested in DC comics should have anyway, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're really worried about all the vuild-up they had DC has all of the 4 minis in somevery affordable TPBs coming out next month that even include the important tie in issues. Except OMAC. ****ing Sacrafice.

Baxter said:
You know its really not that bad. As long as you've read Crisis on Infinate Earths, wich anyone intrested in DC comics should have anyway, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're really worried about all the vuild-up they had DC has all of the 4 minis in somevery affordable TPBs coming out next month that even include the important tie in issues. Except OMAC. ****ing Sacrafice.

I never read COIE.......

Johnny Bravo said:
I never read COIE.......
...me neither. Thanks for posting that explanation earlier though, JB. I was pretty confused by that last page. I'll post my full thoughts on the issue (and some questions) in the IC thread...

News-A-Rama has released Perez's cover for issue 4.

INFINITE CRISIS #4
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Phil Jimenez & Andy Lanning, George Pérez & Jerry Ordway
Covers by Jim Lee & Sandra Hope and George Pérez
The Crisis continues to explode across the DCU as a great power is unleashed. But whose side is it on? Witness a shocking confrontation between Batman and Nightwing, a vicious battle that threatens to tear the heroes of the DCU further apart, and a startling change to the recently deceased. Plus, guest appearances by more characters than we can list! Retailers please note: This issue will ship with covers by Lee & Hope (approximately 50%) and Pérez (approximately 50%).
On sale January 11 • 4 of 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

DCUniverse04.jpg

http://http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/InfiniteCrisis/IC_4_Perezepre.html

Johnny Bravo said:
Not true. Its unreadable if you expect to find out every single detail of whats going on straight away, and you don't accept the fact that there has been two years of build-up for the event. Issue one takes the countdown to a climax, and uses it as a springboard. The subsequent springing and boarding is fine for newbies.

Baxter said:

Er... okay. Then shouldn't Infinite Crisis #1 be called Countdown to Infinite Crisis #2?

Y'know, like Seven Soldiers of Victory had #0 come out, then all 7 4-issue minis come out, then Seven Soldiers of Victory #1 comes out.

Wouldn't it make more sense if, as you say, Infinite Crisis #1 is the climax to the countdown, to have had Countdown to Infinite Crisis #1, the four 6-issue minis then release Infinite Crisis #1 as 80 pages, cheap, and call it Countdown to Infinite Crisis #2, THEN start Infinite Crisis as completely stand alone for people who weren't interested in the minis, or for people who couldn't pick 'em up?

I said, "Infinite Crisis is unreadable if you don't know the DC universe inside out."

What you're saying is, "Infinite Crisis is unreadable if you haven't read all the minis leading up to it - and Crisis on Infinite Earths which came out 30 years ago."

It's just a big, fat merchandising gimmick to get you to buy 4 DC titles a month for 2 years, and all the back issues from previous stories so they can re-sell them.

Either way, it strikes me as a ****ty series for someone trying to get 'into' the universe to get.

I'm a big comic geek. IC is the big series DC is claiming will be so important, so I should be able to just read it. Regardless of my past purchases, I should be able to read Infinite Crisis and understand the big impact of the final page. I didn't. It had to be explained to me. Twice. And it still doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
The First Two issues will have everyone caught up with what's going on in the DC Universe.

If you were to read a generic summary of CoIE, and the first two issues, you'll be set for the other five, and 52.

Latest posts

Back