Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Iron Man?

• Total voters
I think it's much better than having a rehash of Alfred from Begins.

There was a number of ways they could have done him without being a rehash of Alfred and they picked a fairly good one (if a bit silly). I would have liked the overtly gay Jarvis from Ultimates, personally.

I should note that 'Next time, baby' and 'Aw hell, I am Iron Man' were the most badass moments in any Marvel movie.

Last edited:
JARVIS the snooty AI was awesome.

And I think it makes total sense on levels above and beyond just 'modernizing' elements of the Iron Man verse.

It's a brilliant reinvention that will definitely, replace the old Jarvis. And it should. It works so well.

And I'd be more than fine with Obadiah Stane coming back in the next Iron Man movie. One problem with today's wave of superhero movie franchises is that the villains lose a touch of their epicness by only appearing for one film and then being killed off. The X-films having Magneto in a starring role through all three is exactly how it should be.
I don't think that works for every villain and actually, for the most part, contradicts what you're saying about villains and their being epic. Magneto's a good example of a villain who can pull it off because he's got the politics that allow him to circulate through the entire mythology. most villains should be one and dones. It's more realistic and the idea that it's their actions outlive their presence is what gives a person his infamous nature. Having a villain reappear trying to outdo himself could end up tragic.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Paul Bettany appear on film as Jarvis.

I don't think that works for every villain and actually, for the most part, contradicts what you're saying about villains and their being epic. Magneto's a good example of a villain who can pull it off because he's got the politics that allow him to circulate through the entire mythology. most villains should be one and dones. It's more realistic and the idea that it's their actions outlive their presence is what gives a person his infamous nature. Having a villain reappear trying to outdo himself could end up tragic.

It definitely doesn't work for every villain but back there Ice was saying Magneto shouldn't have have recurred and I think that would've been ridiculous.

In general, I'm all for the movies being used as a place to see villains satisfyingly die, but you kill off every major villain the series ends up having a quality span of three films tops. I was really relieved to hear the Scarecrow was probably coming back and the Joker was going to be a major villain more movies than just The Dark Knight. The Green Goblin's death was perfect, especially since they really worked the "actions outliving them" thing, but killing off Doc Ock after one Spidey movie was just.... wrong.

It definitely doesn't work for every villain but back there Ice was saying Magneto shouldn't have have recurred and I think that would've been ridiculous.

In general, I'm all for the movies being used as a place to see villains satisfyingly die, but you kill off every major villain the series ends up having a quality span of three films tops. I was really relieved to hear the Scarecrow was probably coming back and the Joker was going to be a major villain more movies than just The Dark Knight. The Green Goblin's death was perfect, especially since they really worked the "actions outliving them" thing, but killing off Doc Ock after one Spidey movie was just.... wrong.
Yes, I said it because it I don't think he should've been. I'd rather see movies branch out and use other villains, then just have one over and over, which I think is ridiculous. Not saying they should be killed (in fact, I hate that in Spider-Man they kept doing it) either.

Even if the villain wouldn't have a major role, I rather have them sit out. At least for a movie or two (depending on how many would be done). It's why I don't think Stane should be back, even for a minor bit. I want to see more of Tony/Iron Man's world and rogue gallery (for the bit he has) explored more than just dipping back into the well again.

I want to see the same villain in every movie (Superman I'm looking in your direction), but I also don't see why they all have to die at the end. Put them in jail. There's no reason to kill them.

And if I see one more villain fall to his death. . .

Yes, I said it because it I don't think he should've been. I'd rather see movies branch out and use other villains, then just have one over and over, which I think is ridiculous. Not saying they should be killed (in fact, I hate that in Spider-Man they kept doing it) either.

Even if the villain wouldn't have a major role, I rather have them sit out. At least for a movie or two (depending on how many would be done). It's why I don't think Stane should be back, even for a minor bit. I want to see more of Tony/Iron Man's world and rogue gallery (for the bit he has) explored more than just dipping back into the well again.

I think it's dumb to have them as the MAIN villain, like in the Superman films, and especially to ONLY use that villain or have them trying to do the same thing over, like...sigh... in the Superman films, but when they come back as just an additional threat I really think it improves the feel of the story. Besides, some villains are just too good to only use once.

Magneto in particular made the X-films what they are. X2 without him would've been depressing.

I don't want to see the same villain in every movie (Superman I'm looking in your direction), but I also don't see why they all have to die at the end. Put them in jail. There's no reason to kill them.

Depends on the villain. Truly hateable ones HAVE to die if you're not going to use them again. Others..... again, there was no reason to kill Doc Ock.

And if I see one more villain fall to his death. . .

Falling deaths are the best!:p

Last edited:
Also, why no love for the little arm-bots in Stark's lab?
I love those arm-bots. Between them and Jarvis the administrative machine-ghost, I think it shows that the screenwriters knew how to actually THINK on a directorial level.

First of all, one of the fundamental problems of films about inventors and engineers or any other creators is trying to make the process of inventing and creating look remotely interesting and worth watching at all.

This is one of the reasons why the musical interlude and the montage is used all the time in such scenes, it gives something for the viewers to hook onto while the character is in the business of creating his tools. Without any editing pizzazz or catchy music, the inventing process can look god awfully boring.

The arm bots give Stark something to interact with, and also allow him to articulate the goals he has in designing the armor. Between the occasional snappy remark and quipped instruction to the arm bots, he gets to make what he's doing a lot clearer from a film audience's point of view.

Jarvis, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. There's no way for Jarvis the Butler to not seem like a character that just seems to be a sideline appearance, cleaning up broken champagne bottles and 'keeping house' for Stark. He would also appear redundant next to Potts because he'd just be ANOTHER version of her, only domestic.

By making him a machine-ghost, it gets around the problem that for now, Stark's world is a solo hero world: a rogue person of mass destruction operating at the befuddlement of his confidants. As such, Jarvis gives Stark someone to talk to and involves him in the action more directly.

Jarvis is a nagging adviser, but now he's highly portable nagging adviser freed of many of the constraints that a butler would have, essentially empowering the writers to put him anywhere Stark is and making writing WITH him a LOT easier.

The movie was good. Melt off your face good. People got angry though when this accoured:

Tony: Try to keep up.

Rhoades looks at Mach II Iron Man Suit, thinks for a second, then shakes his head.

Jim: Next time baby.

Drives off.

-_-

Everyone got excited for War Machine, like the entire theatre BOOOED when Jim just drove off and didn't get into the suit. I looked at my friend Lang and we were both like "WTFZOMGLOL!!1!!" And then we shut up.

What I don't get is, how at the end, this happens:

Hanging over the top of Stark Tower

Tony: PEPPER! NOW! PRESS IT NOW!
Pepper: BUT TONY! YOU'LL BE KILLED!
Tony: DO IT NOW PEPPER!
Stane: YOU'RE MINE STARK!

Pepper presses the button, sending a power flux, destroying Iron Monger. Tony hangs right above the explosion and gets the blunt force of it

Next Day in a small coference room

Tony: (With a few Scratches) Body Guard? Do they actually think Iron Man is my body guard?​

So, Tony, with the weaker suit, right above the explosion, gets a fractured arm, and Stane, in the more powered suit, gets completley pwned?? What the heck??

All in all though, I liked the technology they used. I also like how they put Jarvis in as a computer butler, instead of a human one. Made a lot more sense, actually.

But right above, with my War Machine quote, I like it because that leaves it open for a sequel ^.^

Rhoades looks at Mach II Iron Man Suit, thinks for a second, then shakes his head.

Drives off.

-_-

Everyone got excited for War Machine, like the entire theatre BOOOED when Jim just drove off and didn't get into the suit. I looked at my friend Lang and we were both like "WTFZOMGLOL!!1!!" And then we shut up.
Something tells me the "entire theater" did not Boo. Jamming War Machine into it just because it's a fanboys dream to rush the entire mythology into one movie is completely uncalled for. Favreau knows better and I really doubt that everyone at that theatre is stupid enough to want War Machine this early.

Pepper presses the button, sending a power flux, destroying Iron Monger. Tony hangs right above the explosion and gets the blunt force of it

Tony: (With a few Scratches) Body Guard? Do they actually think Iron Man is my body guard?​

So, Tony, with the weaker suit, right above the explosion, gets a fractured arm, and Stane, in the more powered suit, gets completley pwned?? What the heck??

I assumed the blast was a big ol' EMP pulse. Crippling Iron Mongers suit and causing it to topple into the arc reactor, causing the explosions. The Iron Man suit was practically powerless, so it didn't get affected by the pulse, leaving Stark concious and able to escape.

The movie was good. Melt off your face good. People got angry though when this accoured:

Drives off.

-_-

That's interesting. I think that before he says "next time, baby" he should've asked JARVIS how to fly it. JARVIS just says, "I don't think Mr Stark is fully capable to pilot his suit - and he built it." i.e. - you'll suck. Rhodey can sigh, "Next time, baby".

I dunno. But I find it interesting because if Iron Man wasn't a preexisting hero, if he was something Favreau invented - Rhodey would've got into the suit then and there. No question.

All in all though, I liked the technology they used. I also like how they put Jarvis in as a computer butler, instead of a human one. Made a lot more sense, actually.

But right above, with my War Machine quote, I like it because that leaves it open for a sequel ^.^

If I recall correctly, Tony isn't on the same part of the roof as Stane. I might be wrong and we can label it under 'plot hole that no one noticed'. :)

If I recall correctly, Tony isn't on the same part of the roof as Stane. I might be wrong and we can label it under 'plot hole that no one noticed'. :)
The beam (or whatever) only blasted through the window/windowless area. Tony wasn't on that part, which is why he wasn't hit by the beam (...or whatever :p). So yeah, you're right on the former.

I still don't get why they made the bodyguard cover story out to be such a ridiculous joke. It's one of the best secret ID covers in comics and makes total sense.

Except... Stark and Iron Man are never together at the same time.

But I agree. Iron Man as a special ops guy on Stark's payroll is a perfect secret identity.

Stark and Iron Man are together at the same time all the time. He has remote controlled armor, Happy and Rhodey have both been in the armor around him.

I still don't get why they made the bodyguard cover story out to be such a ridiculous joke. It's one of the best secret ID covers in comics and makes total sense.

But I agree. Iron Man as a special ops guy on Stark's payroll is a perfect secret identity.

Yeah, which is what surprised me when Tony said he was Iron Man. I was expecting to see that be shown or whatever somewhere in part 2.

WE might think that.

But Tony doesn't. Tony's a self-centered guy who loves and hates himself. Just as he horribly punishes himself when he does something wrong, he's ludicrously self-gratifying to himself when he does something RIGHT. He LIKES to be the center of attention and he LIKES to have people think he's awesome.

It totally fits Tony Stark that he'd belittle a secret identity and throw it out just so people would cheer him for being awesome. It's just what he'd do. (At least, this is true for the film version.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back