Is Marvel more interested in the 616 universe rather than the Ultimate Universe?

The Overlord

Is Marvel more interested in the 616 universe rather than the Ultimate Universe nowadays? It seems like the UU books aren't big sellers nowadays.

Is Marvel more interested in the 616 universe rather than the Ultimate Universe nowadays?

Absolutely, and rightfully so. The books suck. They used to be showcases for some of the top talents, and that's just not the case anymore.

No offense to them, but Robert Kirkman and Mike Carey are not Mark Millar and Warren Ellis.

Is Marvel more interested in the 616 universe rather than the Ultimate Universe nowadays? It seems like the UU books aren't big sellers nowadays.
of course they're more interested in the 616 who isn't?

right now the UU is a nice side track but the books aren't anything to rave about (USM has gotten better but it's still aways off).

Absolutely, and rightfully so. The books suck. They used to be showcases for some of the top talents, and that's just not the case anymore.

No offense to them, but Robert Kirkman and Mike Carey are not Mark Millar and Warren Ellis.

Is there anyway to save the Ultimate Universe?

Is there anyway to save the Ultimate Universe?

We've discussed this here before...and I still maintain that it is completely possible to bring this books back from the grave, but they need more talented writers and better editorial decisions.

Last edited:
With out a doubt, the UU is and always was a side thing
We've discussed this here before...and I still maintain that it is completely possible to bring this books back from the grave, but they need more talented writers and better editorial decisions.

exactly

With out a doubt, the UU is and always was a side thing

Well, for awhile, the UU was so good that there was talk of it actually taking the place of 616 Marvel. Now? There's been a lot of talk of just ending it.

Well, for awhile, the UU was so good that there was talk of it actually taking the place of 616 Marvel. Now? There's been a lot of talk of just ending it.
that was just a rediculous fan rumour, it was never going to happen, even Joe Q isn't that stupid and that's saying something.

that was just a rediculous fan rumour, it was never going to happen, even Joe Q isn't that stupid and that's saying something.

But I suppose that that was my point; there was a time when I actually thought this wouldn't be a bad idea...but now I don't think even the dumbest of fans would advocate replacing 616 with the UU now.

But I suppose that that was my point; there was a time when I actually thought this wouldn't be a bad idea...but now I don't think even the dumbest of fans would advocate replacing 616 with the UU now.

it would be a horrible business decision no matter what time it would take place, plus alot of people would just call it a lame attempt to pull off a Marvel Crisis.

seriously going from something like 80 titles in the 616 to 4 in the UU, the losses would be huge (even though it wouldn't matter because marvel makes most of it's money through the movies and other licensing)

it would be a horrible business decision no matter what time it would take place, plus alot of people would just call it a lame attempt to pull off a Marvel Crisis.

seriously going from something like 80 titles in the 616 to 4 in the UU, the losses would be huge (even though it wouldn't matter because marvel makes most of it's money through the movies and other licensing)

Of course, I understand this, but there was a time when the Ultimate Universe was so good, that I wouldn't have minded if it replaced 616 Marvel.

You guys are crazy! They're sending their biggest and most popular writer, Jeph Loeb, to come in and revitalize this universe! And judging by his first Ultimate work, Ultimate Power 7, I think that's just awesome!

The Ultimate Universe isn't what is used to be, that's very true. The books have dropped in sales (and quality, but that's all opinions) which means people have/are losing interest.

While I may still enjoy the books, I can still see that Marvel has made a mistake like Coca Cola did long ago. They had this great original formula and they decided to change it. Now people think, "Wait, what the hell is this? No, thank you." and walk away. They should do like Coke did and bring that formula back. They can do it, but they just haven't.

Now, as to the question of Marvel being interested more in 616 than UU? Well, it's not for the sake of "well, let's care more of this one because we like it more" or whatever. The regular Marvel Universe is a vast one. There's so many books and events going on because it's a huge universe, that it's going to get way more attention than the Ultimate Universe regardless how the UU is doing.

The Ultimate verse is only what? Three ongoing books with minis on the side? It's not a very big place, so no matter what, it won't get as much attention as the 616 verse.

Last edited:
The Ultimate Universe only worked because it was simple and streamlined, modern and realistic. However, as time went on, it stopped. It's convulted. Nobody knows what's happening or how it fits. Our timeline master is even having problems trying to fit it in all into one continuity.

Basically, the writers/editors/whoever have ****ed the universe up because they weren't paying enough attention.

Therefore, the only way to fix this is to have Grant Morrison and JH Williams III come in and do their massive Ultimate Universe idea which ties everything together, and let them revamp the comics. Get new and exciting creative teams on the comics and have them actually make sense. Then they'd be interesting again.

Has Proj has so accurately stated there's only one man who can bring the Ultimate Universe back to life:

GrantMorrison4-2.jpg
You guys are crazy! They're sending their biggest and most popular writer, Jeph Loeb, to come in and revitalize this universe! And judging by his first Ultimate work, Ultimate Power 7, I think that's just awesome!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back