Is the Ultimate Universe stale?

Lynx

I've been seeing this a lot lately and it's got me thinking too. . .has the Ultimate Universe gone stale?

First, let me say, there's only a handful of comics I buy outside of the Ultimate Universe. These include Marvel Zombies, Supreme Power (And it's spinoffs), Fables, and Y:The Last Man. There's the occasional Vertigo series I take a look at if it looks interesting, but they rarely "stick" for me. So. . .that's two titles that aren't connected to the Ultimate U (Thanks to UFF and Ultimate Power).

There's only three titles I collect in singles anymore (Extinction, Ultimates 2 and UFF), while I've switched to HC for Spidey and X-men. Spidey stopped being truly interesting after Hollywood (Warriors was decent, but it hasn't managed to keep on the upswing for me). Kirman's killing X-men in my opinion. And Millar is leaving the Ultimate Universe after UFF #32, something I see as a shame. I even stopped collecting Wolverine vs Hulk, due to the slow pacing (I'll pick it up in trade, of course, but still).

I'll probably take a look at Ultimates 3, Carey/Ferry's UFF and Ultimate Power before I switch them to HC, but everything just seems to be degenerating into a more "hip" 616-verse. Thoughts?

Lynx said:
I'll probably take a look at Ultimates 3, Carey/Ferry's UFF and Ultimate Power before I switch them to HC, but everything just seems to be degenerating into a more "hip" 616-verse. Thoughts?
Wasn't that the idea? This wasn't supposed to be new stories, this was created to retell old stories in a newer, "hip" to use your phrase, environment.

jtg3885 said:
Wasn't that the idea? This wasn't supposed to be new stories, this was created to retell old stories in a newer, "hip" to use your phrase, environment.
And now they're reaching the point where the 616 become stale. I agreed that it is declining but I think will pick up soon, specially USM.

Some titles have been getting stale. But its not as bad as everyone would think. Here's my take on the titles:

Ultimate Spiderman - I'll give it credit....its consistingly entertaining. Not once have I read an issue and thought that maybe I should drop this title. There are some lagging issues...but when you combine them as a whole arc---they're still entertaining....in a Billy Zane as "The Phantom" kinda way. :D With almost 2 issues a month...you can't expect gold every time. But with Bendis building steam as he heads into #100...the new "Deadpool" has started strong. It's a retun to the classic Bendis rant-dialouge that made most of us fall in love with the series.

Ultimate X-Men - Probably the most entertaining series the UU has. With so many characters to juggle...it always seems as if we get just the right amount of coverage. BKV's run has to be the series' best. It was entertaining and poignant enough to retain the socio-political feel the title has always had. Whether fighting Magneto or Mojo...the comic has always felt the same. Up until recently. Kirkman and Raney have to be taken off this title before they run it into the ground anymore. We all get that its supposed to be a filler run until Singer decides he has enough time on his busy little Hollywood hands to sit down and write an arc or 2. I wish they'd just let it go and announce that he's not doing it. That way we can all move on and cry for either Kubert or BKV back.

Ultimate Fantastic 4 - The underdog of the UU. With only 3 issues an arc, the title feels rushed. When it first started the title had 5-6 issues an arc. But with the drastic cosmetic changes and bogged down sci-fi talk...the stories seemed lackluster. Fighting a metallic hobo pales in comparison to battling an alien invasion or facing Magneto on his floating fortress while shutting down a nuclear reaction. The title itself does not seem stale....but it's just hard to get behind. With Millar/Land leaving the title now faces the challenge of living up to what some believe the best the series has seen. Personally I like Ellis/Immonen's run...but whatever. I'll take naked 50ft MILFs where I can get them.

The Ultimates - The one title nobody can say bad about. Except the delays...but when its released...the sheer magnitude of awesomeness this title smacks you with cannot be denied. The only real question is who is better: 616 Cap or UU Cap?

Ultimate Galactus - The trilogy is hot or miss. It's definitely not stale. A new realistic science fiction take on a giant hungry man is a big depature from the 616 origin.....but how good the title is depends on the reader.

Ultimate Hulk Vs Wolverine - Nobody can deny the great art in the series.....but the story is kinda slow. Jumping around in time more than a Tarantino film...it takes a few reads to get it all in. Its an "ultimate" retelling of a classic 616 battle but big a departure from its origins will tell whether or not its stale.........unfortunately its too early to tell.

Last edited:
jtg3885 said:

The idea was to retell old stories that were more grounded in a contemporary setting. Yes, they were "hip", but they were also supposed to be more real (As real as superhero comics get).

Ultimates still tells the tale well, but it's the other titles that I think fail. Spider-man has worn out the teen angst angle, and I think it's a mistake to keep Spidey perpetuetly 16. We need to see him grow. X-men seems to have no direction anymore and UFF. . .while fun, is more "out there" now then I really wanted them to go (Even though the stories are good). I guess the big thing I'm seeing is a lack of direction in these stories. Spidey and X-men, in particular seem to have no purpose, even UFF doesn't seem to have any direction (Unless Millar decides to explain everything in the last issue).

Last edited:
I think most people who say that the UU is getting stale had jumped on board primarily for the novelty factor. Now that it has worn off, they have less interest in UU.

Because quality wise, it is pretty consistent.

Ultimates 2 might be stronger than it has ever been.

UXM are just 3 issue off their best arc ever IMO (Magnetic North). It will takes more than 3 average issue for me to cry wolf.

Last two arcs of USM have been Warriors and Silver Sable. Both solidly entertaining and now the Deadpool arc has had an interesting first issue.
If you re-read the whole serie you'll find out that it has been pretty damn consistent and good throughout. I know that when I lend my comics to my friend, they usually prefer USM. And reading the serie as an whole, I never hear them ***** about the Venom arc or the Hobgoblin arc (Who frankly I feel get an unwarranted amount of crap throw their way ; a weak USM arc is still far better than most other comics on the market).

UFF is a little weak for me these days but I loved it under Ellis and I'm willing to wait for the next author.

the current minis are amongs the best we've had so far.

So really, quality wise, the UU is just as strong as it has ever been.

If you got into it for the novelty of seeing new takes on old character, that schtick has gotten old. If you are just in for the stories, then you have several years of collecting still ahead of you.

I know that I got into the Ultimate Universe with a very limited exposure to 616. Most of these characters I meet for the first time so I'm definitely not in it for anything else than a good story. And I'm getting it so far.

The UU is an odd case. Its both stale and good at the same time, parts of a story may suck, like the ending of Hobgoblin, which over shadows what was good for the arc. I really enjoyed the Hobgoblin arc, I just think it fell flat at the end.

UXM not really liking it as of late some these seem interesting but just has no real direction.

Ultimates 2 how can you complain at all?

UFF never been a fan, the sceince is just WAY too out there. Other series has a good handle on the technology but UFF just goes nuts sometimes.

UE it just looks like its going to be a generic galactus thing, but only further issues can tell.

I think some of it is getting stale, in the story's AND the quality.

The Ultimates: I'm loving what's happening now, but when Loeb gets on, he's saying it's turning into a superhero vs. supervillain fight. Not interested.

Ultimate X-Men: I loved Vaughan's run, and was expecting Singer and McNiven. Then we get Kirkman's filler runs. Okay, they're bad, but I can live. And then we get news he's on UNTIL they find out when Singer is coming on. Stupid.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: I'm loving Millar's run right now, and am not too sure about Carey's space stuff.

Ultimate Spider-Man: I've said it before, it got unoriginal many arcs back. I want a new creative team on this.

I don't know maybe stale is kinda harsh a word. It's been around for a while now so it does kind of lack that "newness" it used to flaunt. But I think It's still pretty good all around. Spidey and the Ultimates is still going hard like every issue. Maybe just the X-Men and just now, and still I would much rather label it as "not as fresh". That sounds better right? :???:

P.S. I just found used the smiley for the first time on my last post so now I think I might be O.D.'ing a little bit. Or not. :)

Last edited:
Synch said:
I don't know maybe stale is kinda harsh a word. It's been around for a while now so it does kind of lack that "newness" it used to flaunt. But I think It's still pretty good all around. Spidey and the Ultimates is still going hard like every issue. Maybe just the X-Men and just now, and still I would much rather label it as "not as fresh". That sounds better right? :???:

P.S. I just found used the smiley for the first time on my last post so now I think I might be O.D.'ing a little bit. Or not. :)

Maybe you're right.

I still enjoy most of the UU. Ultimates is the best comic out there, UFF is still fun, Extinction is a great, gritty sci-fi story, and Wolverine vs Hulk is just plain awesome.

I guess it's just Spidey and X-men that seem stale. Like I said, Warriors was decent, but I didn't really enjoy Silver Sable. Deadpool is a great character, but I'm not excited about the Reavers. Morbius sounds fun and the "Clone Saga" should prove to be intresting, but we'll have to see.

X-men. . .I guess I'm just horribly dissapointed after a GREAT run by Vaughan that we get a mediocre start to Kirkman's run. And the Phoenix? arc doesn't sound much better. I usually really enjoy Kirkman (Invincible, Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies), but I guess everyone was right: he's just not good with established characters.

Ultimates 2 is the Battlestar Galactica of the comic book medium, and it isn't over for a couple issues yet. Hulk vs. Wolverine No. 1 is one of the best comics I've ever read, and was released a few months back. Last issue of UFF featured a splash-shot of zombie FF members chewing raw meat with rotten teeth. I just learned Ga Lak Tus is a colletive intelligence, and the silver surfer(s?) have four sets of teeth with which to bite you. Stale? I think we're hitting the apex here. The real challenge is where do they go from here?

Lynx said:
and Y:The Last Man.

Really? After reading the first GN, I had to re-read every Preacher in my collection to get the stink out. But hey, maybe it has hit a stride... (or we're just very, very different people, you and I :wink:)

plungingforward said:
Ultimates 2 is the Battlestar Galactica of the comic book medium, and it isn't over for a couple issues yet. Hulk vs. Wolverine No. 1 is one of the best comics I've ever read, and was released a few months back. Last issue of UFF featured a splash-shot of zombie FF members chewing raw meat with rotten teeth. I just learned Ga Lak Tus is a colletive intelligence, and the silver surfer(s?) have four sets of teeth with which to bite you. Stale? I think we're hitting the apex here. The real challenge is where do they go from here?

Really? After reading the first GN, I had to re-read every Preacher in my collection to get the stink out. But hey, maybe it has hit a stride... (or we're just very, very different people, you and I :wink:)

Y's great.

Preacher's better, though. Same with Fables.

I have never seen the point in *****ing about a product on the site dedicated to that product.

I have a great idea - how about y'all make "I'M NOT HAPPY WITH ULTIMATE UNIVERSE CENTRAL" and y'all can ***** to yourselves there. Frankly, I'm tired of reading it. Constructive criticism is one thing - it get's you thinking, constant complaining gets old REAL quick. Then there are those that have felt they need attention by telling us "I'm dropping this title" or "I dropped that title." Waaaaaaaaaa. Find a mommy to change your diapers so you shut the HELL up. I don't care that you dropped the titles. You aren't reading them and that's suppossed to impress or influence me? Hardly.

If you really think that Marvel or their editorial staff care what we say up here you've got another thing coming. You want to make a change? Get a job at Marvel (and kiss Avad's *** so he let's you take over the Ultimate line) or write your own book (and not useless Fan Fiction, either!) and publish it independantly.

And I quit tobacco 3 weeks ago. So that answers what crawled up my *** and died.

leather_w0lf said:
And I quit tobacco 3 weeks ago. So that answers what crawled up my *** and died.
I was gonna say man, geez. Just don't read the thread. But I do agree that people complain a lot over nothing

leather_w0lf said:
I have never seen the point in *****ing about a product on the site dedicated to that product.

That doesn't make for a very interesting site.

leather_w0lf said:
Then there are those that have felt they need attention by telling us "I'm dropping this title" or "I dropped that title." Waaaaaaaaaa.

That I'll agree with.

leather_w0lf said:

I have a great idea - how about y'all make "I'M NOT HAPPY WITH ULTIMATE UNIVERSE CENTRAL" and y'all can ***** to yourselves there. Frankly, I'm tired of reading it. Constructive criticism is one thing - it get's you thinking, constant complaining gets old REAL quick. Then there are those that have felt they need attention by telling us "I'm dropping this title" or "I dropped that title." Waaaaaaaaaa. Find a mommy to change your diapers so you shut the HELL up. I don't care that you dropped the titles. You aren't reading them and that's suppossed to impress or influence me? Hardly.

If you really think that Marvel or their editorial staff care what we say up here you've got another thing coming. You want to make a change? Get a job at Marvel (and kiss Avad's *** so he let's you take over the Ultimate line) or write your own book (and not useless Fan Fiction, either!) and publish it independantly.

I'm not dropping the titles, far from it. The Ultimate Universe is still better then 616. I'm just asking what's everyone's general consensus about the state of the Ultimate Universe.

I've reevaluated my thoguhts and came up with basically just USM and UXM being stale (And, ironically, these two are the oldest titles.) USM needs a creative team change, in my opinion. Bendis has worn his ideas for the title thin, in my mind. As for UXM, it's problems are twofold. First, the prospect of Singer comming on has basically made everything from Bendis' run to current a big build up. Luckily, Vaughan made the title great regardless of where the title was going. The second problem, however, is Kirman. He's made the title bland, and the next arc doesn't sound any better than the first. What's even worse is he's on the title indefinetly until Singer decides to jump on.

Ultimates is still amazing, as are the two current minis (Extinction and Wolverine vs Hulk). UFF, for me at least, remains a very fun title. Ultimates 3, Carey on UFF, and Ultimate Power sound good, but we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe when USM hits 100 and UXM finally gets Singer, those titles will those their "building up" feel and start being good again.

TY guys for understanding my post. Yes, I am just complaining myself, and I did think that mebbe I shouldn't care about the negative posts and simply ignore them, but I said to myself "SELF! If they're gonna complain, so should you!" lol.

heh heh heh.

My hypocrisy preceeds me.

I just think that they are not "new" anymore. When they first came out they were this brand new twist on the alternate universe concept. But now they are just a comic book to read like all the others. A good comic book to read.

Latest posts

Back