Is Ultimate Extinction Really Needed???

Vic, this was set all post Ultimates vol. 2, did you really expect anything to go down that would cause an everlasting effect? The reason why this wasn't mentioned in Ultimates 2 or any of the other titles is because a)it would have ruined the ending and b) Ellis still hadn't finished it. Remember the massive delays? Those are what costed this mini more than the ending. If this was actually on time, then I think it would have made a fine mini. Plus you got excellent Ellis Ultimizations in Mahr vel, Falcon and Silver Surfer. IF Bendis did these guys, they would have been complete trash.

So take the story as it was, a way to try a new telling of an old idea, and move on.

Ultimate Houde said:
you got excellent Ellis Ultimizations in Mahr vel, Falcon and Silver Surfer.

Now all we gotta do is see if they'll be used again. I can totally see Falcon as being used as a mainstay in U3.

Zombipanda said:
And Ultimate Misty Knight is useless.
Word! What a dissapointment. I wish she had never even been in the book. Then, I could wonder what she would be like again.

Synch said:
Word! What a dissapointment. I wish she had never even been in the book. Then, I could wonder what she would be like again.

I knew it was all over with "Move over Captain Whitey! You just a jive turkey sucker! Can I hear a 'black power'!?"

Ahem, anyway. Yeah, I definitely see Falcon getting some use. Vision is getting her own mini. But then again, those two characters are from Secret and Nightmare... The real question is, are Moondragon, Silver Surfer, and Misty Knight any use?

Zombipanda said:
I knew it was all over with "Move over Captain Whitey!

There were hints before this, but Zombipanda really nailed the turning point. I've felt a little different about Ellis ever since. "Captain Whitey?"
Never mind the circumstances of the situation (which suffered from a serious bout of hey thanks for saving my life here let me give you some sour attitude for no apparent reason other than a bad or lazy writer would think that this is what a "tough-black-chick" character ought to do-itis.) This is 2006 — who the HELL talks like that?

Last edited:
As long as it works, don't care. I think that worked for the most part, but doesn't mean I'm saying it was "Excellent" by any means. That could have been handled better.

Huh.

I thought "Captain Whitey" was awesome.

In fact, I'm considering changing my user name to "Captain Whitey".

Victor Von Doom said:
You don't have the juevos.

You're right. I don't.

I do to change TOG's though. :D

So is Ultimate Extinction really needed?

I say yes. This may have ended on an 'ok' note, maybe even a 'bad' one to some people, but what other way would something like this have been taken care of? I know that some people didn't like that it didn't really have any ramifications throught the universe after something like this, but you can't forget (as some of us have), this takes place in between two volumes of Ultimates, meaning in the past for everyone, so of course we should've seen that coming. So this begs the question, "Who's idea was this to set this in the past?" Because having this set in the past, you have to end it in a way that it doesn't contradict contiunity in the present times of the books.

I know Mark Millar said this took place in between Ultimates volumes 1 and 2, but that doesn't mean it was his idea for it to happen there.

Think on that.

Last edited:
Ice said:
So is Ultimate Extinction really needed?

I say yes.

In retrospect...yes it was need. But for closure purposes only, so as Nightmare and Secret weren't for nothing.

Ice said:
"Who's idea was this to set this in the past?"

Good question. To be quite honest---I don't think there was a good time to do this. If you set it in the past...as you say--you have to end it in a way that it doesn't mess up the contiunity in the present times. But if you set it in the future--that forces writers to come up with events that could possibly interfere with plans they had for certain characters/plots.

I think this would've been better suited as a major arc for say just a single title like say UFF. But in doing so you end up limiting the sheer magnitude of the character Galactus. If a single super team can handle this guy...is he really a global threat or just a really big supervillain?

So yeah....I think this should've been thought out a bit more amongst the writers of the UU.

That's true about also setting it in the future. So that's why something like this should've been set something along like in the present times. Or at least, something that doesn't force your hand, which it basically did for Ellis.

But I don't think that this is better suited for just like the FF. Something on the grand scale such as this does need to be it's own mini with characters from not just one title, because this type of situation affects everyone, not just one set of characters.

Last edited:
Ice said:
But I don't think that this is better suited for just like the FF. Something on the grand scale such as this does need to be it's own mini with characters from not just one title, because this type of situation affects everyone, not just one set of characters.

It was merely an "off the top" suggestion. Not my idea set in stone. As I said---if you limit this to one specific title you diminish the scale and menace of Galactus.

So while this would be better suited for its own mini---the main problem is timing/continuity.

Latest posts

Back