How would you rate Avatar?

• Total voters

Doublehex

Otherwise known as "HOLY **** JAMES CAMERON MAKES HIS 12 YEAR DEBUT" Movie.

It is also an absolutely phenomenal movie experience. I think I somewhat understand what it was like for all those movie goers to go see STAR WARS for the very first time.

Did anyone else besides me realize that the final battle was essentially the big bad battle at ALIENS in reverse?

Also: thread pages until Bass posts a long, well thought out post on how Cameron could have made it even better.

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed with it. Yes, it was visually amazing, but if I can't feel anything for it, it doesn't matter. See: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen.

I wanted a movie about aliens. I got a movie about Africans. Plain and simple, right down to the dreadlocks, cornrows, lobe-plugs and French/Afrikaans accents despite learning English from an American.

The villains were straw and the morals were shallow, obvious, done-to-death. I really just wanted so much more creativity. It could've taken place on some sort of "lost continent" on Earth, with black people, and been the same movie. So yawn. YAWN. I didn't do it for me.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to go see this by myself. I don't like the idea of that but I really want to see it.

I think I'm going to have to go see this by myself. I don't like the idea of that but I really want to see it.

I did. :(

There were less distractions though. :)

I have no idea what to think of this movie. I'll probably end up seeing it, but I can't stop thinking of it as "the one without the bending bald kid."

Hopefully that attitude will change.

Saw it. Loved it. Sure the plot was basically Pocahontas but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'll give it four stars for the visuals alone.

This. Was. INCREDIBLE. I totally get the comparisons with Star Wars, even though I wasn't alive when Star Wars did what it did when it came out. But I get it.

So imagine Star Wars and all it did for movies, except with a more solid story and even better mind-blowing concepts. That's Avatar.

I think it is my new favorite movie.

Has James Cameron said or hinted anything about future projects? I know the concept of the Avatar has been removed but I can't believe having planned this movie for 12-odd years that he hasn't come up with some kind of blue print for a franchise.

And I was lucky I didn't have to see it by myself - my dad went with me. But I would totally go back and see it by myself.

I also swiped the 3D glasses. :-D

Has James Cameron said or hinted anything about future projects? I know the concept of the Avatar has been removed but I can't believe having planned this movie for 12-odd years that he hasn't come up with some kind of blue print for a franchise.

I'm pretty sure there are ideas for two sequels - in fact, that was part of the original budget negotiation. The renderings would already be ready for a sequel.

He also wants to write a novel.

I'm pretty sure there are ideas for two sequels - in fact, that was part of the original budget negotiation. The renderings would already be ready for a sequel.

He also wants to write a novel.

Awesome.

My first thought after I saw it was I was disappointed that my son wouldn't be able to see it in IMAX 3D and get the whole experience. Maybe there's a chance.

Added a poll. I didn't even think it was that great of a movie but I gave it a 5 just for the awesome experience.

This. Was. INCREDIBLE. I totally get the comparisons with Star Wars, even though I wasn't alive when Star Wars did what it did when it came out. But I get it.

So imagine Star Wars and all it did for movies, except with a more solid story and even better mind-blowing concepts. That's Avatar.

I think it is my new favorite movie.

And I was lucky I didn't have to see it by myself - my dad went with me. But I would totally go back and see it by myself.

I also swiped the 3D glasses. :-D

Actually, his next plan is to adapt Yokito Koshiro's GUNNM (Battle Angel Alita in the US). That's the big project he's been trying for since before Titanic.

He's been wanting to do AVATAR just as long, though.

Whatever Cameron does next, I'll be waiting for with great anticipation.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't believe I forgot this. I really, really, really like the music James Horner did for this movie. It's almost a minor miracle that we get a near totally classical orchestral score in the Age of Zimmer. Track 10
The Destruction of Hometree
is my utmost favorite, but I am pleasantly surprised by Jake's First Flight.

Last edited:
i liked this movie. the visuals alone warrant an A rating. i thought the story was pretty good too, even if it was more or less a rehashing of "Dances with Wolves".

hopefully i'll get a chance to see this again on Imax.

I can't wait to take my little siblings to this. When I was watching this, all the minor flaws I found I knew they would have absolutely no issue with.

It's interesting how I like this score so much. It just sounds so much like a bunch of other orchestral scores. But it just sounds so pleasing to the ears.

Oh, and Fiedel no longer works in the film composing industry. The last time he did a film was in 1995.

And as nice as the Terminator scores were, I'm glad Cameron went with Horner. Synth just doesn't work with the type of story this story was trying to tell. It's like saying John Williams should of had gone all synth with Star Wars.

But then again, I am wicked biased against synth, so.... :twisted:

Latest posts

Back