Jessica Jones (Marvel/Netflix) [Spoilers]

Re: AKA Jessica Jones (Marvel/Netflix)

It was said the show was starting to film this month because it was going to be released in the last quarter of the year.

Synopsis:

"Ever since her short-lived stint as a Super Hero ended in tragedy, Jessica Jones has been rebuilding her personal life and career as a hot-tempered, sardonic, badass private detective in Hell's Kitchen, New York City. Plagued by self-loathing, and a wicked case of PTSD, Jessica battles demons from within and without, using her extraordinary abilities as an unlikely champion for those in need… especially if they're willing to cut her a check."

Bendis posted this on Tumblr last night
tumblr_np3mmurziT1qab0apo1_1280.jpg

Re: Jessica Jones (Marvel/Netflix)

I'm antsy for a release date announcement.

Not that this means a WHOLE lot, but the release date for Daredevil season 1 was announced on Jan 7, three months before it was dropped on Netflix (April 10). If they follow the same pattern, and if Jessica Jones really is going to come out in 2015, we should get an announcement before the end of September.

Also, DD started filming in July and was released 9 months later in April. Jessica Jones started filming in February, which would set it up for a November release if they follow the same production schedule as DD.

I'm assuming it'll release in early or mid October. Mainly since the Netflix CEO (think it was the CEO anyway) mentioned they aimed to release them every six months. That'd also set up Daredevil Season 2 for April, 2016, and Luke Cage in late 2016 hopefully. It's also entirely possible it'll release in November or December as well.

I do think we'll get an official announcement from Netflix in the next month or two regarding its release date.

I'm assuming it'll release in early or mid October. Mainly since the Netflix CEO (think it was the CEO anyway) mentioned they aimed to release them every six months. That'd also set up Daredevil Season 2 for April, 2016, and Luke Cage in late 2016 hopefully. It's also entirely possible it'll release in November or December as well.

I do think we'll get an official announcement from Netflix in the next month or two regarding its release date.

Yeah, I think they said roughly six months, so I'm thinking October/November.

I'm also concerned about this show a little bit, considering the story. I don't want to watch Kilgrave manipulate and torture Jessica and others. If it's portrayed with some subtlety and restraint, that's one thing, but Melissa Rosenburg has stated that they are going to go "even further" than the Alias comics did.

Melissa Rosenburg:
It all starts with Brian Michael Bendis's Alias series. He created this incredibly flawed, damaged interesting character. Regardless of gender, it was the character that drew me. He wasn't afraid to go there and we went even further. We've gone further in all of our storytelling.

Well, is the audience going to respond to this or not? I don't know, but if I'm afraid of it I'm doing the right thing.

Yeah, I think they said roughly six months, so I'm thinking October/November.

I'm also concerned about this show a little bit, considering the story. I don't want to watch Kilgrave manipulate and torture Jessica and others. If it's portrayed with some subtlety and restraint, that's one thing, but Melissa Rosenburg has stated that they are going to go "even further" than the Alias comics did.

Melissa Rosenburg:

I don't take that quote to necessarily mean they're going to take the "gratuity" aspect of Alias even further, merely delve deeper into the character and her world, and expand on and flesh (excuse the pun) them out more in the show.

I don't take that quote to necessarily mean they're going to take the "gratuity" aspect of Alias even further, merely delve deeper into the character and her world, and expand on and flesh (excuse the pun) them out more in the show.

All the comic/entertainment news websites I've seen it on seem to interpret it the other way. It's hard to know if their just click baiting or if there was more to the conversation that isn't in the articles that back up their understanding of the quote.

I kinda want this to show the 8 months that she was missing. Just all the torture and exploitation she went through ending in her showing up at the Avengers,

Can I ask why you want to watch that?

So it's that more powerful when she overcomes it. That was the only part of Alias it didn't really go into. A lot can happen in eight months. Plus they can change it so that instead of disappearing Purple Man and her are friends (or something) amd ever time they meet she ends up being controlled. This goes on for eight months 4-5 times a week. That'd be devastating.

So it's that more powerful when she overcomes it. That was the only part of Alias it didn't really go into. A lot can happen in eight months. Plus they can change it so that instead of disappearing Purple Man and her are friends (or something) amd ever time they meet she ends up being controlled. This goes on for eight months 4-5 times a week. That'd be devastating.

I think showing that actually strips it of a lot of the suspense, horror, worry, and anticipation for the audience who wonder exactly what happened. Keep them wondering to some degree, is my preference.

There's also a likely undeniable and unnecessary element of gratuity that would have to be explored in that sense, and it's likely not appropriate for Netflix, Marvel, or the audience they're aiming the show for.

Does she remember that she's being controlled? If so, why would she go back?

I think showing that actually strips it of a lot of the suspense, horror, worry, and anticipation for the audience who wonder exactly what happened. Keep them wondering to some degree, is my preference.

There's also a likely undeniable and unnecessary element of gratuity that would have to be explored in that sense, and it's likely not appropriate for Netflix, Marvel, or the audience they're aiming the show for.

I think it's actually gratuitousness, not gratuity. But I know what you mean.

I would actually love if they could do it without showing nudity or explicit sexuality. Purpleman is horrifying. He uses mind control for the absolute worst purposes, and Jessica's story is pretty awful. I don't think most people want to see that kind of abuse portrayed - I know I don't. Leaving it to the imagination is much better, in my opinion. I think taking it too far will hurt the show, not help it. We don't need to see it to get the depth of Jessica's trauma.

Last edited:
Jessica Jones (Marvel/Netflix)

Jessica Jones episode titles leak...

Love those titles. Seems they're using the "AKA" at the beginning of each episode title.

I imagine this also means an official announcement soon about its premiere date (probably a month or so before they're actually released).

Thinking we'll get an announcement in early to mid September and they'll premiere in mid October.

I think it's actually gratuitousness, not gratuity. But I know what you mean.

KristenRitter.jpg

I would actually love if they could do it without showing nudity or explicit sexuality. Purpleman is horrifying. He uses mind control for the absolute worst purposes, and Jessica's story is pretty awful. I don't think most people want to see that kind of abuse portrayed - I know I don't. Leaving it to the imagination is much better, in my opinion. I think taking it too far will hurt the show, not help it. We don't need to see it to get the depth of Jessica's trauma.

Yup.

I don't think there'll be nudity... that's a bit over the top for Marvel, and it is still their property and they still retain a large amount of creative control over the Netflix shows. I expect this show to be more of a PG-13 approach to the comic, and I'm ok with that.

As has been said, the imagination always trumps reality... even a fictional reality portrayed onscreen.

Actually showing the abuse is kind of tasteless and absolutely unnecessary. It just becomes a form of torture ****, and is not at all required or inherently necessary to be shown to convey the fact it happened.

Plus, as said; it's still a Marvel show, so I wouldn't expect it to go into that territory anyway. Darker than the films, sure, but not David Fincher/Lars von Trier dark.

They can definitely touch on it and established it happened through quick flashbacks that don't portray the more extreme abuse outright. Establishing it happened (assuming that's the avenue they're taking with the show) is important... actually showing it happening isn't. Just depends on how the show runners choose to delve into it.

Something tells me they're not going to spend too much time on that, as it seems the show is more about her overcoming that and moving on with her life and investigation firm. They'll establish it happened, and through dialogue and scenes between Jessica and Killgrave in modern day (which can be utilized to offer glimpses of that past abide, without focusing on it... needs no more than a few seconds or a minute or two at most to establish how sick and twisted it was... and again, that assumes they'll follow that plot from the comics... they may not take it that far or take it in a different direction).

Last edited:

Jessica Jones episode titles leak...

Love those titles. Seems they're using the "AKA" at the beginning of each episode title.
Cool. I like
AKA Jewel and the Power Man
. I wonder how much they'll go into her history as a super hero.

I imagine this also means an official announcement soon about its premiere date (probably a month or so before they're actually released).

Thinking we'll get an announcement in early to mid September and they'll premiere in mid October.
That would be sweet.

DavidTennantMussedHairstyle.jpg~original

Yup.

I don't think there'll be nudity... that's a bit over the top for Marvel, and it is still their property and they still retain a large amount of creative control over the Netflix shows. I expect this show to be more of a PG-13 approach to the comic, and I'm ok with that.

As has been said, the imagination always trumps reality... even a fictional reality portrayed onscreen.

Actually showing the abuse is kind of tasteless and absolutely unnecessary. It just becomes a form of torture ****, and is not at all required or inherently necessary to be shown to convey the fact it happened.

Plus, as said; it's still a Marvel show, so I wouldn't expect it to go into that territory anyway. Darker than the films, sure, but not David Fincher/Lars von Trier dark.

They can definitely touch on it and established it happened through quick flashbacks that don't portray the more extreme abuse outright. Establishing it happened (assuming that's the avenue they're taking with the show) is important... actually showing it happening isn't. Just depends on how the show runners choose to delve into it.

Something tells me they're not going to spend too much time on that, as it seems the show is more about her overcoming that and moving on with her life and investigation firm. They'll establish it happened, and through dialogue and scenes between Jessica and Killgrave in modern day (which can be utilized to offer glimpses of that past abide, without focusing on it... needs no more than a few seconds or a minute or two at most to establish how sick and twisted it was... and again, that assumes they'll follow that plot from the comics... they may not take it that far or take it in a different direction).

I'm glad you agree and think they'll be tasteful. I want to be able to watch and enjoy this!

My brain goes to a lot worse places than they actually probably went, so for me I'd rather not think of Jessica Jones tying up 12 people, putting them, alive, on me meat hooks with the hook going through their rib cage and brutally murdering each member of said victims family in front of them one by one when really she just robbed a bank and got it on the regular. I know, I'm messed up.

Krysten Ritter Teases Jessica Jones Romance With Luke Cage

When translating Marvel's Jessica Jones, an adult-orient comic book series created by Michael Brian Bendis, you have to wonder how much of that riskier material will make it into the Netflix series. We now know Marvel won't shy away from the character's sexual side as Ritter revealed that she and Mike Colter, who plays Luke Cage, filmed multiple sex scenes together. "At the end of the day, I also knew Mike had my back," Ritter begun. "Whether we were doing stunts together, or love-making scenes, which I'm not very comfortable with."

The show just wrapped filming, so Ritter hasn't seen much of it yet, outside of scenes that required her to re-record some dialogue. Though, she said the material she did "see was so rad that it almost brought me to tears."

Latest posts

Back