Jonah Hex discussion

Bass

Nexus of the World
The first issue rocks.

It's a self-contained story.

Actually - it's two stories, but one of them is only three pages long.

It's really lots of fun, and I'd recommend it. Good, ol' western fare.

I thought about getting this, but I started getting 7 Soldiers instead.

Tsk tsk.

See, you people all by too many bad comics. You should wait until my fact-opinions are released before purchasing your consumer goods.

I got it. I've been following Palmotti-Grey's Hawkman pretty enthusiasticly, so when it was announced that they were taking on Jonnah Hex, one of my all time favorite characters I jumped on the book. The first issue was wonderfuly moraly ambiguous, and Hex looks great. Plus each issue is supposed to be a self contained story. Theres no reason for people to not atelast try!

I've been waiting for this ever since I saw the previews. Great character. Kind of an old West take on Desolation Jones. Don't let Bass' endorsement put you off: It's really good.

It's written by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti (whom I remember for their work on the supremely under-appreciated The Monolith for DC), with art by Luke Ross, whom I've never heard of. Might as well look him up. Covers are done by Frank Quiety. Here's what the first issue looks like:

jonahhex1.jpg

This is not a modern comics reinvention of Jonah, nor even a darkly twisted Vertigo version ala Lansdale and Truman, it is a straightforward western adventure story with a grim but ultimately noble (by the standards of his time) hero, and a self-contained first issue to boot. Those seeking something more along the lines of Deadwood might want to cast their eyes to Vertigo's Loveless, but if you've got a taste for adventurous westerns that are a little bit more glammed up but not without their violent edge, you could do a lot worse than the well written and beautifully drawn first issue of Jonah Hex. - Randy Ladner at FourthRail.com
from http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/snapjudgments/103105/jonahhex1.shtml

Last edited:
compound said:
It's written by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti (whom I remember for their work on the supremely under-appreciated The Monolith for DC), with art by Luke Ross, whom I've never heard of. Might as well look him up. Covers are done by Frank Quiety. Here's what the first issue looks like:

jonahhex1.jpg

from http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/snapjudgments/103105/jonahhex1.shtml
Yeah, I saw it come into today's shipment at the Makati Filbars, but I automatically passed on it because me = no budget. I did however, buy the entire Spider-Man/Human Torch miniseries in singles at the clearance bin for $3 today, so yay for me.

Will consider Hex on trade depending on what hindsight critique says about it. And so I can have a token DC book in my purchases this year.

ourchair said:
Will consider Hex on trade depending on what hindsight critique says about it. And so I can have a token DC book in my purchases this year.
Each issue is meant to be self-contained, I believe. No harm in picking up this one... or waiting to see if it eventually becomes bargain price fodder (for better or worse).

ourchair said:
I did however, buy the entire Spider-Man/Human Torch miniseries in singles at the clearance bin for $3 today, so yay for me.
You suck for automatically converting all prices into dollars! Where's your sense of national pride, you bleached, skin-whitening coconut? :wink:

Start a thread about it here!

compound said:
You suck for automatically converting all prices into dollars! Where's your sense of national pride, you bleached, skin-whitening coconut? :wink:
I was going to say ahmerikan pesos, but Ahmmaircah is so hard to spell.

This is definitely worth picking up. It's a totally self-contained story with an outrageously original character (I almost don't want to know his origin) and the interior art is even better than the cover. Great pacing and the atmosphere is addictively creepy. I hope this sells enough to keep going.

I read this today. At first I kind of inwardly groaned because of the Western setting, but after the first couple pages I was hooked.

I like the idea of the self-contained issue (it's what got me into trying Fell by Warren Ellis), and I had never heard of this character (I'm assuming from one of the posts above that he's an existing character - didn't know that), but it did a GREAT job of setting the tone for him. I felt like I found out just what I needed to know and that there was plenty of opportunity to learn more when the story warrants.

So thanks to Bass and J.Q.P. for the recommendation - good stuff.

I don't know if this was a new incarnation of a previous character; maybe Bass does. I just saw the ads that everybody complains about in other comics and it reminded me of Desolation Jones, which I like quite a lot. The fact is, this is nicely layered with the one-shot story and the ominous (and scary) foreboding about who this guy is. It's the episodic adventures of a guy whose eerie origin is pure spooky subtext. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE HELL HE COMES FROM!

Last edited:
Come on guys. You had to atleast have seen the episode of Batman: The Animated Series with him in it. Remember, Batman and Robin were fighting Ra's Al'Gul and he left them sitting with a tape. On it was a story about a gunfighter (Hex) who encountered Al'Gul's mad son 100 some years ago. It was one of the series best episodes.

And theres really no origin for him (That I know of) aside from a little backstory (Fought for the wrong side in the civil war, got his faced tore up at some point). He's just a great character design used in some very gritty western tales. And some bad Sci Fi ones.

There were a few Vertigo minis a couple of years ago that used him. I have on traded, it was pretty good. Had a more horror bent to it.

All I knew of Jonah Hex before this issue was the Batman cartoon Baxter mentions.

Six issues to introduce a character? My ***, Bendis. My. ***.

Last edited:
Bass said:
All I knew of Jonah Hex before this issue was the Batman cartoon Baxter mentions.

Six issues to introduce a character? My ***, Bendis. My. ***.
I'm planning to get the Showcase Presents Jonah Hex too, so expect massive Hexisms from me within the week.

thee great one said:
That and a episode I seen where the Justice League go back in time and meet him and some others.
He was in Crisis on Infinate Earths too. Remember that?

Latest posts

Back