Kingdom Come (Spoilers)

I have two major problems with Kingdom Come. And I have to preface by saying I *liked* it. It just came up short. And it is nowhere near as epic as people seem to think it is.

1) It came up way short as far as the Revelations/biblical end times parallels. And it was a shame because they had all of the pieces in place and seemed to have the right characters for it. I mean, Superman as the second coming of the Messiah? That could have been brilliant. But it wasn't.

2) It was ripped off of Alan Moore. Mark Waid half admitted it while insisting that it wasn't. To be fair I have avoided reading Twilight of the Superheros like the plague so I don't know which parts were/weren't, so it's probably not fair that I say this. But the point is that it has been said/accused by others so I can't get that out of my mind.

After I read it, it came off like fanboy wankery just to get Superman and Wonder Woman together.

I have two major problems with Kingdom Come. And I have to preface by saying I *liked* it. It just came up short. And it is nowhere near as epic as people seem to think it is.

1) It came up way short as far as the Revelations/biblical end times parallels. And it was a shame because they had all of the pieces in place and seemed to have the right characters for it. I mean, Superman as the second coming of the Messiah? That could have been brilliant. But it wasn't.
I agree with this, it could have been more epic, we could of had major **** going down. But we got a confusing battle against people I never heard of. I feel if it was longer we would have gotten a more satisfying exposition into this future as well as a more epic final battle. I think we should have seen one of the priest's visions of Armageddon, what Superman would have done if the priest did get involved. How after destroying the UN the world would end.
After I read it, it came off like fanboy wankery just to get Superman and Wonder Woman together.

I didn't see it like that

While I can understand your disappointment, but maybe the Biblical stuff was too hyped up for you? I knew nothing about the Biblical stuff in the book before I read it and thought it was great. Maybe you were expecting too much of it?

2) It was ripped off of Alan Moore. Mark Waid half admitted it while insisting that it wasn't. To be fair I have avoided reading Twilight of the Superheros like the plague so I don't know which parts were/weren't, so it's probably not fair that I say this. But the point is that it has been said/accused by others so I can't get that out of my mind.

It's not really ripped off of Alan Moore. The only things that similar are that it's an epic end to the DC Universe and that there are fights within the superhuman community. DSF has explained it here before: http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246026&postcount=65

While I can understand your disappointment, but maybe the Biblical stuff was too hyped up for you? I knew nothing about the Biblical stuff in the book before I read it and thought it was great. Maybe you were expecting too much of it?

Very well could be. But it started off in that direction and just sputtered...if it had been some crazy fan drawing parallels that would be one thing, but the book seemed like it was going that way then just didn't finish the job.

:furious: Me. Too.

It sort of made sense in the context of the story, but that's basically all it was. They had no chemistry throughout the story and the ending instantly made it absolute anti-canon for me. Superman and Batman are a better couple than Superman and Wonder Woman. Superman has to end up with Lois.

Every time I hear a comic writer (sometimes Miller, sometimes others) say something about how Superman should be screwing around with Wonder Woman because they've both got powers and it makes more sense, I want to lose faith in the industry.

Last edited:
I saw Constantine the film (constanteen). There's no thread for it but i thought i'd say here.

I liked it. It's given me ideas for a Twilight of Superheroe's film. cuz as a comic it's already been done pretty much (and it'd feel a little dated even if kingdom come wasn't made)....and cuz kingdom come is already such a beautiful comic it why make a film of it. but I think a Twilight film could work....perhaps way down the line or perhaps an animation.

Latest posts

Back