Kirkman shows off sketches from Ultimate X-Men #73

the watcher

Heres some sketches I found of Ultimate X-Men #73, as posted on Kirkman's Buy My Books.

Ux_73_02.jpg

Ux_73_03.jpg

Ux_73_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sketches from Ultimate X-Men #73

Watcher, don't forget to post the link to where you got it from. Very important.

But thanks for the post. Sketches look pretty good.

THE best thing about the ultimate universe is Nick Fury and how he is tied into it all. It's such a great character and helps bring all of the books together under the same banner. This is currently missing from the 616 universe. I'm glad to see that the Prof X and Nick Fury relationship is being revisited. That's a long standing plot point.

From these sketches I deduce that Kitty is flurting with the Magician, Bobby calls her on it and she gets offended. Scott is moping because he got shown up by the Magician and Storm tries to console him. Then we see Xavier with Fury. I would say Fury is concerned about controlling the kid and Xavier shares some of Fury's concerns. Fury wants to find some way to put a permanent leash on the kid while Xavier is in favor of his standard mental block with psychotherapy.

Last edited:

Looks good. Hope the coloring doesn't mess it up.

sketches look good. If the scene is anything like MaxwellSmart thinks, this would make the previous issues better for me because I felt the only thing that was missing was their reaction's to The Magician.

Rogue looks cute again!

Hi-Fi said:
Rogue looks cute again!
How can you tell? They only show her in one panel and she only takes up about one square inch.

MaxwellSmart said:
How can you tell? They only show her in one panel and she only takes up about one square inch.

Well, in that one panel she looks cute to me. It's not like she's in Wasp size, you know?

And once again, Jean and Nightcrawler skip a mission.

Last edited:

wonder why the sketches always have so many damn x's.

I speculate (because i've never done it myself) that the x's serve a few purposes. One has to do with perspective and placement because the writer has indicated where certain things are to go. Such as text bubbles. Two has to do with telling the inker and colorist things about the page.

Idle speculation from a non-artist...

I believe the Xs are indicators to the inker and/or colorist for black.

E said:
I believe the Xs are indicators to the inker and/or colorist for black.
That's probably right, but, if I were an inker, that would strike me as condescending.

Last edited:
Well, Cyclops looks good. I think the colouring will ruin this, though.

The sketches are real impressive. Of what we've seen, Raney seems to be improving on his drawing. I've always thought he's got a lot of potential. The coloring typically DOES ruin his stuff, though. Oh, well.

I think the conversation that Scott and Storm are having is about Jean. Magician is listening in because, somehow, he's got something to do with her being the Phoenix. That's just a guess, though.

Goodwill said:
I think the conversation that Scott and Storm are having is about Jean. Magician is listening in because, somehow, he's got something to do with her being the Phoenix. That's just a guess, though.
Wait, wait, wait. How does the Magician have to do with anything on Jean being the Phoenix? :sure:

Latest posts

Back