Le Grand Depart (Y: The Last Man Spoilers)

What caused Le Grand Depart?

• The Amulet of Helene's removal from the Nation of Jordan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Culper Ring's war against China

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I was just reading the wikipedia entry for Y: The Last Man and didn't even realize the plague that wiped out every organism with a Y chromosome was left open ended. Probably because I'm stubborn and accepted the answer I favored and never thought about it again. But apparently BKV said it was left open ended and could have been any of the 4 explanations given. So I thought it would make a good poll.

The causes of Le Grand Depart presented in the book;

1. The Amulet of Helene being removed from the nation of Jordan. The amulet's owner warned that if it was ever taken from its homeland, it would create a tragedy greater than the Trojan War.

2. The successful cloning of a human female (which renders the reproductive role of men unnecessary) caused the Earth to "course correct" itself and eliminate all males.

3. A combination of Dr. Matsumori's attempt to kill his daughter's unborn clone fetus by injecting a capuchin monkey (Ampersand) with a toxin engineered to target the clone's specific genetic code with a form of morphic resonance.

4. The Culper Ring, who may have created a chemical agent designed to prevent women from conceiving male children. This agent was introduced into in China to cripple their economy, however, something went wrong, and the chemical agent instead killed males of all ages.

I think it was fate. There were too many things leading to it, so it's impossible to just pick one. It is a combination of all four which led to the extinction of men.

I think it's something that wasn't so prevalent in the series, a fifth description we haven't found out yet.

The whole rats thing had me confused. It makes me wonder what is going on about that, if it wasn't for that I would have gone with Dr. Mann's description.

Last edited:
The true answer is Paris Hilton's herpes mutated into a lethal virus which was airborne (she probably queefed it out) and killed all the men.

FACT.

That's too gross to be argued with. It must be fact.

Latest posts

Back