Live Action Akira

That's Los Angelos.:wink:

Really? I think it's stupid to do this with Americans, but DiCaprio has shown time and again that he's a fantastic, very versitile actor. I look forward to seeing him in this.

He's better than Eva Mendez.

I know you didn't go there! Although...I never said he was a bad actor. I just hate him. I loved Romeo and Juliet and a few other I can't name...Blood Diamond...that's about all that comes to mind. Oh and there was another one where he had a bostonian accent, that one I didn't like so much. Oh and aviator, that movie was aweful.

Ok so one of the biggest things in the movie dealt with the main characters, who happened to be borderline high school dropouts with nothing better to do than fight rival biker gangs and outrun the police when nightfall arrived. Oh and pop pills at a local underground diner. These kids were rebels in their own way.

being the age they are, I think it's a little ridiculous that the main characters are being protrayed by middle aged men. With that said, I'm pretty sure they're going to completely change the whole character setup which is going to have to change the movie setup, no? The main thing you have to remember is that these "kids" are being to by the world at large, there's nothing you can do to help, let the grown ups handle it. Well we all know how the grown ups handle it. So basically it becomes one kids mission to save his friend from complete self annihilation without knowing what he's getting himself into. I don't think adults necessarily think like that or are willing to take as big of a chance on a best friend. family maybe, but teenagers hold on to the grasp of friendship more than adults do. I'm probably saying nothing and should have left this to someone like ourchair, but as great an actor as dicaprio is, I don't think he fits the bill except for maybe the fact that he's always sounded like a whiny teenager.

I know you didn't go there! Although...I never said he was a bad actor. I just hate him. I loved Romeo and Juliet and a few other I can't name...Blood Diamond...that's about all that comes to mind. Oh and there was another one where he had a bostonian accent, that one I didn't like so much. Oh and aviator, that movie was aweful.

Ok so one of the biggest things in the movie dealt with the main characters, who happened to be borderline high school dropouts with nothing better to do than fight rival biker gangs and outrun the police when nightfall arrived. Oh and pop pills at a local underground diner. These kids were rebels in their own way.

being the age they are, I think it's a little ridiculous that the main characters are being protrayed by middle aged men. With that said, I'm pretty sure they're going to completely change the whole character setup which is going to have to change the movie setup, no? The main thing you have to remember is that these "kids" are being to by the world at large, there's nothing you can do to help, let the grown ups handle it. Well we all know how the grown ups handle it. So basically it becomes one kids mission to save his friend from complete self annihilation without knowing what he's getting himself into. I don't think adults necessarily think like that or are willing to take as big of a chance on a best friend. family maybe, but teenagers hold on to the grasp of friendship more than adults do. I'm probably saying nothing and should have left this to someone like ourchair, but as great an actor as dicaprio is, I don't think he fits the bill except for maybe the fact that he's always sounded like a whiny teenager.

I don't know, the anime had a feeling of....most adults were gone. It was never said, but Neo-Tokyo was a mess, throughout the movie adults are only portrayed as military or police, everyone else were either teens or twenty-somethings.

To me, it always felt like this was a place where war had depleted a whole generation and created a generation of bastards and orphans.

I liked that feeling.

To have 30 something actors doing it....is like having 30 somethings do a movie of Lord of the Flies. IMO.

I'm sure the general public will love it, and those who've seen the anime will hate it. As a comic fan, I'm used to this.

There's already a TV show like this. And it is very popular, so. . .

Yeah....but I don't watch that, and I doubt I'll watch this.

Unless it comes on cable at 4 in the morning and I can't sleep.

DiCaprio is NOT officially cited as being set to star in this movie. He's only a co-producer, so any talk of how fit he is to play Kaneda --- or a teenage biker man from post-bomb Tokyo --- is kind of jumping the gun a bit.

At least as far as I know.

Otherwise, I'd be buying his stock on HSX.

true, but then you would have to assume they would change the names into Bill and Cody because there's no way you could get away with calling two pale American actors Tetsuo and Kaneda.

Very likely. Or an otherwise extremely Anglicized name.

DO NOT WANT

The original's fine (and the manga's not too shabby either). Why would I want to see an American version with a Christian bent to it?

*looks around, worried*

Because its all part of the program.

Just keep spending money on their products, and they won't kill you.

SSSSsssshhhhhh!!

Someone's coming!

*looks around, runs away*

I LOVE Akira so I'll check this out when it's out

I want the Akira movie to be set in New York.

And for the CGI team to accurately scan the genitals who ever plays Tetsuo.

So they can realistically inflate them in the climax.

EDIT: Wait. That sounds wrong. You know what I mean.

Last edited:
I hate this.

What are they going to call the movie if all the characters are white and have English names?

I hate this.

What are they going to call the movie if all the characters are white and have English names?

Well if you really want to watch the Japanese version it's always there. I'm willing to see how this looks before I blast it.

I hate this.

Well let's see Kaneda will be um, Kaneda. Because his mom is half-Japanese.

And Tetsuo, his (unseen) father was a corporate trader based in Tokyo. He liked the name "Tetsuo" because it means "clear thinking man".

Akira, will just be Akira.

Hell, I'm Chinese-Filipino and my given name is an English form of a name of Hebrew origin.

Well if you really want to watch the Japanese version it's always there. I'm willing to see how this looks before I blast it.

I'm no otaku by any means, but I think I movie like this should try to do some things from the sources material, like have it set in Japan.

Its like that awful Catwoman movie, they changed everything about the character accept name, so what was the point of the movie?

Its like that awful Catwoman movie, they changed everything about the character accept name, so what was the point of the movie?
To be fair, the origin was still consistent with how some writers have chosen to write a Catwoman, and nobody pretended she was supposed to be Selina Kyle.

The movie was dread awful because it had a dread awful script and a dread awful director, not because they changed the character.

To be fair, the origin was still consistent with how some writers have chosen to write a Catwoman, and nobody pretended she was supposed to be Selina Kyle.

The movie was dread awful because it had a dread awful script and a dread awful director, not because they changed the character.

Still when people hear of Catwoman, they expect that she is like the character from comics and/or Batman Returns, not some totally new character. I wouldn't want to see Spider-man movie set in Berlin where Spider-Man's civilian name is Helmut.

I don't like Westernization of non Western stories. The story is called Akira, its a Japanese name, the story should be set in Japan.

Still when people hear of Catwoman, they expect that she is like the character from comics and/or Batman Returns, not some totally new character. I wouldn't want to see Spider-man movie set in Berlin where Spider-Man's civilian name is Helmut.
The difference is that Spider-Man has never been interpreted as a "friendly Berliner wall-crawler" whereas Catwoman has more than once been a non-Selina Kyle character, whose only constant factor is that she's a cat-based thief/bounty hunter/crusader.

I would however, approve of a Berlin-based Spider-Man, produced by an obscure European director on a shoe string budget, featuring a guy who's web-swinger by day, ramshackle art-house film theatre employee by night. And he still cracks wise, in Deutsch.

Latest posts

Back