Live Action Akira

What's the point of adapting something if you change everything about, why not come up with new story ideas instead? This Hollywood laziness to the max, I'm not even a big fan of Akira, but I loathe Hollywood's current lazy attitude to storying telling and story adaption. That's what makes me unhappy here, Hollywood has run out ideas and are resorting to supremely lazy tactics here.
Well the only thing we know of so far that changed is the city and a character's names, which inherently is not lazy, nor does it immediately bastardize everything from it's source. Wait for at least something else, some image or footage, before going all up in arms about it. The city and names don't immediately change everything about a story

Actually to all you little douche bags who go "oh, it's only a name" or "no one would see if it, if it had only asian actors", then let's see the next Batman movie be about a black kid named Bruce Johnson, the story would be set in the Compton area of Los Angeles. Bruce would then dress up in a halloween Dracula costume after seeing his older brother get gunned down in gang warfare. Can you see where I'm headed with this? Just because YOU will accept substandard crap doesn't mean substandard should ever be acceptable.
Actually that comparison would only really worked if say Japan wanted to make their own Batman movie, have it set in Tokyo and Change Bruce's name into a Japaneses one. And that's all the changes that's been even rumored so far. There's just a cultural difference so far, that doesn't necessarily give this movie an automatic crab label.

I'm just saying, so far the only thing changed is the City's name and landmarks, and ethnicity of the characters. So far I haven't heard they completely overhauled the plot into something only vaguely familiar, at least wait to see if they change the really important aspect of the plot and characters before completely condemning it

Well the only thing we know of so far that changed is the city and a character's names, which inherently is not lazy, nor does it immediately bastardize everything from it's source. Wait for at least something else, some image or footage, before going all up in arms about it. The city and names don't immediately change everything about a story

Actually that comparison would only really worked if say Japan wanted to make their own Batman movie, have it set in Tokyo and Change Bruce's name into a Japaneses one. And that's all the changes that's been even rumored so far. There's just a cultural difference so far, that doesn't necessarily give this movie an automatic crab label.

I'm just saying, so far the only thing changed is the City's name and landmarks, and ethnicity of the characters. So far I haven't heard they completely overhauled the plot into something only vaguely familiar, at least wait to see if they change the really important aspect of the plot and characters before completely condemning it

The MAJOR problem with that is, if you've read the manga or watched the anime, you'd know that NeoTokyo is as much of a character as Tetsu, Keneda, Kei or any of the others. As wonderful as NYC is, it's not Tokyo.

Its not a good sign in my opinion, if they are willing to change these details, what's to say they won't change a bunch of other stuff too?

The fact is Japanese themes were very important to the story (like the references to Hiroshima), so Westernizing it losing some of the important themes. Changing the names changes the themes the name Tetsuo Shima was chosen for a purpose, they just didn't draw a name from a hat. Frankly the Tokyo's back drop is part of what made the visuals in the animated film is pleasing to the eye. Seriously NYC city again, there about a million films set in NYC that explore that city, how often has Tokyo been in a Hollywood film?

It be like making an X-Men film without using it as an allegory for racism and the civil rights movement, by taking away key themes the story becomes hollow.

Last edited:
The MAJOR problem with that is, if you've read the manga or watched the anime, you'd know that NeoTokyo is as much of a character as Tetsu, Keneda, Kei or any of the others. As wonderful as NYC is, it's not Tokyo.
Okay, Like I said I have very little knowledge on the source
Its not a good sign in my opinion, if they are willing to change these details, what's to say they won't change a bunch of other stuff too?
The changes made know are pretty reasonable from a film making point of view, it depends on the script and director how much is changed, just hope they find someone who is loyal to the source and that the studio don't but in.
The fact is Japanese themes were very important to the story (like the references to Hiroshima), so Westernizing it losing some of the important themes. Changing the names changes the themes the name Tetsuo Shima was chosen for a purpose, they just didn't draw a name from a hat. Frankly the Tokyo's back drop is part of what made the visuals in the animated film is pleasing to the eye.

I don't see a reason why changing it to NYC means you still have to change the themes, I mean you can, theorically, still have a Hiroshima allegory just showed through an American view point, is likely that the film will have it, maybe, I'm just saying wait a bit for confirmation on that.

Seriously NYC city again, there about a million films set in NYC that explore that city, how often has Tokyo been in a Hollywood film?
That is true and I said I would like to see something set in Tokyo without caucasian characters but you can't forget about the general movie audience who never heard of the original and probably not have much interest in a completely Japanese story.
It be like making an X-Men film without using it as an allegory for racism and the civil rights movement, by taking away key themes the story becomes hollow.
Well so far that hasn't been changed, all I'm saying is wait until you have proof that it is

That is true and I said I would like to see something set in Tokyo without caucasian characters but you can't forget about the general movie audience who never heard of the original and probably not have much interest in a completely Japanese story.
Ok, that's just ****ing silly. American audiences can't enjoy a movie unless it's set in America and starring Americans? This argument is the reason that a movie titled The Last Samurai starred Tom ****in' Cruise. Americans aren't retarded. We're more than capable of maintaining an interest in movies that don't have the requisite number of Caucasians.

Besides any advertisement with sufficient explosions will draw an audience and we all know it.

I did this as a protest against the WB movie.

all together now

TETSUO!!!!!!!!

TETSUO.jpg

Actually to all you little douche bags who go "oh, it's only a name" or "no one would see if it, if it had only asian actors", then let's see the next Batman movie be about a black kid named Bruce Johnson, the story would be set in the Compton area of Los Angeles. Bruce would then dress up in a halloween Dracula costume after seeing his older brother get gunned down in gang warfare. Can you see where I'm headed with this? Just because YOU will accept substandard crap doesn't mean substandard should ever be acceptable.

If Warner couldn't reproduce the story faithfully (and we know they generally can't, let's take **** like LoXG, and Batman & Robin as great examples), they shouldn't pony up the money for it.

This is nearly as bad as the Voltron script that floating around where it's set in ****ing MEXICO!!

They remade Internal Affairs into the The Departed and no one complained, so I really don't understand what you're getting at. Instead of looking at it as a live-action adaptation, think of it as a live-action remake.

They remade Internal Affairs into the The Departed and no one complained, so I really don't understand what you're getting at. Instead of looking at it as a live-action adaptation, think of it as a live-action remake.

Or just another interpretation.

How are we supposed to know if it's good or not before we see it....

Very true. But in order to get over 300 million at the box office a lot of people (Like me who enjoyed the film) would have to had seen it more than once. E.g opening week end I saw it with friends , then more friends, then my at the time girlfriend, then my brother making 4 times just that week end.

No.

That would be like the Bollywood remake of Superman. If you're going to remake, at least be faithful to the source. Another thing, to those that say, "oh no one would see a movie with predominantly asian actors" gee, I remember Crouching Tiger being rather successful. Y'know, I should approach WB to do a Batman movie where I can cast Carson Kressley as Bruce, and he and Two-Face are lovers. I mean, you could just look at it as a remake.

That would be like the Bollywood remake of Superman. If you're going to remake, at least be faithful to the source. Another thing, to those that say, "oh no one would see a movie with predominantly asian actors" gee, I remember Crouching Tiger being rather successful. Y'know, I should approach WB to do a Batman movie where I can cast Carson Kressley as Bruce, and he and Two-Face are lovers. I mean, you could just look at it as a remake.

But it works both ways. Marvel did a Manga of Spider-man that was diffrent to original and that is not the only case. Japanese Transformers, Indian Spider-man. Power puff girls Z and so much more.

It's ok as it's just the American film aimed at the western audience. Akira is very Japanese and if they made it as in usa the fact is most would not understand it. I know people would but it wouldn't make as much money and be a be a risky investment.

You never know this could keep the spirit of Akira but be very American. I understand where you are coming from I do but try looking at as another cultures interpretation. It might be very good.

I would still bet that it will really suck, how often has Hollywood changed a foreign product and the results were still good?

How about this: the original Akira was a landmark in animation and an incredible film in itself, and should not be remade into a live action film, period (they even said that this isn't a remake, it's an adaptation of the manga, which is why there's more than one movie planned).

I'll return to this thread when you guys get your heads fixed.

Last edited:
But it works both ways. Marvel did a Manga of Spider-man that was diffrent to original and that is not the only case. Japanese Transformers, Indian Spider-man. Power puff girls Z and so much more.

Right, but the thing there is that they're trying to hit a new target audience. They're trying to pull in new readers who wouldn't normally be interested in the Marvel U. It's the Ultimate Universe's purpose. So hitting a new demographic is what they're trying to achieve because manga are a somewhat recent popularity that Marvel tried to capitalize on.

It's ok as it's just the American film aimed at the western audience. Akira is very Japanese and if they made it as in usa the fact is most would not understand it. I know people would but it wouldn't make as much money and be a be a risky investment.

ok I don't know what movie you saw, but there is nothing completely Japanese with this movie. The characters and the city are Japanese and that's about it. We have biker gangs here. We have delinquints here. What is there to get confused about in this movie that couldn't or wouldn't adapt well in the american audience. Were any of you confused? Were you all slap **** retardedly baffled when you watched this movie? NO! Because any child with a coherent brain could understand the plot without having to Americanize it. That argument is a cop out on any level. That's like saying Japanese would be baffled by Blade Runner so the only way to understand it was to make a crap version of their own.

You never know this could keep the spirit of Akira but be very American. I understand where you are coming from I do but try looking at as another cultures interpretation. It might be very good.

There's really nothing cultural about it that would send Americans, or Europeans in your case, running for a Cliff's Note version of the anime. The movie, again, could be understood by anyone and their grandmama. Was there seriously anything other than the subtitles that you would have to interpret for an audience to enjoy?

Latest posts

Back