LOVE USM but...

It shouldn't be taken seriously, either. I mean, do you wan to do the "52" deal where each issue is a week in a year? I don't think that's at all a good idea... Sure, it would clear up some of the problems, but it would create them, too. It's a stretch to have something exciting happen every week in a year.

Goodwill said:
It shouldn't be taken seriously, either. I mean, do you wan to do the "52" deal where each issue is a week in a year? I don't think that's at all a good idea... Sure, it would clear up some of the problems, but it would create them, too. It's a stretch to have something exciting happen every week in a year.

Too true, too true. But neither do I want one issue telling me the Spidey/Dock Ock fight occurred in January, and another telling me it occurred in June (especially by the same writer). And why the hell is Peter still in school in July (which its specifically mentioned as being in the Cats & Kings arc).

Well, there was a three month period we did not see Spider-Man for, so it could be that was summer for him. I doubt Bendis would spend a lot of time writing arcs in the summer, although it would free a lot of things up, don't you think?

DIrishB said:
I just don't see why they can't keep the titles light on being dependant on past continuity (which in a lot of ways they've done) without having all the screw-ups. Think about it, in each case of a discrepancy (at least concerning most), a simple dialogue adjustment would fix most. To me this doesn't seem like its restraining the writers telling their stories. It seems more like the writers/editors were just careless in most cases.
You've pretty much answered the problem you posed --- editors and writers are mostly careless. A flip side of that coin would be to say that trying to coordinate everything would be a nightmare, a logistics task too large to handle.

But I doubt you'd agree with that. The thing is, "poor" continuity has always been the problem for any shared universe, and I've never seen that as anything worse or better in the 80s 90s or in today's comics and I just try not to fit everything perfectly in terms of chronological order.

I've also believed that for comics to work the way they have for Marvel --- retcons become necessary. (Which I'll elaborate some other time, I guess.)

ourchair said:
You've pretty much answered the problem you posed --- editors and writers are mostly careless. A flip side of that coin would be to say that trying to coordinate everything would be a nightmare, a logistics task too large to handle.

Not for me, cuz I'm the anal-retentive man!

But I doubt you'd agree with that.

Yup, you called it.

The thing is, "poor" continuity has always been the problem for any shared universe, and I've never seen that as anything worse or better in the 80s 90s or in today's comics and I just try not to fit everything perfectly in terms of chronological order.

I've also believed that for comics to work the way they have for Marvel --- retcons become necessary. (Which I'll elaborate some other time, I guess.)

So you're saying my timeline is a total lost cause and waste of time then, huh? You're just mad cuz I called you humorless.

;)

Well, there was a three month period we did not see Spider-Man for, so it could be that was summer for him. I doubt Bendis would spend a lot of time writing arcs in the summer, although it would free a lot of things up, don't you think?

i s'pose but there are a lot of good stories he could have told that he's missed out on...i have one idea for the summer still too come which could have a lot of off shoots too but its been left too late now i think

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
So you're saying my timeline is a total lost cause and waste of time then, huh? You're just mad cuz I called you humorless.
;)
How can I? To my memory, you've never called me humorless, let alone in this thread.

Latest posts

Back