Luther Manning in the UU

compound

I haven't read the "Strange" arc in USM, in full.

Has it been established whether the fight between the Ultimates and "Deathlok"/Luther Manning/the cyborg-zombie was actually in continuity, or part of Peter's magic-induced nightmare?

And if it's legit, did they reveal any further information about him, other than his real name? Like who created him? What motivated his attack? Where he came from before his rampage?

I'm pretty sure it is in continuty, cause everything he looks back on did happen, he just doesnt remember what happen after he got into Strange's house. And no they didnt give any backround story to him, just a throw away villain so far.

Random said:
I'm pretty sure it is in continuty, cause everything he looks back on did happen, he just doesnt remember what happen after he got into Strange's house. And no they didnt give any backround story to him, just a throw away villain so far.
I agree.

Doc Comic said:
We don't know if that's even Luther Manning. It could be Michael Collins for all we know.
I'm fairly certain he was named in the issue. Like I said, never read it in full, but I skimmed that particular scene in the comic shop, and I'm quite sure his civilian identity was disclosed as Luther Manning.

Last edited:
compound said:
I'm fairly certain he was numed in the issue. Like I said, never read it in full, but I skimmed that particular scene in the comic shop, and I'm quite sure I remember Manning being named.
Yeah, that all they told us. One of the Ultimates called him Luther Manning or something.

compound said:
I'm fairly certain he was named in the issue. Like I said, never read it in full, but I skimmed that particular scene in the comic shop, and I'm quite sure his civilian identity was disclosed as Luther Manning.
You're not even 100% positive and you wanted me to add him to the 1st Apperance thread? :wink:

Can someone verify this?

icemastertron said:
You're not even 100% positive and you wanted me to add him to the 1st Apperance thread? :wink:
Guilty as charged :oops:

I wanted it declared 'official' so that when I used Manning in my entry for this week's Ultimization Game -- complete with a semi-explanation for his melee in New York -- it would seem canonical.

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those pesky kids and that dog! :fist-shaking smiley:

I put Luther Manning down as a possible Handbook entry, and we only discounted him because we didn't know enough about him to warrant cutting someone else from the book to make the space. So it seems he was real.

Stuart said:
I put Luther Manning down as a possible Handbook entry, and we only discounted him because we didn't know enough about him to warrant cutting someone else from the book to make the space. So it seems he was real.
Once again, the truth has been revealed.

Stuart said:
Thanks, Stuart, for verifying. :)

UltimateE said:
We're talking UU here...

True, but up to this point their past history has seemed to match our own, at least up until the recent past. They may or may not still have the Twin Towers in New York, and Bush may or may not be president, though he only has one daughter apparently instead of two, and she has a different name. So I guess it is entirely possible that Ultimate Deathlok is the cyborg, zombie version of Michael Collins, The Big Man, Liberator of the southern 26 counties. That would be cool. Maybe Ultimate Morbius could be Eamon De Valera?

DIrishB said:
True, but up to this point their past history has seemed to match our own, at least up until the recent past. They may or may not still have the Twin Towers in New York, and Bush may or may not be president, though he only has one daughter apparently instead of two, and she has a different name. So I guess it is entirely possible that Ultimate Deathlok is the cyborg, zombie version of Michael Collins, The Big Man, Liberator of the southern 26 counties. That would be cool. Maybe Ultimate Morbius could be Eamon De Valera?

It's already been stated in that issue that Ultimate Deathlok (who is not even referred to that name), is called Luther Manning. Still, the zombie cyborg aspect Michael Collins can easily be merged with Ultimate Luther Manning. The UU has made "Ultimate hybrids" several times. Ultimate Proteus is actually a combination of David Haller and Joesph MacTaggart hence the real name David McTaggart. Captain Marvel's name is a mixture of both the 616 original and descendant. Most recently, Ultimate Damage Control is a mixture of the team Damage Control and the Wrecking Crew, and Ultimate Vision is a mixture of Vision and Jocasta.

cmdrjanjalani said:
It's already been stated in that issue that Ultimate Deathlok (who is not even referred to that name), is called Luther Manning. Still, the zombie cyborg aspect Michael Collins can easily be merged with Ultimate Luther Manning. The UU has made "Ultimate hybrids" several times. Ultimate Proteus is actually a combination of David Haller and Joesph MacTaggart hence the real name David McTaggart. Captain Marvel's name is a mixture of both the 616 original and descendant. Most recently, Ultimate Damage Control is a mixture of the team Damage Control and the Wrecking Crew, and Ultimate Vision is a mixture of Vision and Jocasta.

Ummm, Ultimate Damage Control is not Ultimate Damage Control, but Ultimate Wrecking Crew with a minor aspect reminiscent of Damage Control.

And by the way, I was joking about the whole Michael Collins thing. I was referring to an Irish Nationalist and one of the founding members of the IRA who was assassinated in the mid 1920's. I'm pretty sure no character named Michael Collins has ever appeared in a Marvel book.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
I'm pretty sure no character named Michael Collins has ever appeared in a Marvel book.

Huh...I thought that was Deathlok's real name.

DIrishB said:
No, I'm pretty sure it was Luther Manning.

There was a time when Deathloks real name was Micheal Collins, i dont know why, either there were 2 Deathloks or he had a dual identity. Someone sort this out, i dont feel like googling it

Nurhachi said:
There was a time when Deathloks real name was Micheal Collins

That's what I thought.

Latest posts

Back