Man of Steel Discussion (Spoilers)

What would you rate Man of Steel?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
This movie has a scene where Superman takes Zod out of an empty cornfield into a populated area lol

So your opinion is it'd have been better for Superman to allow who knows how many people to die at Zod's hands instead of him fighting him. Granted the middle of Metropolis wasn't the ideal battleground, but again, that was chosen by Zod, not Superman.

Yeah, to blame Superman for collateral damage in the battle in Metropolis is pretty ridiculous. I get not liking the movie (I don't like portions), but saying Superman killed thousands of people is just dumb. You have a villain who is just as strong as Superman was, and who was dead set on killing as many humans as he could. I'm not sure Superman could force him out of the city as easily as he would be a villain who wasn't his physical equal. Granted, I haven't seen the movie for awhile so some of the specifics are blurry. Im just not exactly sure what critics wanted Superman to do in that situation. He couldn't force Zod out of the city...Zod was just as strong as Superman and wouldn't leave. Was he just not supposed to fight Zod, and ignore him? Zod had stated he wanted to kill as many people as he would.

This movie has a Lois Lane who's only purpose is for Superman to save her lol

Last edited:
This movie has a Lois Lane who's only purpose is for Superman to save her lol

I'm not even debating this anymore, you're just saying random crap that isn't even accurate. Besides the fact Lois has largely been established as a damsel in distress archtype, and this movie had him save her, what, once in the ship when he used his heat vision to cauterize her wound? You also completely ignore the fact she was the first person outside of Smallville to see Clark for what he really is, and followed that up with multiple interviews.

The other aspect of Lois being essentially a fearless reporter, always going towards danger to get the story, was also decently established. She was used as a believable source for character exposition for Superman, to provide his backstory to for both her reports and the knowledge of the viewer.

Keep on trolling, wyo.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why in Man of Steel young Clark Kent wears a towel around his neck at the end and does the classic pose. WE do it as kids because that's what Superman (the first superhero) and the other heroes did but in that universe they don't really exist. Sure the classic pulp heroes wore capes but why red and with THAT pose? I know Batman is going to be forty something in the next film, was he imitating Batman? Does the JSA exist? If either of them exist why were people so shocked when people with powers showed up? Is Batman just fighting powerless villains for his whole carrier?

2792810-tumblr_lqwb2wKk4e1qcud1ho1_500.png

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why in Man of Steel young Clark Kent wears a towel around his neck at the end and does the classic pose. WE do it as kids because that's what Superman (the first superhero) and the other heroes did but in that universe they don't really exist. Sure the classic pulp heroes wore capes but why red and with THAT pose? I know Batman is going to be forty something in the next film, was he imitating Batman? Does the JSA exist? If either of them exist why were people so shocked when people with powers showed up? Is Batman just fighting powerless villains for his whole carrier?

You answered your own question, presumably. Other, fictional pulp heroes presumably exist in that universe, and some probably wear capes. And the hands on hips, chest puffed out pose goes far beyond Superman, and I'd argue likely predates him.

Batman exists, but is good at his job. He's not looking for attention from the media or police, so even though he's been doing it for awhile he's largely an urban legend to everyone but the criminals unfortunate to run into him. So I doubt young Clark was imitating Batman, since it's entirely possible he doesn't even know Batman exists, either as a kid or an adult (though it's more likely he knows of him as an adult).

As for the JSA existing? I seriously doubt it, and would outright state no. If it's a big deal the JLA forms later on, I'd put that super team as being the first, hence no JSA, least not yet.

As for why people are shocked when people with powers show up, it's simple. Even with Batman running around doing his thing, as I said he's largely an urban legend. He's also still human. No one before Superman, Zod, and the other Kryptonians had ever displayed such powers/abilities to the world at large before the events of Man of Steel. Batman v Superman will likely reveal Wonder Woman and Batman to the world at large (it may also reveal Cyborg, Aquaman, Flash, etc, depending on how the script plays out and what rumors prove true). Justice League will likely reveal the rest.

As for Batman's villains, who knows? That hasn't been revealed at all, yet.

So to wrap up, you're kind reaching with this one. The questions you're asking either have blatantly obvious answers or none at all, since we won't find out certain things until Batman v Superman, or Justice League, or a Batman solo film later down the road.

So yeah, the question about Clark wearing a cape as a boy seems pretty obvious. Chalk it up to him imitating fictional superheroes of his world (or do you really think his reality doesn't have comic books and cartoons?).

2792810-tumblr_lqwb2wKk4e1qcud1ho1_500.png

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. There are a few things that don't make sense, but I still think it was an ok movie.

But, that specifically does make sense if you consider the likelihood of pulp heroes or superheroes existing as fiction in the world of Man of Steel.

But there's really nothing in the movie to suggest that pulp heroes or superheroes exist in this world (could be wrong...haven't seen it in awhile). If that was the angle they were going for, there needed to be something in there establishing what that red cape was in reference to, especially since a red cape and that pose is synonymous with Superman. I don't know, I just don't buy that argument. It seems like a way to rationalize a plot hole, more than anything else.

But there's really nothing in the movie to suggest that pulp heroes or superheroes exist in this world (could be wrong...haven't seen it in awhile). If that was the angle they were going for, there needed to be something in there establishing what that red cape was in reference to, especially since a red cape and that pose is synonymous with Superman. I don't know, I just don't buy that argument. It seems like a way to rationalize a plot hole, more than anything else.

Not at all. I'd argue the idea that there isn't pulp heroes or comic superheroes is far less believable. The world is very closely patterned after our own world, just it has superheroes.

Do you also think the comic world reality within DC comics has no comic books or fictional heroes of their own? Heck, the recent issue of Multiversity confirmed there were. Granted that's a different reality to the main DC reality, and in and of itself isn't the same as the film universe.

However, I think it's kind of stupid to expect that world is devoid of their own fictional super heroes and pulp heroes in fiction. There doesn't need to be a scene to address that. It would've been extraneous and unnecessary. It's also not a plot hole, in any way.

That world has school buses, bullies, farms, businesses, armed forces, buildings, bicycles, cars, televisions, etc, all of which were directly seen in the film, along with who knows how many other similarities to our own world. The idea that comic books, super heroes, cartoons, etc don't exist in that world to have likely influenced young Clark for that scene is pretty ludicrous. It's anything but a plot hole. It's based on a safe presumption.

Latest posts

Back