Mark Raxton (spoilers!!!!!)

As a really embarassing fan of Spider-Man (though that's nothing since you're all already aware of the amount of trivial Marvel characters I keep track of), I am totally excited to see this no matter how stupid it may be, because I read a lot of damned Molten Man stories back in the day.

He was such a weird f--ed up character, I kid you not, and anyone who was part of 616 Liz Allen's crazy little family is always worth a laugh for me, whether they're down on their luck stepbrothers or murderous husbands.

I think Liz' hatred of posthumans in general should be explored more often (whether or not in the context of mutants or Mark Raxton or psycho supervillain husbands) because it lends itself to so many ideas that would be rich with nuance.

I completely agree with you, however, don't you think that having this whole step-brother thing come to play is a little obscure and out of nowhere? Not only that, but I think it would make Liz a more important character too fast and something that doesn't need to be explored without Geldoff of someone like Johnny Storm. Both of those characters have lent a hand in her growth, but to have someone come in as off-sounding as Raxton is going to... It would be odd. I'd like to delve more into what she actually feels about Spider-Man in a story rather than these off characters that only make her think about that stuff when they appear. We'll see, though, maybe Raxton will be interesting after all.

Goodwill said:
I completely agree with you, however, don't you think that having this whole step-brother thing come to play is a little obscure and out of nowhere? Not only that, but I think it would make Liz a more important character too fast
Well, you're right about that.

But I believe that such an idea can be done with a few scenes without having to devote too much time to Liz Allen or giving her more importance than is necessary. I think it's possible to execute that in either way, anyway, whether it's Spider-Man or it's another posthuman character. But I don't necessarily think that off-characters as you refer to them would be making Liz just SUDDENLY thinking about her own feelings towards post-humans, so much as giving us a scene in which she reacts to them. I know

I'm being vague here, but I'm thinking of the kinds of scenes that BKV likes to write into Ultimate X-Men. For example, there's a scene from Cry Wolf where Logan talks about how mutants like Wolfsbane the circus performer lead their own lives according to their own standards which struck me as particularly resonant. Also, the scene from The Tempest in which Storm is befuddled over how anyone could want to "distinguish" themselves with tattoos when most mutants just struggle to "fit in" was quite remarkable. I see Liz as having a scene like this, in which puzzling questions get obvious yet sagely answers. :D

And also, I don't believe Mark Raxton should follow all of his character traits from the 616 continuity, that's just me showing of my trivial knowledge. :D

ultimate ultxon

me thinks the media in usm will call raxton the molten man, if they dont name him that and raxton picks the name himself, i may have to close my eyes and pretend it didnt happen...

Ultimate ultxon, Captain? Man, my name is inadvertenly making people mispell Ultron's name and now I guess soon enough we'll have Mark Ultxon. I'm confused and sorry at the same time.

sidetracked

Ultxon said:
Ultimate ultxon, Captain? Man, my name is inadvertenly making people mispell Ultron's name and now I guess soon enough we'll have Mark Ultxon. I'm confused and sorry at the same time.

no reason to apologize, i put your name in the title just to get you to read what i had to say....i put stuff like that in the titles to make people think......however most of you think i am crazy....i feel like thor in the ultimates....you know, the whole board thinking im nuts and ultimate E (cap america) threatening to take me down....errrrrr...

back to usm....

Woah, it's that guy. :shock:

I know him from pics, but i never actually knew his name. :lol:

Caduceus said:
Wow. Another Spidey villain formed in a lab accident with a personal connection to someone close to spidey. How rare.

Honestly, I'd really prefer him to be a mutant. It'd be so much more interesting even if the problems with Liz are predictable, I think it could be a good story.

Yeah, because mutants are a rarity. :roll:

Also, when a book is called Spider-Man I don't see why someone couldn't call themselves "Molten Man".

Villains can't be dramatic anymore since Bendis and Millar took over...

mer de noms

Bass said:

Also, when a book is called Spider-Man I don't see why someone couldn't call themselves "Molten Man".

i see what you are saying, but here is what i mean....spider-man is the name, but he(peter) never choose that name, it was given....the green goblin wasnt choosen by norman, the media came up with that...doctor octopus wasnt choosen, the media gave that to him, all of these arent just coincidences, it would be really silly if a "real world" type writer like bendis would have these guys call themselves these code names and want to be taken seriously....

the best example, ultimate six...clearly they are the sinister six, but do you think they really would want to think of themselves as sinister???

you can call me the arrogant captain, and make a book and when it catches on like wildfire, ill go with it...but dont expect me to think of myself as the "arrogant captain"
get my drift? anyone else get what im trying to say?

Bass said:

I totally agree with you, however, since this guy is a minor villain, don't you think he should just kinda be forgotten when all is said and done? Let him have his storyline, sure, but... WAIT.

Liz Allen tries hooking MJ up with Mark to get over Peter... Peter's new competition in school! BAM, cool *** story because we've got another supporting character!

house of M.a.r.k

Goodwill said:
ILiz Allen tries hooking MJ up with Mark to get over Peter... Peter's new competition in school! BAM, cool *** story because we've got another supporting character!

exactly....thats what my intuition is telling me....the solit said something about friends trying to help friends cope with the breakup...what better way to cope with it than to have a rebound....

mj finds out mark has powers or something and mark does something bad, pete gets in the mix and a collision course takes place...

I think that could actually work, especially if Mark Raxton actually tried to outdo Peter super hero-wise. I think that it would be cool if Peter had some competition, although, I don't think Molten Man is a good candidate, I would still rather see that than something else. We'll see what happens, though, I'm hoping Molten Man is competition instead of a villain... Peter needs some of that.

Is Mark gonna bea good guy or a bad guy? If he's a good guy with powers what are him and Spidey gonna form a super friends team? I say they have him become a good guy they battle some other villain and mark gets killed and Peter actually starts questioning getting himself killed instead of getting everyone else around him killed.

I just look at where USM is going and I think that if was the USM writer, I'd be thinking about how Gwen would've been a wonderful character to have around...

nah

TheManWithoutFear said:
Is Mark gonna bea good guy or a bad guy? If he's a good guy with powers what are him and Spidey gonna form a super friends team? I say they have him become a good guy they battle some other villain and mark gets killed and Peter actually starts questioning getting himself killed instead of getting everyone else around him killed.

mark getting killed off..nah, moving away...maybe, but not killed off so soon, at most i see him going to the trisk over anything else...

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm avoiding "moving away" it's too cheese.
Yeah, I agree. Like Harry didn't already do the whole "disappear from cast" schtick twice already in the early days of USM.

I'd rather him move away than die. Enough people die already in this damn book. DAMN YOU BENDIS! I wodner if he'll get locked up in SHIELD? :D

I'd rather him not get powers now...

Latest posts

Back